- 1. Niagara Falls . Niagara Falls is not the tallest, or the longest waterfall in the world, but it is one of the most famous
2. What is the origin of the word Niagara?
- The word Niagara comes from the name of an Indian town called Ongniaahra, meaning point of land cut into two.
3. How many falls are there at Niagara?
- There are three falls at Niagara: the American Falls, the Bridal Veil Falls, and the Horseshoe Falls. All the falls are on Niagara River.
4. The American Falls
- The American Falls is completely within the USA, state of New York.
- The height of the American Falls is between 70 to 110 feet (2134meters).
- In 1969 all water flow to the American Falls was stopped. The US army engineers wanted to see if the rocks at the base could be removed to give the falls a better look.
- But the cost was too high. It was decided not tomake any changes to the falls.
5. The Bridal Veil Falls
6. The Bridal Veil Falls
- The Bridal Veil Falls is the smallest of the three waterfalls
- The Bridal Veil Falls is located on the USA side.
7. The Horseshoe Falls
- The Horseshoe falls is also known as Canadian falls.
- It is the most impressive of the three falls that make up Niagara Falls.
- At the center of the Horseshoe Falls the water is about 3 meters deep.
- At the base of the falls the water is about56 meters deep.
8. View of the Horseshoe Falls 9.
- The water of the Horseshoe Fallspasses at a speed of about 32 km/h.
- The fall is 53 meters high.
- 90% of the water of the Niagara River flows over Horseshoe Falls, while the other 10% flows over the American Falls.