Presented by David Girard at the Scriba Municipal Building on October 15, 2013 for the Scriba Historical Society meeting. Girard talked about the history of the plant in the area, an overview of the services it offers, and future of the industry and plans for the plant.
Transcript of Novelis 50th Proud Years in Scriba, NY
1. Novelis 50 Proud Years October 14, 2013 Page 1 2013 Novelis Inc.
2. Novelis Oswego Works Page 2 2013 Novelis Inc.
3. Palladium Times February 21, 1961 Site Selected Scriba, NY MONTREAL, Canada February 21, 1961 - A site near Oswego, New York has been selected as the location of the aluminum hot rolling mill to be built and owned jointly by Aluminum Limited, The Bridgeport Brass Co., Cerro Corp. and the Scovill Manufacturing Co. it was announced today. Oswego, on the southeast short of Lake Ontario, is a city of 25,000 people. Primary considerations in the choice are its location in relation to the plants of the four companies, access to water, rail and highway transportation, as well as the availability of qualified workers. The plant, initially named Alroll, was expected to take 18 months to build and shipments would be primarily by rail to plants in Connecticut, Ohio, West Virginia and Kingston, Ontario. The primary source of raw material aluminum ingots - would move by water and rail from Quebec. Initially, the plant was a one-shift operation employing approximately 150 hourly workers, with another 30 to 40 in supervisory and clerical roles, with peak employment exceeding 500. With the exception of a few technical and supervisory personnel, the company expected to employ local persons and those who would make their home in Oswego. The plant opened its doors in 1963. Page 3 2013 Novelis Inc.
4. EHS / People ta us S Profitability Page 4 2013 Novelis Inc. ity il ab in Quality
5. How do we achieve sustainability?? 50 years of employing people and providing aluminum 30 years ago: 1250 employees 5 years ago: 650 employees Today: 1000 employees (with another 200 likely) Thinking differently Creative use of automation Intelligent use of resources Working safely Page 5 2013 Novelis Inc.
6. Job Application Office Oswego, 1st & Bridge Streets Reeds Pharmacy Page 6 2013 Novelis Inc.
7. Original Plant Construction Page 7 2013 Novelis Inc.
8. Main Office Building 1960s Page 8 2013 Novelis Inc.
9. Plant Operator Page 9 2013 Novelis Inc.
10. Aluminum Rolling Page 10 2013 Novelis Inc.
11. Growth 1963 - 1973 June 21, 1963 Plant (originally named Alroll) opens as joint ownership between 4 companies 1964 Plate-finishing mill begins full production 1965 Alcan Aluminum buys out its 3 partners 1966 - Blizzard strands 21 employees for 3 days in the plant 1970 Cold Mill 72 mill opens Page 11 2013 Novelis Inc.
12. Growth 1973 - 1983 1973 Alcan recycling center opens 1975 Cold Mill 88 mill opens 1979 New remelt facilities begin production 1981 New central maintenance building opens, Remelt #5 completed & recycle center decoater/shredder begins producing UBCs 1983 Hot Line 100 tandem mill upgraded to full computer automation Page 12 2013 Novelis Inc.
13. Growth 1983 - 1993 1985 New coolant system added to Hot Line 100 Mill 1989 Cold Mill Stamco 2 Line installed, new main cafeteria & locker rooms added 1991 Hot Mill Basic/Process Automation & F2 Stand Project complete Page 13 2013 Novelis Inc.
14. 1993 - 2003 1995 Cold Mill VOC emission control upgrade & Sithe Energies becomes electric/steam provider 2000 New Cold Mill packaging line installed 2001 Cooling-water recirculation system installed Page 14 2013 Novelis Inc.
15. Growth 2003 - 2013 2006 TL3 Finishing Line & Fusion Casting Center (RM7) added 2013 Completing addition of two CASH finishing lines for automotive applications Page 15 2013 Novelis Inc.
16. Oswego Production Process Hot Mill RECYCLE 1 Recycle, Melt & Cast PROCESS SCRAP MELTING FURNACE INGOT WASH REVERSING MILL 4 STAND FINISHING MILL REWIND HOLDING FURNACE MOLTEN ALUMINUM PUSHER FURNACE RECYCLE 2 HOT MILL SCRAP HOT BAND TO OSWEGO COLD MILL D.C. CASTER Cold Mill Ford Customer Scrap SHIPPING SOAKING PITS ALUMINUM INGOT OUTPUT SLITTER ALLOYING INGREDIENTS COLD ROLLING MILLS PURCHASED ALUMINUM SCRAP CASH INGOT PREHEAT PACKAGING PROCESS SCRAP FROM OTHER PLANTS INGOT SCALPING Page 16 2013 Novelis Inc. COLD MILL SCRAP Confidential For Internal Use Only Process Schematic 16 Novelis Inc. 2011
17. Expansion Building Construction Hot Mill Remelt Page 17 2013 Novelis Inc. Cold Mill Expansion
18. Today Page 18 2013 Novelis Inc.
19. Markets We Serve Beverage Cans Page 19 2013 Novelis Inc. Specialties Automotive
20. Products Page 20 2013 Novelis Inc.
21. Products Page 21 2013 Novelis Inc.
22. Recycle Page 22 2013 Novelis Inc.
23. Remelt - Casting Page 23 2013 Novelis Inc.
24. Hot Mill Page 24 2013 Novelis Inc.
25. Cold Mill Page 25 2013 Novelis Inc.
26. Community Cans for the Community most recently we were able to provide science programs through the MOST museum to 4-6 grade students at Oswego schools Habitat for Humanity have supported for many years, house of cans (project), this week we are doing a landscape/swing set project at a Habitat House United Way employee participation and company match FIRST Robotics starting a robotics team with Oswego High school this year October 2012 volunteer project at Fitzhugh Elementary to makeover their library and the outside of the school. We donated math & science resources to the library Tree Canopy project with Oswego Renaissance Association to take place this weekend and next weekend we will plant trees along Bridge Street STEM Scholarship Program Page 26 2013 Novelis Inc.