Niagara falls

download

of 10

  • date post

    14-Jan-2015
  • Category

    Education
  • view

    2.098
  • download

    0

Embed Size (px)

description

ESL

transcript

  • 1. Niagara Falls . Niagara Falls is not the tallest, or the longest waterfall in the world, but it is one of the most famous

2. What is the origin of the word Niagara?

  • The word Niagara comes from the name of an Indian town called Ongniaahra, meaning point of land cut into two.

3. How many falls are there at Niagara?

  • There are three falls at Niagara: the American Falls, the Bridal Veil Falls, and the Horseshoe Falls. All the falls are on Niagara River.
  • The American Falls

4. The American Falls

  • The American Falls is completely within the USA, state of New York.
  • The height of the American Falls is between 70 to 110 feet (2134meters).
  • In 1969 all water flow to the American Falls was stopped. The US army engineers wanted to see if the rocks at the base could be removed to give the falls a better look.
  • But the cost was too high. It was decided not tomake any changes to the falls.

5. The Bridal Veil Falls

  • Bridal Veil

6. The Bridal Veil Falls

  • The Bridal Veil Falls is the smallest of the three waterfalls
  • The Bridal Veil Falls is located on the USA side.

7. The Horseshoe Falls

  • The Horseshoe falls is also known as Canadian falls.
  • It is the most impressive of the three falls that make up Niagara Falls.
  • At the center of the Horseshoe Falls the water is about 3 meters deep.
  • At the base of the falls the water is about56 meters deep.

8. View of the Horseshoe Falls 9.

  • The water of the Horseshoe Fallspasses at a speed of about 32 km/h.
  • The fall is 53 meters high.
  • 90% of the water of the Niagara River flows over Horseshoe Falls, while the other 10% flows over the American Falls.

10.

  • THEEND