Mr. Wilmot’s Kick-Butt Keystone Exam Review May 2014.
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Mr. Wilmot’s Kick-Butt Keystone Exam Review May 2014.
- Slide 1
- Mr. Wilmots Kick-Butt Keystone Exam Review May 2014
- Slide 2
- onion cells cheek cells cardiac cells leaf cells paramecium euglena amoeba bacterium
- Slide 3
- CELL THEORY states that: i) Living things are made up of ____ or _____ cells. ii) All cells come from __________ cells. iii) The cell is the basic unit of ___. one more pre-existing life unicellularmulticellular
- Slide 4
- are called __________. and other _______________ organelles are called _________. Cells can come in TWO CATEGORIES: i) Cells that contain a ___________ membranebound membrane boundeukaryotic ii) Cells that have DNA which is NOT surrounded by a _________ and which have no _______________ organelles prokaryotic membranebound membrane bound membrane truenucleus true nucleus
- Slide 5
- Slide 6
- The main PURPOSE of reproduction is to produce ________ which ensures ______ continuity from generation to generation. There are two MAIN TYPES of reproduction: a)The type involving ______ and ____ offspringgenetic sexual b)The type NOT involving sperm and egg is called _______ reproduction. asexual eggsperm gametes (otherwise known as _______ ) is called ______ reproduction.
- Slide 7
- Slide 8
- a) ______ growth movements are ______________ responses to stimuli. b) ______ growth movements are __________ responses to stimuli. Organisms that are free moving (can move on their own) exhibit movement called __________. non-directional Tropic locomotion Organisms that are NOT free moving exhibit movements called ________________ growthmovements growth movements Nastic directional of which there are TWO TYPES:
- Slide 9
- Slide 10
- They must ________ other organisms for energy. along with the energy found in _______ ACQUIRING energy can be done in two major ways: a)Some organisms called __________ b)Some organisms called ____________ heterotrophs photosynthesis chlorophyll autotrophs sunlight consume can MAKE their own glucose using a green pigment called __________ in a process called _____________. CANNOT make their own glucose.
- Slide 11
- which can be divided into two branches: USING energy is done through ________________ within the cells of an organism. The sum of these chemical reactions is called an organisms __________ metabolism small and simple molecules large and complex molecules ii) _________ is the BREAK DOWN of large and complex molecules into small and simple ones. Catabolism i) _________ is the BUILDING UP of large and complex molecules from small and simple ones. Anabolism chemicalreactions chemical reactions
- Slide 12
- Slide 13
- which involves gaining more ______ (the liquid) and _________ (the machinery of the cell). For a unicellular organism to grow and develop, it must increase the volume of its _________, cytoplasm cytosol organelles For a multicellular organism to grow and develop, it must undergo cell _______ and ____________. divisionspecialization Cells specialize into different types of tissues.
- Slide 14
- molecule atom macro- molecule organelle cell tissues organ organ system organism
- Slide 15
- Slide 16
- However, viruses do not exhibit some of the other characteristics of life, and are therefore classified as ________. This genetic information comes in the form of a molecule called ____ Viruses also contain genetic information in the form of DNA or ____ (in retroviruses). deoxyribonucleicacid deoxyribonucleic acid DNA RNA non-living DNA which stands for ___________________.
- Slide 17
- winter summer water goldenrod goldenrod gall goldenrod gall fly goldenrod gall fly goldenrod gall fly larvae
- Slide 18
- These changes may be in their _______ environment or their _______ environment. All living things respond to _______ (stimuli) in their environment. changes internal external Insulin Response Insulin Response This response to change brings the organism back to equilibrium or ___________ homeostasisconstant which is a ________ internal state.
- Slide 19
- Slide 20
- that allow them to SURVIVE and REPRODUCE better than others are said to have more ______. which he called ______________. came up with a mechanism for ________ The British naturalist named _____________ Individuals with traits or __________ Due to random _________ in DNA, individuals will differ in genetically determined traits. CharlesDarwin Charles Darwin evolution naturalselection natural selection mutations fitness adaptations
- Slide 21