Macmillan 5 booklet t1

1 NOZHA SCHOOLS Ismailia Road Branch Revision Sheet English 5 th Prim . First Term 2010 / 2011 Name :……………………………………………………………….……………………. Class : :……………………………………………………………….…………………….
  • Upload

-
  • Category

Education

• view

• download

description

بوكلت

Transcript of Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Page 1: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

NOZHA SCHOOLS Ismailia Road Branch

Revision Sheet English

5thPrim . First Term 2010 / 2011

Name :……………………………………………………………….……………………. Class : :……………………………………………………………….…………………….

Page 2: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Cairo Governorate Department : English Nozha Directorate of Education Form : 5th Primary Nozha Language Schools Revision Sheet “Ismailia Road” Branch First Term

Macmillan English Unit 1 : The Quest

New Vocabulary : * Quest : a long journey in which yo are searching for something . * Mystery : something strange or not known which has not been explained or understood . * Fisherman : someone who catches fish especially as their job . * Harbour : an area of water next to the coast often protected from the sea by a thick wall , where ships and boats can stop . * Worried : unhappy because you are thinking about problems or unpleasant things that might happen . * Calm : peaceful and quiet , without hurried movement , worry or noise . * Monsoon : the season of heavy rain during the summer in hot countries . * Perfect : complete and correct in every way of the best possible type or without fault . * Mend : to repair or fix something that’s broken or damaged . * Fishing net : a piece of material with small holes in it , that’s used for catching fish . * Rough sea : stormy and violent sea , that’s not calm or quiet . A sea with high waves and strong wind . Rough ≠ calm * Fortune–teller : a person , usually a woman , who claims to be able to tell what will happen in the future . * Lean : to bend from the waist . To be in a position that isn't upright . Lean Leant * Creature : an animal or a living being like people and animals but not plants * Massive : very big – huge . * Secretive : people who are secretive hide their feelings , thoughts , intentions and actions from other people . * Find out : to learn or discover a fact that was hidden . * Reverse : to cause to go backwards . To change the direction of something to the opposite . * Worth : having a particular value . * A wreck : a ship lost at sea or partly destroyed on rocks . * Gulf : a large deep stretch of sea partly enclosed by land .

Page 3: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Notice the following :

• It's the beginning of a new term . • There were many ships waiting in the harbour . • This big house is perfect for our large family . • After it damaged , the boat settled in the bottom of the sea . • Tom has been studying English for three hours . • Sara has no reason for not attending the party . • You shouldn't go out in bad weather . • He swam away from the ship . • Mrs. Brown looks sad . May be , there's something wrong with her

family . • Worrying about your health can make you ill . • I'm going to pick up my coat from the laundry . • Be careful at John ! He is running carelessly across the street . • He leant over to hear what she said • The fisherman was happy when his fishing net caught on a lot of fish .

New Structure : **Nouns : naming words . They are names of things that you can touch , taste , hear , smell , or see . Examples : rocks , fish , boats , flags , harbour ………………………..etc. **Abstract nouns : names of things that you think or feel .They aren't real or solid things . Examples : sadness – jealousy – darkness – happiness .

Page 4: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Grammar 1. The Present Continuous Tense

* Usage : The present continuous tense is used to talk about : a) Things happening now . ex: John is in his bedroom at the moment . He is doing his homework . b) Temporary activities . ex: My brother is staying with his friends in London until he finds somewhere to live . c) Situations of change . ex: The weather is getting hotter these days . d) Future arrangements . ex: We are flying to Spain on a school trip next month . * Key Words : now , at present , at the moment , today , look ! , listen ! , smell ! , be careful ! , be quite ! , watch ! * Form : I am He / She / It is verb + ing They / We / You * Examples :

• They are doing their homework . • I’m watching TV . • She is cooking dinner . • We are reading stories .

Page 5: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

* Spelling rules : 1 . If the verb ends with (e) , cross it out when adding ( ing ) . come coming write writing 2. If the verb ends with “ one vowel + consonant “ double the last letter then add

( ing ) . run running get getting but: open opening 3. If the verb ends with “ two vowels + consonant “ don’t double the last letter , just add ( ing ) . speak speaking look looking 4. If the verb ends with ( ie ) , change them into ( y ) then add ( ing ) . die dying tie tying 5. If the verb ends with ( y ) , keep it as it is and add “ ing “ . buy buying tidy tidying * Negative : Positive sentences in the present continuous are changed into negative by adding “not“ after : am , is or are .

am am not . is is not ( isn’t ) . are are not ( aren’t ) . * They are doing their homework . They aren’t doing their homework . * I’m sitting under a tree . I’m not sitting under a tree .

Page 6: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

* Questions : * Mum is frying some chips . Is mum frying any chips ? What is mum doing ? * The mice are hiding in the hole . Are the mice hiding in the hole ? Where are the mice hiding ?

2. The Present Simple Tense

* Usage : The present simple tense is used for : a) Facts ( things that are true in general ) : ex : The earth goes round the sun . b) Habits ( things that happen sometimes or all the time ) : ex : We do a lot of different things in our free time . * Form : I He s They She + verb + es We + stem verb It ies You * Examples : * Maria speaks four languages . * They live in a big house . * I get up early every day . * Tim teaches English to young children . * Key words : always , usually , sometimes , often , never , every , on Sundays , generally , seldom , occasionally , rarely , twice a year , in summer .

Page 7: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

* Spelling rules : 1) If the verb ends with “ ch , sh , s , x , o , z “ add (es) . watch watches mix mixes . 2) If the verb ends with “consonant + y “ , cross out (y) and add (ies) . try tries fly flies 3) If the verb ends with “ vowel + y “ , keep (y) and add (s) . enjoy enjoys play plays * Negative : To change a positive sentence in the present simple into negative , we

use “don’t” or “doesn’t” . I don’t He doesn’t We don’t She doesn’t + stem verb They don’t + stem verb It doesn’t You don’t * Sue gets to work early . Sue doesn’t get to work early . * We wear nice clothes . We don’t wear nice clothes .

* Questions : To form questions , we use “do” or “does” . Do you Does she Do they Does he + stem verb Do I + stem verb Does it Do we * Do you speak English ? Yes , I do . No , I don’t . * When does she wake up ? She wakes up at ten o’clock

Page 8: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Exercises I) Choose the correct answer from between the brackets :

1. They are traveling from a city to another in ( journey – quest – trip ) for

their son .

2. Her sudden death has been a ( massive – wreck – mystery ) up till now .

3. The big dog ( frightened – frightening – fear ) the little child .

4. John is very ( massive – secretive – expensive ) about his new job .

5. His house is ( wreck – worth – fortune ) a lot of money .

6. Detective Sam didn’t find ( at – out – on ) who killed the old lady .

7. The failure of the ( monsoon – gulf – creature ) would destroy harvest

on which a lot of people rely .

8. He ( reversed – leant – mended ) the car through the gate .

9. What’s wrong ( at – with – to ) your car , John ?

10. She is fond of visiting ( fishermen – fortune-tellers – creatures ) to ask

them about the future .

11. We’ve ordered a taxi to pick us ( on – up – by ) at ten .

12. He is always worried ( on – about – for ) his health .

13. Everyone seeks ( happy – happiness – happily ) .

14. Whales are huge sea ( gulfs – wrecks – creatures ) .

15. You have to be careful ( for – of – at ) these rocks or you may slip .

16. Don’t cook vegetables for too long , they’ll lose their ( perfect – goodness

– kindness ) .

17. Our school is such a ( massive – wreck – monsoon ) one with fifty classes

18. She is always worried ( on – for – about ) her future .

19. After being at sea for so long , seeing ( gulf – harbour – quest ) was

wonderful .

20. I left my job ( for – by – with ) personal reasons .

Page 9: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

II) Rewrite the following sentences using the words between the brackets : 1. They visit their uncle thrice a week . ( How ….? ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 2. No other picture in the museum is more valuable than this one . ( most ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 3. She catches a lot of fish every week . ( next ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 4. It’s better for you to eat a lot of vegetables . ( ought ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 5. George was reading the newspaper , when his house caught fire . ( What …..?) ………………………………………………………………………………… 6. They have some good news about John . ( any ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 7. Mother bakes a cake every Sunday . ( at the moment ) …………………………………………………………………………………. 8. She should be more patient and he will try to explain . ( If ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 9. The baby isn’t sleeping at the moment . ( every afternoon ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 10. English exams aren’t as hard as Maths exams . ( than ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 11. It’s necessary for the driver to have a driving license . ( must ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 12. The bird sang sweetly . ( sweet ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 13. They are going to buy new clothes tomorrow . ( Last week ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 14. The girls were washing the dishes last afternoon at four o’clock . ( now ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 15. There is no one in the house at the present . ( anyone ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 16. Sally visited the clothes shop because she wanted to buy a new dress . ( to ) …………………………………………………………………………………

Page 10: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

17. He thanked her a lot , because she was kind with his daughter . ( kindness ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 18. I always write some letters to my friends . ( never ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 19. She writes with her left hand . ( Which ……? ) …………………………………………………………………………………

20. Uncle Bob shaves everyday . ( now ) ………………………………………………………………………………… III) Give one word for the following definitions : 1. A long search for something that’s difficult to find . ( ………………. )

2. The quality of being kind . ( ……………….. )

3. Being quiet , not excited , worried or angry . ( ……………….. )

4. Being completely good , without mistakes or weaknesses .

( ……………….. )

5. A person who catches fish either as a job or as a sport . ( ………………. )

6. A part of the sea that’s almost surrounded by land .

( ……………... )

7. Something that you can’t understand or explain . ( …………….. )

8. A person who tells people what will happen to them in the future .

( ……………... )

9. Thinking that something had might happen or has happened .

( ……………… )

10. Liking to keep things secret from other people . ( ……………… )

Page 11: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

IV) Complete the missing parts in the following dialogues : 1) Manager : ……………………………………………………………….. Miss Mary : Hello , Sir .

Manager : ………………………………………………………………. ? Miss Mary : Yes , I’m looking for a new job . Manager: ……………………………………………………………….. ? Miss Mary : I was working in a company . Manager:…………………………………………………………………. Miss Mary ; I can speak English and French . Manager : Where do you live ? Miss Mary : ………………………………………………………………… 2) Sally : Where are you going to spend your weekend ? Mona:………………………………………………………………. Sally : How are you going to go there ? Mona:…………………………………………………………………. Sally:………………………………………………………………….? Mona : I’m going to see the pyramids and the Sphinx . Sally : Who will you go with ? Mona:………………………………………………………………….. 3) Tom: Look at my new guitar . John: ……………………………………………………………. ? Tom: I bought it two weeks ago . John: …………………………………………………………….. ? Tom: Of course , I know how to play on it . John: ……………………………………………………………… ? Tom: It cost 500 pounds . John: ……..……………………………………………………….. ? Tom: Ok. I’ll come with you .

Page 12: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Sample Test

A- Vocabulary & Structure I) Underline the correct word in brackets : 1. Jack and Tom go ( fish – fishing – fishes ) every Sunday . 2. Don’t look so ( calm – worried – rough ) . Everything will be all right . 3. There is ( some – any – no ) reason for staying up late . 4. Uncle Jack and Aunt Mary ( reversed – surprised – caught ) us with a visit 5. Look ! Daeng and Lek ( catch – are catching – caught ) some fish . 6. It’s ( a massive – an active – an expensive ) volcano that may erupt anytime . 7. The whole city fell into deep ( dark – darkly – darkness ) when the light went out . 8. How often ( he does – does he – is he ) write to his friends ? II) Rewrite the following sentences using the words between the

brackets : 1. While they were feeding their children , their keys disappeared . ( When ) ……………………………………………………………………………… 2. They never watch TV . ( at the moment ) ……………………………………………………………………………… 3. Tom has the least mark in the class . ( No other ) ……………………………………………………………………………… 4. The journey to the States takes about 18 hours . ( How …? ) ………………………………………………………………………………

B- Language Function

III) Supply the missing parts in the following dialogue : Mary : Are you going to buy a new pet ? Karl : ………………………………………………………………………….. Mary : Is it expensive ? Karl : …………………… , that is why I save my pocket money daily . Mary : I wish I could buy one too .

Page 13: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

C- Reading Comprehension IV) Read the following passage and answer the questions below : A sailor once went ashore on the coast of South America . He had

with him a number of caps for sale . On his way to a town at some distance from the coast , he had to pass through a forest in which groups of monkeys were seen climbing among the trees . At noon , the sailor had to take shelter from the burning rays of the sun . He lay down to rest under the shade of a large trees .He put one of his caps on his head and soon fell fast asleep .

When he woke up , he found , to his surprise , that the caps were all gone . Unusual cries coming from the branches above him drew his attention . Looking up , he saw the tree alive with groups of monkeys and on the head of each monkeys was a red cap ! The monkeys stole his caps while he was sleeping . He cried , but the monkeys paid no attention to the shouts .

Finding every attempt to get his caps useless , he pulled off the one he put on his head and threw it on the ground , crying out " Here , you little thieves , if you will keep the rest of my caps , you may take this one too ! "

No sooner had he done this than , to his surprise , the monkeys at once did the same . Each took off his cap from its head and threw it on the ground ! The sailor took back all his caps and marched off in triumph .

Answer the following questions : 1. What did the sailor see when he wake up ? ………………………………………………………………………………….. 2. How did the sailor take back all his caps ? …………………………………………………………………………………... Choose the correct answer from between the brackets : 3. The man was …………………….. when he woke up . a- surprised . b- happy . c- sleepy . 4. The sailor wanted to …………………………..

a- march in triumph . b- sell he caps. c- throw the caps .

Page 14: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

D- Composition V) Write a paragraph on the following : " What would you like to be when you grow up ?" You can use these guiding words : Grow up – Work – like – Help – Useful – Money ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

E- The Link Readers ( The Wizard of Oz )

VI) Answer the following questions : 1. How did Dorothy's house look like ? ………………………………………………………………………………………... 2. What were Dorothy and Toto doing when the cyclone was coming ? ……………………………………………………………………………………….... Complete the following sentences : 1. Dorothy was a ……………………………………. girl . 2. For Dorothy , everything looked ………………… and ………………….. because …………………………………………………………………….

F- Orthography VII) A) Supply the missing lines : Give me a book , ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

……………… B) What is the main idea of this poem ? ………………………………………………………………………………………

G- Handwriting VIII) Copy the following sentences in your best handwriting : Actions speak louder than words .

Page 15: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

ter CycleThe Wa: 2 Unit :New Vocabulary

* cycle : a number of related events happening in a regularly repeated order . * step : a single act , especially in a set of actions . * heat : to cause to become warm or hot . * lake : a large area of water surrounded by land , that's smaller than a river . * water vapour : the gas to which water can be changed by the action of heat . * evaporation : to change from a liquid into a gas then totally disappear . * condense : to change a gas into a liquid especially by cooling . evaporate ≠ condense * droplet : a small drop of a liquid . * liquid : a type of matter , that isn't solid or gas and which flows and has no

fixed shape . * float : to cause to stay at the top of liquid or be held up in air without sinking * flow : ( used for liquids ) meaning to run smoothly like a river . * form : to take the shape of . * flat : smooth with no curved , high or hollow parts . * spread : to cause to cover , reach or have an effect on a wider area . * storm : an extreme weather condition with very strong wind , heavy rain and often thunder and lightning . * wispy : being in the form of small thin lines . * struck : to hit or attack someone or something powerfully or strongly . * lightning : a flash of bright light in the sky which is produced by electricity moving between clouds or from clouds to the ground . * rainforest : a forest in a hot area , which receives a lot of rain . * steam : the hot gas that's produced when water boils . * tropical : very hot weather with heavy rain . * peak : the pointed top of a mountain . * station : a building and the surrounding area where buses or trains stop for people to get on or off . * direction : the position towards which someone or something moves or faces * invitation : a written request to go somewhere or do something . * collection : a group of objects of one type that have been collected by one person or in one place . * protection : keeping someone or something safe from damage or loss . * action : something that you do . * inspection : looking at something carefully for a certain purpose . * scrub : to rub something hard in order to clean it , especially when using a brush , soap and water . * shine : to make something bright by rubbing it .

Page 16: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

* rinse : to use water to clean something . * shift : to get rid of something unwanted . or : to change the place of something . * paddle : to walk through shallow water , often at the edge of the sea . * wellies : boots made of rubber which you wear in the rain . * puddle : a small pool of liquid on the ground , especially from rain . * treat : something that gives pleasure , especially when unexpected . * squirt : to push a liquid to flow out through a narrow opening quickly . * soak : to make very wet . * sleet : rain and snow falling together . * splash : to move in water so that drops of it go in all directions . Notice the following : ** Some of the best perfumes come from France . ** Shall I heat up some soup for lunch ? ** We're lost . We will have to turn back . ** She can hear the sound of the drops of water coming from the top . ** He dropped the stone into the hole . ** They spread out to look for some water . New Structure : ** Phrase : a group of words which forms part of a sentence But : A phrase doesn't make sense on its own . Examples : as old as – old-fashioned – first class – tropical storm .

Grammar 1. The Past Simple Tense

Usage : The past simple tense is used to talk about : a) Actions that started and finished in the past . ex : I lost my purse yesterday . b) Actions that happened one after the other in the past . ex : He woke up , got out of bed and had a shower . c) Actions that were repeated or were habits in the past . ex : Her grandmother made wooden toys . Key words : ago – last – yesterday – once upon a time – once long ago – in the past – this morning – in 1999 – when I was young .

Page 17: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Form : The past form of the verb

Regular Verbs Irregular Verbs Regular verbs are formed by adding ( d , ed , or ied ) at the end of the verb . Generally we add ( ed ) at the end of the verb to change it to the past form . ex : look looked start started If the verb ends with ( e ) add only ( d ) to change it to the past . ex : use used like liked If the verb ends with (one vowel + consonant ) double the last letter then add (ed ) ex : travel travelled stop stopped If the verb ends with ( two vowels + consonant ) don't double the last letter , just add ( ed ) . ex : clean cleaned repair repaired If the verb ends with ( a consonant + y ) cross out ( y ) and add ( ied ) . ex : marry married try tried If the verb ends with ( a vowel + y ) keep ( y ) as it is and add ( ed ) . ex : play played enjoy enjoyed Irregular verbs are made by changing the verb completely . ex : go went write wrote Examples : * Dad washed his car two days ago . * They spent two weeks in France . * I did my homework . * The baby cried loudly . Negative : Positive sentences in the past simple are changed into negative by using ( didn't ) followed by stem verb . * She took some photos of her garden . She didn't take any photos of her garden . * They slept late yesterday . They didn't sleep early .

Page 18: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Questions : To form questions we use " Did " I they we + stem verb Did you she he it * Did she call her granny ? Yes , she did . No , she didn't . * When did you arrive yesterday ? We arrived at seven o'clock .

2. The Past Continuous Tense Usage : The past continuous tense is used to talk about : a) Actions that were in progress at a specific time in the past . ex: John was watching a film at eleven last night . b) Two or more actions that were in progress at the same time in the past . ex: Mum was making lunch while I was washing my hair . c) The background events in a story . ex: The children were playing happily and the parents were talking amongst themselves d) An Action in progress in the past that was interrupted by another. ex: She was doing her housework when the post man rang the bell . Key Words : as – while – when – just as – at ten o'clock last night . Form : I was He / She / It was + verb + ing They / We / You were

Page 19: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Examples : * The phone was ringing for ages this morning . * Dad was at home yesterday because he was sleeping . * At two o'clock this morning , I was reading . * All the student were doing a test this morning . Negative :

Positive sentences in the present continuous are changed into negative by adding “not“ after : am , is or are .

was was not ( wasn't ) . were were not ( weren't ) . * They were doing their homework They weren’t doing their homework . * I was sitting under a tree . I was not sitting under a tree . Questions : * Mum was frying some chips . Was mum frying any chips ? What was mum doing ? * The mice were hiding in the hole . Were the mice hiding in the hole ? Where were the mice hiding ?

Page 20: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Exercises I) Choose the correct answer from between the brackets : 1. The pool of water ( condensed – evaporated – struck ) in the sun . 2. The fire ( shifted – spread – sprayed ) very quickly because of the strong wind . 3. Everst is one of the most difficult ( stations – steam – peaks ) to climb . 4. He took about five photos of these ( wispy – stormy – tropical ) clouds . 5. Mum was angry yesterday when she saw some little ( types – droplets – rainforests ) of paint on the kitchen floor . 6. He ( struck – scrubbed – shifted ) the saucepan clean , and it looked as good as new . 7. He is fond of insects . He studies the life ( protection – cycle – heat ) of a butterfly . 8. In the past , we used to go boating on that ( lake – lightning – droplet ) . 9. Tom has got a valuable ( invitation – collection – inspection ) of stamps that all his friends like to watch . 10. The River Nile ( floats – forms – flows ) through many countries . 11. She didn't notice the cloud of ( steam – peak – liquid ) coming from the boiler so it burnt her hand . 12. We enjoyed ( spreading – paddling – condensing ) along the seashore . 13. Mum shouted at the children when they ( scrubbed – rinsed – squirted ) water upon each others . 14. Mr. Tom is a very clever man . He never buys anything before giving it a quick ( inspection – protection – action ) . 15. First put some shampoo on your hair , then ( float – splash – rinse ) your hair thoroughly . 16. What's the next ( type – cycle – step ) of your plan ? 17. A lot of trees were broken down during the last ( sleet – storm – step ) . 18. Her car went out of control and ( spread – struck – soaked ) an old lady who was crossing the street . 19. We looked carefully on our map to find the nearest underground ( fraction – station – direction ) . 20. ( Storm – Lightning – Collection ) was flashing continuously all night yesterday .

Page 21: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

II) Rewrite the following sentences using the words between the brackets : 1. When the snow fell , my friends and I were waiting for the bus . ( as ) ………………………………………………………………………………………….. 2. All the students were having a test at nine o'clock this morning .

( What ….?) …………………………………………………………………………………………… 3. Acting is more challenging than painting . ( as …… as ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 4. They always stay in a small cottage in the country . ( at this time last year ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 5. Tom repaired the chair a week ago . ( next ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 6. The door of our garage is an automatic one . ( automatically ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 7. I'm doing the housework now . ( on Fridays ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 8. Dani usually writes letters to Jane . ( How often ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 9. As I was shopping , I lost my keys . ( When ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 10. Meg never takes any salad with her meals . ( sometimes ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 11. You aren't allowed to ride your motorbike without your helmet . ( must ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 12. Her mother always advises her to wash her hands before dinner . (should ) …………………………………………………………………………………………… 13. They are going to move to another flat next year . ( a year ago ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 14. No other author was more talented than Dickens . ( most ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 15. Darla can't hear me well . ( good ) …………………………………………………………………………………………… 16. She went to the post office to send a parcel to America . ( Why …? ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 17. He has more friends than me . (My friends ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 18. He saves all his pocked money . He wants to buy a computer . ( If ) …………………………………………………………………………………………… 19. Just as the thief was running away , the policeman caught him . ( When ) ……………………………………………………………………………………………. 20 . They will watch a nice movie tomorrow . ( Yesterday at 10 o'clock ) …………………………………………………………………………………………….

Page 22: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Sample Test

A- Vocabulary & Structure

I) Underline the correct word in brackets :

1. The news ( spread – splashed – sprayed ) all over the town within two days .

2. The water in the oceans ( evaporate – condense – flow ) forming clouds .

3. They couldn't go out because of the ( invitation – storm – collection ) .

4. The sunflower moves to the ( collection – protection – direction ) of the sun

5. She like to splash in the ( paddles – puddles – wellies ) .

6. We're going to Italy next week , it's my birthday ( action – treat – sleet ) .

7. The old man got angry when the naughty boys ( squirted – scrubbed –

rinsed ) him with water .

8. While I ( walk – walked – was walking ) home , I ( see – was seeing – saw )

a terrible accident .

II) Rewrite the following sentences using the words between the brackets : 1. He phoned Mary as he was driving his car . ( While ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 2. They were reading the newspaper yesterday at five . ( When ……..? ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 3. No other boy is as intelligent as Jack . ( more ) ………………………………………………………………………………… 4.They never get up late . ( always ) ………………………………………………………………………………… B- Language Function III) Supply the missing parts in the following dialogue : Mary : …………………………………………. ? Karl : Yes , I travelled to the USA before . Mary : …………………………………………….? Karl : By air . Mary : ……………………………………………..? Karl : I visited the skyscrapers and the Statue of Liberty .

Page 23: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

C- Reading Comprehension IV) Read the following passage and answer the questions below :

Many big cats live in Africa . One of them is leopard . Leopards are famous for the black spots on their yellow coats . They spend a lot of time in trees, where they eat , rest and play . They also hunt by jumping from trees onto other animals . Leopards live alone for most of their lives . But when they are young , they have a special relationship with their mother .

Leopard cubs never meet their father . Their mother looks after them, by herself . When cubs are born , their mother finds a safe tree to hide them in . The cubes stay in the tree for about two months . She protect them from dangerous animals like lions . But sometimes she goes away for a long time to hunt for food . When she goes away , she knows her cubs will learn about life and grow strong . The cubs play a lot when their mother is away . As they play they learn how to jump and climb . After one or two days , their mother returns and she always bring food .

But the cubs can't stay with their mother forever . W hen they are just a year old , they are as big as she is . When she hunts , they go with her . For many mothers , they watch and learn . Then , when they are about eighteen months old , the cubs leave their mother . Leopards are good teachers , and the cubs have learned how to survive alone .

Answer the following questions : 1. What is the leopard famous for ? ………………………………………………………………………………….. 2. When do cubs leave their mother ? …………………………………………………………………………………... Choose the correct answer from between the brackets : 3. When the cub is born ……………………….. . a- it is hidden in a tree . b- it hunts with its mother . c- it plays with lions . 4. at eighteen month , the cub ……………… its mother . a- leaves . b- protects. c- eats .

Page 24: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

D- Composition

V) Write a paragraph on the following : " Helping mum with the housework" You can use these guiding words : Help – effort – hard – complain – sister – wash – clean – sweep – iron ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

E- The Link Readers ( The Wizard of Oz )

VI) Answer the following questions : 1. Where must Dorothy go ? Why ? ………………………………………………………………………………………... 2. Who joined Dorothy in her journey ? ……………………………………………………………………………………….... Complete the following sentences : 1. The Tin Men wanted to have …….. , while the Scarecrow wanted to have ………………………….. . 2. The Munchkins are ……………………………………………………….

F- Orthography VII) A) Supply the missing lines : When man first flew beyond the sky , ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… B) What is the main idea of this poem ? …………………………………………………………………………………

G- Handwriting VIII) Copy the following sentences in your best handwriting : Water comes from the clouds .

Page 25: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Unit (3)

Cliffhanger New Vocabulary

- Cliffhanger (n) : an adventure story where exciting or dangerous things happen and the reader wonders how the story will continue.

- Adventure (n) : doing something unusual , exciting or dangerous. - Holiday (n) :a time of rest from work or school. - Camp (n) :a place where people live in tents or simple buildings away from their

usual home for a short time. - Adults (n) :grown-ups X children - Advert (n) : advertisement or ad : a piece of information in a newspaper,on TV or a

picture on a wall that tries to make people buy something. - Abseiling (n): going down the side of a very high rock or building while you’re tied

to a rope, pushing against the surface with your feet. - Canoe (n):a narrow boat for one or two people that you can move through water

using a paddle (canoeing is a sport) - Archery (n):the sport of shooting arrows. - Mountain biking (n):riding a bicycle with a strong frame and wide tyres on rough

ground. - Serious(adj):not joking - Thump(v):to make a loud sound by hitting something or by beating hard. - Age(n) :The length of time that somebody has lived or that something has existed. - Stare (v):to look at somebody or something for a long time because you’re surprised

or shocked. - Breath(n):the air that you take into and blow out of your lungs. - Shake (v):to move from side to side or up and down with short, quick movements. - Snort(v):to blow out air noisily as a way of showing that you don’t like something. - Hopeless(adj):X hopeful :very bad at doing something. - Cricket (n):a game that’s played with a ball and a bat by two teams of eleven

players. - Cuddle (v)(n):to hold somebody or something closely in your arms - Book(v):to arrange to have or do something at a particular time . - Stiff (adv):strong and difficult to bend or move. - Tough (adj):strict or strong enough to deal with difficult situations. - Safety(n):being safe and not in danger. - Helmet(n):a hard hat that you wear to protect your head. - Hug(v):to put your arms around somebody especially to show that you love them. - Sniff (v):to breathe air in through the nose making a sound especially because you

have a cold or crying.

Page 26: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

- Tight (adv):fixed firmly and difficult to move or open. - Whizz(v):to move very quickly, often making a high continuous sound. - Obedient(adj):showing the ability to understand, learn and think. - Violent(adj):very strong and difficult to control and can hurt somebody or damage

something. Grammar The Present perfect tense Form: has or have +the past participle of the verb -The past participle for regular verbs is the same as the past simple. -the past participle for irregular verbs is often different. e.g: She has written a letter Neg :She hasn’t written the letter yet. Questions:a)yes/no questions: Has she written the letter yet? Yes,she has. No,she hasn’t b)Wh-questions:What has she done? Use :- -It joins the past to the present. -we use it for an action that started in the past and still continuing in the present. e.g He has cleaned his shoes .His shoes are clean now. Time expressions used with the present perfect simple are:- Since /for /How long/ ever/ never/ yet/ already / just/ so far/ recently.

Exercises I-Choose the correct word from between the brackets:-

1-The competition was a real (cliff- cliffhanger-hanger), everyone wondered what will happen next. 2-Our journey through the jungle was an (adventure-advert-advice). 3-Mr.Philips isn’t here this week. He’s away(in-at-on)holiday. 4-The climbers stayed(in-at-on)a camp near the mountain top. 5-This film is suitable for both(adults-boys-girls)and children. 6-Has anyone got any(paper-idea-canoe)how to solve this problem? 7-We watched an(adventure-advert-archery)on TV about a new type of biscuits. 8-They are going(abseiling-canoeing-mountain biking)on the river tomorrow. 9-you’re looking very(obedient-intelligent-serious).Was it bad news? 10-His heart was(thumping-snorting-sniffing)with excitement. 11-He took a deep(breathe-breath-breathed)and then dived into the water. 12-put the coat over your(arms-head-shoulders)in case you get cold. 13-(Shake-Book-Whizz)the bottle before taking the medicine. 14-The horse(stared-snorted-sniffed)in fear and stamped its hoof.

15-He(booked-cuddled-hugged)a seat on a plane.

Page 27: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

16-I’m(good-powerful-hopeless)at maths. I can’t solve any problems. 17-She’s the(captain-canoe-cricket)of the school team. 18-The little girl(cuddled-snorted-booked)her pet dog. 19-The door handle is(violent-tight-stiff).I can’t turn it. 20-His mother told him to stop(sniffing-staring-shaking)and blow his nose. 21-Hold(tough-safe-tight)so that you don’t fall off. 22-The racing cars went(sniffing-whizzing-snorting)past. 23-The house was empty and(silence-violent-silent). 24-He was always an(obedient-obedience-intelligence)child to his parents. 25-The wind blew with great(difference-violence-silence). 26-Tom(has been-was-be)ill since Tuesday. 27-She hasn’t answered the letter(already-ever-yet). 28-Would you like a drink? No thanks .I’ve(never-ever-just)had one. 29-The boy has joined the school team(for-since-just)2002. 30-She (has never been-never visits-have been)to Italy before. II- Give on word : 1- Showing the ability to understand , learn and think . …………………………………. 2- A type of hard hat that you wear to protect your head . …………………………………. 3- Being safe and not in danger . …………………………………. 4- To look at something for a long time . …………………………………. 5- A game that's played with a ball and a bat . …………………………………. 6- The sport of shooting arrows . …………………………………. 7- Doing something usually and dangerous . …………………………………. 8- A place where people live in tents or simple buildings .…………………………………. 9- A piece of information in a newspaper that tries to make you buy something . …………………………………. 10- To make a loud sound by beating hard . …………………………………. 11- The act of taking air into or blowing air out of your lungs .……………………………. 12- A long narrow boat that moves through water using a paddle . ………………………. 13- A time of rest from work or school . …………………………………. 14- The length of time that somebody has lived . …………………………………. 15- Going down the side of a high building while you're tied to a rope . ………………. III- Fill in the blanks using since or for : 1- He has worked in the same bank …………… thirty years . 2- Those two old men have been friends ………….. 1900 . 3- The doctor hasn't had a holiday …………………….. last July . 4- Ahmed went to London and stayed there …………… a month . 5- She hasn't bought a new dress ……………. last year . 6- There has been a lot of rain …………….. Christmas . 7- She hasn't seen her son …………… many years . 8- The shopkeeper has sold nothing ………….. 3 o'clock this afternoon . 9- The poor man has eaten nothing …………… yesterday . 10- The pupils have been quiet ……………… ten minutes .

Page 28: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

IV- Re-write the following sentences using the words in brackets : 1- Mike is looking for his key . He can't find it . [ lost ] 2- We met Jack ten years ago and we still know each other . [ for ] 3- The children's room is tidy now . [ already ] 4- Janet is a good singer . [ well ] 5- It's a long time since Mary visited Helen . [ for .. ] 6- Tim typed the letter two hours ago . [ calready ] 7- I haven't seen snow before . [ never ] 8- It's the first time he has driven a car . [ before ] 9- The last time Sharon went to a party was two months ago . [ hasn't ] 10- Did you come by bus yesterday ? [ ever ] 11- George hasn't been very well for a long time . [ last night ] 12- We were going home when we saw the accident . [ As ] 13- Susan always brushes her teeth twice a day . [ How ….? ] 14- Jim has lived in Germany for 3 years . [ How ….?] 15- They have just gone shopping . [ now ] V- Supply the missing parts in the following dialogues : A) Jack : ……………………………………………….? Ben : Yes , I've found my wallet . Jack : …………………………………………….?

Ben : I found it in my office . Jack : …………………………………………….? Ben : No , there was nothing missing ?

b) Sara : ……………… last Saturday ? Angie : Yes , I went shopping .

Sara : Did You buy anything ? Angie : …………………………………………….. Sara : …………………………………………….? Angie : A jacket , some shoes and a dress . Sara : …………………………………………. ? Angie : The jacket cost . L. E 200 .

c) Mum : …………………. So for ? Sue : I've chopped the tomatoes . …………………………………………….. ?

Mum : No , you can't make the salad , you haven't washed the lettuce yet . Sue : Yes , ………………. Look ! Here it is . Mum : Have you peeled the potatoes ? Sue : ………………………………………………yet .

Page 29: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Sample Test (3) A – Vocabulary and structure : I- Underline the correct word in brackets : 1- It's [ safe – safety – dangerous ] to stand close to a cliff edge . 2- The children laughed [ at – on – to ] the clown . 3- Firemen [ wear – jeans – helmets – trainers ] to protect their heads . 4- He [ hugged – shook – thumped ] his mother and kissed her goodnight . 5- She looks completely [ different – difference – difficult ] with short hair . 6- It's rude to [ look – stare – point ] at other people . 7- So far this week , I [ had – have – have had ] two tests and a quiz . 8- Mary hasn't eaten her lunch [ already – yet – recently ] . II- Re-write the following sentences : 1- Nicola's car is clean now . [ just ] ……………………………………………………………………………….. 2- He went to school . He met his teacher . [ while ] ……………………………………………………………………………….. 3- She eats fish once a week . [ How …. ?] ……………………………………………………………………………….. 4- They studied hard yesterday . [ not ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

B- Language Functions III- Supply the missing parts in the following dialogue : Adam : ………………….. ? Ben : Yes ,. I like to travel . Adam : …………………… Ben : I've visited England , France and Italy . Adam : ………………………….England ? Ben : Two years ago . Adam : Have you seen Big Ben ? Ben : ………………………………..

Page 30: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

C- Reading Comprehension : Read the following passage and answer the questions below : One warm day , in the month of September , a wolf was drinking the cool , clear water from a little stream on a hillside , when looking up , he saw a small woolly lamb just beginning to drink a bit further down the hill . " There's something tasty for my supper ," he thought ." I need to find some excuse to catch it ." Then , he called out to the lamb , " Are you making the water from which I'm drinking very muddy ?" " No , sir , no ." said the lamb . " If the water is muddy up there , I cannot be the cause of it , for it runs down the hill from you to me . " " well, then , said the wolf , " Why did you call me bad names this time last year ?" " That cannot be , " said the lamb ." I'm only six months old . I was not born a year ago ." Then it must have been your father who called me bad names , " said the wolf . " That's a good enough reason to eat you for supper ." A- Answer the following : 1- What did the wolf see when he looked up ? ……………………………………………………………………………….. 2- Had the lamb made the water muddy ? Why ? ……………………………………………………………………………….. B- Choose the correct answer : 3- The water in the stream was ……………… a- warm b- cool c- dirty 4- Who had called the wolf bad names ? a- the lamb b- the lamb's father

c- Nobody . It was only the wolf's excuse .

Page 31: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

D- Pictorial Composition : V- write a paragraph of six sentences describing your favourite sport Guiding words : Sport – everyday – play – practice – players – school team ………………………………….………………………………….………………………………….………………………………….………………………………….………………………………….………………………………….………………………………….………………………………….………………………………….………………………………….………………………………….………………………………….………………………………

E- The Link Readers VI- A) Answer the following questions : 1- ………………………………….…………………………………. 2- ………………………………….…………………………………. B- Complete the following sentences : 3- 4-

F- Orthography : III- A) supply the missing lines ………………………………….…………………………………. ………………………………….…………………………………. B What's the main idea of the poem ? ………………………………….………………………………….

G- Handwriting VIII- Copy the following sentences in your best handwriting . Hobbies are very useful and important . ………………………………….………………………………….

Page 32: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

(Unit (4) Woodlands Adventure Park New voc. Sailing (n) the sport of riding in and controlling small boats with sails. Tractor (n.) a large vehicle with large wheels that's used on farms for pulling heavy objects. Water-skiing(n.) a sport in which one moves across the surface of water on skis Beginner (n) someone who starts doing sth. Instructor (n.) A person whose job is to teach a practical skill or sport. Staff (n) the group of people who work for a particular organization. Equipment (n) the things that are needed to do a particular activity. Provided (adj) available, you can get, buy or use. Customer (n) a person who buys things in a shop, restaurant, etc….. Brilliant (adj) v. good Picnic (n) a meal that you take with you to eat outdoors. Woods (n) a place where trees grow thickly, smaller than a forest. Marvelous (adj) v. good, wonderful, fantastic. Kindness (n) caring about others. Patience (n) the ability to stay calm for a long time and not get angry. Attraction (n) something thats interesting or enjoyable Theatre (n) a building where you go to see plays or shows. Magic (n) a secret power that some people believe can make strange or impossible things happen by saying special words or doing special things. Puppet (n) a model of a person or an animal that you can move by pulling strings or by putting your hand inside it. Leaflet (n) a printed piece of paper that gives information about something. Facilities : facility (n) a system, service, building or piece of equipment that makes it possible to do something. Free (adj) with no payment. Supervised : watching something to make sure that it's done properly or people are behaving correctly. Souvenir(n): something that you keep to remind you of somewhere you have been on holiday or of special event. Contact(v.): to telephone or write to somebody. Elegant(adj.): having a good or attractive style. Assistant(adj.): a person who helps somebody or sells things to people in a shop.

Page 33: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Grammar Conditional Sentences:(type 1)

- We use conditional sentences type 1 to express something which is possible to happen in the present or future. - It's formed by joining two clauses using "If"

1-If-clause: If+ present simple tense. 2-Main clause: Simple future with "will" (will+ stem verb) e.g : If you study hard , you will get the full mark.

Exercises -Choose the correct answer: 1-I've got an (elegant- amazing- available ) story to tell you .You won't believe it.

2-(Sailing- Mountain biking- Water skiing) is a sport in which you are pulled by a boat.

3-This film isn't suitable (for- to –on)children .

4-A driving (tractor- instructor- customer)can teach driving.

5-The hotel has over 200 people on its (staff- equipment- instructors)

6-The shop assistant was serving a (beginner- customer- tractor)

7-If Mark isn't at home , we'll leave a (leaflet- facility- note) for him .

8-Going out for a picnic is a (brilliant – elegant- magic) idea.

9-What marvelous weather.Let's go for a ride in the (woods- wood- tree)

10-Don't look so (elegant- important- worried).Everything will be all right.

11-Thank you very much for all your (kind- kindness- kindly)

12-The teacher has no (patient- patience- impatience) with the less intelligent pupils.

13-The city offers all kinds of tourist ( attract- attractive- attraction)

14-We spent our evening at the (theatre- cinema- club ).We watched a play.

15-The witch had used her (attraction – magic –souvenir )to turn the children

into frogs.

16-Our town has excellent sports (instructors –facilities- assistants)like a

swimming pool and a football ground.

17-Children under five usually travel (worried- facility- free) on trains.

Page 34: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

18-Is there a phone number where I can (supervise sail- contact)You?

19-This information is easily (available- suitable- free) to everyone at the library.

20-She shouted for help ,but nobody came to her(assistant- assistance- legance)

21-She looked very (important – brilliant- elegant) in her new dress.

22-The map tells you the (importance- distances- elegance) between cities.

23-Dan is good (at- in- on)art .He can draw well.

24-If Jane gets up late , she(will- won't-would)catch the bus.

25-If Ben (finish- doesn't finish- finishes) his homework early , he'll go to the cinema.

II- Give one word : 1- The sport of being in and controlling small boats with sails . ……………. 2- Something that you keep to remind you of somewhere . …………. 3- A building where you go to see plays or shows .………………………. 4- The ability to stay calm and not get angry.…………………………. 5- A printed piece of paper that gives information about something .

…………………………. 6- A person who buys things in a shop or a restaurant . ……………………. 7- A meal that you take with you to eat outdoors . …………………………. 8- A person whose job is to teach a skill or a sport . ………………………. 9- A large vehicle with large wheels that pulls heavy objects . ……………. 10- The things that are needed to do an activity . ………………………. Re-write the following sentences using the words in brackets : 1- My sister cooks well . [ good ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

2- Ali will carry his sister's bag . [ sometime ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

3- Have you ever travelled to China ? [ Do … ?] ………………………………………………………………………………..

4- I was writing a letter at 8 o'clock yesterday . [ last night ] ……………………………………………………………………………..

5- He is a driver . [ for 10 years ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

6- They will return home at 3 o'clock . [ already ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

Page 35: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

7- I've worked in the garden for weeks . [ How … ?] ………………………………………………………………………………..

8- He has climbed a mountain before . [ ever ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

9- We have just finished our homework . [ at present ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

10- She visited her grandma three weeks ago . [ for ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

11- It will rain . I will not go out . [ If ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

12- We will earn a lot of money , if we work hard .[ not ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

13- Mum will need butter , if she makes a cake . [ what .. ?] ………………………………………………………………………………..

14- Dad usually takes us to the cinema . [ tomorrow ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

15- Adel is too fat to run . [ enough ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

16- Put on your coat , or you will catch a cold . [ if ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

17- The office may be closed . In that case we won't be able to get in . [ if ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

18- If it rains tomorrow , I will take my umbrella . [ not ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

19- The cat might die . If so , Alex will be upset . [ If ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

20- Dad bought a new computer two days ago . [ tomorrow ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

21- They were climbing the tree . They fell over . [ while ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

Page 36: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

IV- Supply the missing parts in the following dialogues : A) Tom : ………………………………………..? Sally : I've burnt myself . Tom : ………………………………………………… ? Sally : I picked up a hot dish . Tom : Did you visit a doctor ? Sally : ………………………………………………………. Tom : I hope you get well soon . Sally : ……………………………………………………….. B) Alice : …………………………… before ? Nike : Yes , I've seen elephants in the zoo . Alice : ………………………………………………? Nick : No , I didn't touch them . Alice : Why ? Nick : ……………………………………………….. C) Ray : Did you have a good time at the concert last week ? Jane : ……………………. . It was great . Jane : It was in the football stadium . Ray : ……………………………………………. ? Jane : Yes , there were about 80 , 000 people there . Ray : ……………………………………………..? Jane : It's lasted for two and a half hours .

Page 37: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Sample test 4 A – Vocabulary and Structure : I- Underline the correct word in brackets : 1- I wanted a picture about sharks , so I looked it up [ in – on – at ] the web . 2- It's [ important – elegant – kindness ] not to be late for school . 3- Can I contact you [ at – by – with ] telephone ? 4- I picked up a [ souvenir – tractor – leaflet ] advertising a new club . 5- We had a [ picnic – water – skiing – brilliant ] on the beach . 6- The doctor is away today . Would you like to speak to her [ assistance – assistant – instructor ] . 7- The boys will [ are – have – be ] punished , if they make noise . 8- She [ will phone – has phoned – phones ] her brother tomorrow . II- R-write the following sentences the words in brackets : 1- Sam drives fast . He'll have an accident . [ If …. Carefully ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

2- Did you see the news on T. V last night . [ yet ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

3- They tidied their room an hour ago . [ tomorrow ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

4- I studied English yesterday . [ at 5o'clock yesterday ] ……………………………………………………………………………….

B- Language Functions : III- Supply the missing parts in the following dialogue : Tilly : …………………… Kate ? Mary : She had an accident . She was running for a bus when …………… Tilly : ………………………………………………………….. Mary : No , She's at home now . Jilly : …………………………………………………………… Mary : ………………………………………………….. Jilly : We're going to visit her tomorrow ………………………..?

Page 38: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

C- Reading Comprehension : IV- Read the following passage and answer the questions below : Butter files are insects . They have six legs and two sets of wings . Their wings are covered in tiny scales and each one is coloured so they make a pattern on each wing . Each kind of butterfly has a different pattern on its wings The underside of the wings is a different colour which helps to hide them when they are resting on plants . The body of a butterfly is covered in a hard case . Female butterflies lay eggs on the leaves of certain trees. When the eggs hatch , caterpillars emerge . The caterpillars then begin to eat . They grow bigger and bigger and also grow a new skin . When they are big enough they make a hard case and inside they grow into butterflies . When they break out of the case they fly away to feed . A- Answer the following : 1- Where does the female butterfly lay her eggs ? ………………………………………………………………………………..

2- Find a word in the passage which means " come out ." ………………………………………………………………………………..

B- Choose the correct answer : 3- A butterfly has ………………… legs . a- two b- six c- eight 4- The wings of a butterfly are covered in tiny ……….. a- scales b- feathers c- plants D- Pictorial Composition : V- Write a paragraph of six sentences about "A trip to a science museum ." Guiding words : last week – trip – science museum – a lot of children – interesting things – a guide – skeleton – a huge dinosaur – 10,000 years old – inventions – lovely time . ………………………………………………………………………………. ………………………………………………………………………………. ………………………………………………………………………………. ………………………………………………………………………………. ……………………………………………………………………………….

Page 39: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

E- The Link Readers : VI- A ) Answer the following questions : 1- What did the wizard ask Dorothy and her friends to do ? ………………………………………………………………………………..

2- Why was the witch scared of Dorothy ? ………………………………………………………………………………..

B) Complete the following : 3- The lion saw a …………………. Sitting on the throne . 4- ……………… attacked Dorothy and her friends .

F- Orthography : VII- A) Supply the missing lines : He smears his face with make up ………………………………………………………………………………. ………………………………………………………………………………. ………………………………………………………………………………. b) What's the main idea of the poem ? ………………………………………………………………………………. ……………………………………………………………………………….

G- Handwriting : VIII- Copy the following sentences in your best handwriting : There may be life on other planets . ………………………………………………………………………………. ……………………………………………………………………………….

Page 40: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Unit (5)

The mysteriogus cupboard New vocabulary: Mysterious (adj.) something can't be explained or not easily understood. Cupboard : a piece of furniture for storing things. Slope : (v) sloping: - a surface which is higher on one side than the other. Move into : to go to another place to live in. Roof : the top covering of a building, car…….etc. Ceiling : the inside surface on the top of the room, the roof of the room. Cheerful : happy , in a good spirit. Furniture : all large movable objects such as beds, chairs,…etc. Pile : number of things put on top of each other. Lable :a piece of paper or other material which gives you information about the object it is fixed to. Sorting out (v.) : to separate one type of things from a group of things. Realize : to understand and believe. Stuff (n) : group of things. Muddle :to put into disorder /to confuse. Knelt down:(v.) : to kneel down ,to go down or remain on the knees. Stack(v.) : to arrange things in an ordered pile throw out(v.) :to get rid of something that you don't want any more. Battered (adj.) : damaged especially by being used a lot. Jigsaw (n.) : a picture stuck onto the wood or cardboard and cut into pieces of different shapes which must be joined together correctly to form a picture again. Spade (n.) :a tool used for digging (making holes) with a long handle and flat blade. Crawl (v.) : to move slowly with the boy close to the ground or the floor. Cob web (n.) : structure like a net of sticky silk threads made by a

spider for catching insects. Dangle (v.) : to hang loosely ,or to hold something so that it hangs loosely Fitted (adj.) : to made to fit the shape of someone or something. Prop (v.) : /propped: to support something physically ,often by

leaning it against something else or putting something under it.

Page 41: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Beneath (prep.) : below or to a lower position than under. Thick (adj.) : not thin ,having a long distance between the two sides. Soft (adj.) : not hard. Sway (v.) : to move slowly from side to side. Breeze (n.) : a light and pleasant wind. Capture (v.) : to record or take a picture of something using a camera. Mixture (n.) : a set of different things mixed (put) together. Adventure (n.) : an action or a journey that is strange exciting and often dangerous. Fracture (n.) : being broken or breaking. Vulture (n.) : a large African and Asian bird that feeds on dead animals. Puncture (n.) : a hole in something such as a tyre through which air or liquid can get out. Literature (n.) : written works which are of artistic value

Grammatical Structure The modal verbs: They are small verbs like (should ,ought to .must,…) which certain the meaning to the main verb. -Modal verbs have the same forms in all persons. .eg: -we must go now. -You look tired .You should go to bed. Modal verbs have several meanings and uses and they are followed by bare infinitive. -eg:-You should tell your father a bout the problem.(bare inf.). -He must be back by seven o'clock.(bare inf.). (a) Positive form: -Is formed by putting the modal verb between the subject and the main verb. Eg: You/ ought to /pay/ more attention. Subject-modal v.-main verb. (b) Negative form.

-is formed by adding (not) after the verb. -eg: you must not enter this room. (mustn't) (:c)Question form

Page 42: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

-is formed by changing the position of the modal verb and the subject. -eg:Ought we go ? Should you be in the bed ? -Modal verbs have several meanings and uses. -For obligation (it is necessary and important to do ) 1-Must -eg:You must leave. (You can't stay.) -Must some times indicates future when used with a time word. -eg:I must do this tomorrow morning. 2-Mustn't We use it when we think an action is against the rules. -eg:You mustn't throw things in the science lab . It is dangerous. 2-should \ought to: -used to give advice and to say what is generally right or wrong. -eg:You shouldn't be watching T.V now. -You ought to be studying. (Notes) 1-Should \ought to have the same meaning. 2-Should \ought to are not as strong as must. -eg:You must go now. (You have no choice ,go now. ) -You should go now. (It is your decision, but if Iwere you Iwould go now. 3-Must is used only for the present form but in the past and the future we use the form of have to. -eg:I had to go to hospital. (past) -I have to get up early tomorrow. (future)

Page 43: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Exercises Choose the correct answer between brackets: 1-We have been awake (since-for –ago) 7 o'clock.

2-My daughter (be-has been-was) tired two days ago.

3-If he (saves-save-saved) a lot of money ,he will buy a car.

4-He died suddenly of (mystery-mysterious-cheerful) illness.

5-We are going to move (in-up-into) a new house next week.

6-The bed room is in the roof ,so it's got a (sloop-sloping-swaying) ceiling.

7-You shouldn't drive when it's (sunny-cloudy-foggy).

8-(You should-Should you-You should never) eat lots of fruit and vegetables.

9-He (should-shouldn't-oughtn't to) wear a seat belt while driving.

10-Tom was often late and his father told him that he (shouldn't-ought-should)

wake up earlier.

11-They will win the game if they (play-plays-played) well.

12-Lila threw all her (dangled-fitted-battered) toys because they were damaged.

13-The chairs were neatly (stacked-stuck-stain) at the back of the hall.

14-Tom is a ( carefully-careful-careless) driver .He drives well.

15-The kids took their buckets and (axe-spade-saw)

16-She (sorted-crawled-knelt) down to pray.

17-Mai let the gentle (breath-breeze-breathe) cool for face.

18-I have (ever-never-yet) been to China or Japan.

19-Washing instructions should be on the (spade-ticket-lable)

20-( Sort of-Sort into-Sort out) any clothes you want to throw a way, and give

them to me.

Rewrite the following sentences using words between brackets. 1-They should help you. (not) …………………………………………………………………………

Page 44: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

2-It's necessary for you to leave early for school. (must) ………………………………………………………………………… 3-He feeds his dog twice a day. (How often) ……………………………………………………………………….. 4-The last time she visited London was in April. (since) ……………………………………………………………………….. 5-They play well .They win the match. ……………………………………………………………………(If) 6-Salma is doing her home work now. (yesterday) ……………………………………………………………………….. 7-The plane has just arrived at the airport. (ago) ……………………………………………………………………….. 8-The chair is not as expensive as the table. (more) …………………………………………………………………………. 9-I have never eaten apples. (ever) …………………………………………………………………… 10-Take your medicine or you won't get better. (if) ………………………………………………………………………. 11-I rode my bike yesterday. (Did) ……………………………………………………………………..... 12-Aliaa is not as big as me. (I) ……………………………………………………………………… 13-She bought a dress last week (what) ……………………………………………………………………….. 14-My mark is 5 .Her mark is 10. (worse) ………………………………………………………………………. 15-Sam's car is cheaper than mine. (more) ………………………………………………………………………. 16-You should look right and left when you cross the road. (ought to) ……………………………………………………………………….. 17-We watched a scary movie yesterday. (Last night at ten o'clock) ………………………………………………………………………………… 18-Meg isn't as short as her friend. ( taller ) …………………………………………………………………………… 19-The weather has been very cold since last week. (for) ……………………………………………………………………… 20-No one is more beautiful than Mona. (most) …………………………………………………………………….. 21-It's necessary for people not to tell lies. (must) …………………………………………………………………….

Page 45: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

22-You should read the question carefully. (shouldn't) …………………………………………………………………….. 23-She left a short time ago. ( just) …………………………………………………………………… 24-She often speaks English. (never) ………………………………………………………………….. 25-We wake up early every morning. (yesterday) ……………………………………………………………………. 26-He felt ill last night. (not) ……………………………………………………………………… 27-We have lived in Cairo for ten years. (since) …………………………………………………………………….. 28-If you drop a glass on the floor ,it will break. (What) ……………………………………………………………………. 29-He had dinner an hour ago. (not) ……………………………………………………………………. 30-I was mending my car ,I hurt my self. (when) …………………………………………………………………… 31-He behaves badly. (should) …………………………………………………………………… 32-I advised him to leave his keys in the car. (ought to) ………………………………………………………………….. 33-I have a toothache. (should) ………………………………………………………………….. -Give one word : 1-To go to another place to live in. (……………………) 2-A set of different things mixed together. (…………………….) 3-A piece of paper which gives you information about the object it is fixed to.

(……………………….) 4-The roof of the room. (…………………………) 5-To understand and believe. (…………………………) 6-Dangerous and exciting journey. (………………………...) 7-Items such as chairs , tables , beds or cupboards which are put into a house or a building. (………………..………) 8-To record or take a picture of something using a camera.

(………………………….) 9-The net spun by a spider to catch insects. (………………………..) 10-Gentle wind. (…………………………..) 11-To move gently from side to side (…………………………..) 12A large bird that eats dead animals. (…………………………..)

Page 46: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

13-Written works which are of artistic value. (…………………………..) 14-Small hole caused by something sharp. (………………………….) 15-Light and pleasant wind. (………………………….) Complete the following dialogues: Fares :What book is this? Ali : it's an adventure book. Fares : How do you like it? Ali : ………………..I enjoy it a lot. Fares : ……………………………….? Ali : It's about a group of young men who were able to solve a mystery

of a murder. Fares : When will you finish it? Ali : ………………………………… Fares : Can I borrow it tomorrow ? Al : ……………………………….. B)- Nada : Hello Salma…………………………………….? Salma : I have a toothache. Nada : you shouldn't eat too many sweets……………..? Salma : No,I don't brush my teeth. Nada : …………………………………….. Salma :Yes, you are right . I should go to the dentist. Nada : …………………………………….? Salma : I will go to the dentist tomorrow with my brother. c)- Maha : ………………………………………..,Dalia ? Dalia : I'm going shopping tonight. Maha : Who are you going with ? Dalia :………………………………… Maha :………………………………….? Dalia : Oh! Downtown is a very nice place for shopping . I hope you enjoy your time. Maha : …………………………………

Page 47: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

D)- Mai : you know ,Soha, my birthday is next Thursday. Soha : Really! ..........................................................? Mai : I will be twelve . I will be giving a birthday party. Are you free on that day? Soha :………………………………….. Mai : I.m glad you can come. Soha : …………………………………………… Mai : only some of the closest friends. Soha : ………………………………….? Mai : Yes, I think you know them all. Soha : Ok . I will come.

Page 48: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Sample Test (5) A-Vocabulary and structure 1-Underline the correct word in brackets. 1-People (aren't-mustn't –should ) smoke. It's dangerous. 2-Mona (was eating –eat –ate ) three sandwiches yesterday. 3-Have you ever (see –saw –seen ) a rainbow. 4-She sold her old ( furniture –adventure –mixture ) and bought new tables and chairs. 5-Could you help me to carry this heavy ( cases –suitcase –briefcases )? 6-The baby is (swinging –crawling –sorting ) a cross the room. 7-He didn't ( muddle –stack –realize ) he was wrong. 8-I told them about my (mixture –fracture –adventure ) in the mountain. Rewrite the following sentences using the words in brackets 1-It's a good idea for you to go for a walk in the country. (ought to) …………………………………………………………………………. 2-If it rains tomorrow, I will take my umbrella. (not) ………………………………………………………………………… 3-Ali has been learning English for five years. (since) ………………………………………………………………………… 4-Salma is doing her homework now. (yesterday) ……………………………………………………………………….. B-Language Functions 3-Supply the missing parts in the following dialogue Khaled : Welcome to Egypt………………………………………………..? Tourist : I came from England . Khaled : Is this your first visit? Tourist : No,…………………. Khaled :………………...? Tourist : because the weather here is fine. The Egyptian people are friendly

and there are a lot of ancient monuments. Khaled :…………………? Tourist : Two weeks, I intend to visit Luxor and Aswan. Khaled : ………………………………….. Tourist : Thank you.

Page 49: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

4-Read the following passage and answer the questions below:

Henry ford was the first person who build cars which were cheap, strong and fast. He was able to sell millions of models because he "Mass-Produced" them, this means he made a great many cars of exactly the same type . Ford's father hoped that his son would become a farmer, but the young man didn't like the idea and he went to Detroit where he worked as a mechanic. By the age of 29 , in 1892 , he had built his first car. However, the first "Mass-Produced" car in the world, the famous model T, didn't appear until 1908, five years after Ford had started his great Motor Company. This car proved to be so popular that it remained unchanged for twenty years. A-Answer the following questions: 1-Who is Henry Ford? ……………………………………………………….. 2-What kind of work did Henry Ford do in Detroit? ……………………………………………………. B-Choose the correct answer: 3-Ford's father hoped that his son would become ……………… a) a mechanic b)a doctor c)a farmer 4-Henry ford was able to sell millions of models because he made…………… a) some cars b)great many cars c)a few cars

Pictorial Composition V- Write a paragraph of six sentences on " Reading " Use the following guiding words to help you :- school library – free time – useful – knowledge – different – kinds of books – friend – never feel lonely . ………………………………………………………………….…………………………. ………………………………………………………………….…………………………. ………………………………………………………………….…………………………. ………………………………………………………………….…………………………. ………………………………………………………………….………………

Page 50: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

E- The Link Reader VI- A) Answer the following questions : 1- What did the winkies ask the Tin Man to do ? ………………………………………………………………….……………… ………………………………………………………………….………………. 2- Why did the people of Emerald city that oz is great wizard ? ………………………………………………………………….……………… ………………………………………………………………….……………… B) Complete the following sentences : 3- The ……………………can carry the four friends to ……. 4- OZ planned to fill his balloon with ……………. and …………. across ………. back to …………………

F- Orthography VII- a) Supply the missing lines : Get up ………………………………………………………………….…………………………. ………………………………………………………………….…………………………. ………………………………………………………………….…………………………. b) What's the main idea of this poem ? ………………………………………………………………….…………………………. ………………………………………………………………….………………………….

G- Handwriting VIII- Copy the following sentences in your best handwriting : An apple a day keeps the doctor away . ………………………………………………………………….…………………………. ………………………………………………………………….…………………………. . .

Page 51: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Unit 6

The mystery of the Mary Celest . New vocabulary:- mystery (n.):- a strange thing that is difficult to explain or understand .(plural mysteries ). Interview(n.):-a meeting at which a person, usually someone famous is asked about their

opinions or their life for a newspaper article or TV. Show Interview(v,):-to ask some questions in an interview. Guess(v,):-to give an answer that you feel maybe right although you are not sure. Solve(v.):- to find the answer for a problem. Mast(n.):-a tall length of wood or metal that supports the sails on a ship. Sail(v.) :- to travel on the water. ocean(n.) :-a very large area of sea. Voyage(n.) :- a long journey, especially by ship. Float(v.) :- to stay on the surface of a liquid and not sink Signal(v.) :- to make a movement, sound or flash ….etc which gives

Information or tells people what to do. Reply(n.) :-an answer. Row(v.) :-to move oars through water to make a boat move . Aboard (adj, or):- preposition:-used when talking about getting onto a ship, air craft, bus or train. discover(v.) :-to find something or to learn about something for the first time. Plenty :-the state of having enough or more than enough or a large

amount./(a lot) Cabin(n.)” -a room on a ship or plane. galley(n.) :-a kitchen in ship. Pot(n.) :-a round container, used especially for cooking. Mutiny(n.) :-a group of people, especially soldiers or sailors who refuse to obey orders. Crew(n.) :-a group of people who work together especially who work

on a ship or air craft. Get off(v.) :-to leave a place. Murder(v.) :-to kill a person. Sailor(n.) :-a person who works on a ship especially one who is not an officer .

Page 52: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Guide(n.) :-a person whose job is showing a place to visitors. Catalogue(n.) :-a book with list of all the goods(things)that you can buy

from a shop. Disguise(v.) :-to change the usual appearance. Vague(adj) :-not clearly seen ,described, fe

Grammatical struct ure *The passive voice:- 1)usage :it is used to describe actions:- a)when we don’t know who does the acti e.g:-My bag is stolen.(I don’t know who stole it) b)when it’s not important to know who does the action. eg:- these televisions are made in Japan.. (It doesn’t matter who makes them) on. SO:-The passive stresses on the action itself not who or what caused it. 2)Form:- a)Put the object in the place of the subject (at the beginning of a sentence ) b)Use the present simple passive from:- am is +past participle are c)Put the subject in the place of the object and put’ by ‘before it. d)Subject pronouns change into object pronouns after ‘by’ . Subject pronoun Object pronoun Subject

pronoun Object pronoun

I he she it

me him her it

we they you

us them you

e.g:- She draws a picture. (active) A picture is drawn by her. (passive)

Page 53: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Exercises I:-Choose the correct answer:- 1-The book tries to explain some of the (mysteries-mystery –mysterious) of life 2-The ship was (sailing –said – signalled) to China. 3-We (must – should – mustn’t )play football in the classroom. 4- Nada (was – wasn’t- were)ill. So she went to the club yesterday. 5-We haven’t met(since- for- ago) ages. 6-The room (was cleaned – cleaned – is cleaned)by Maha everyday . 7-The glass is (broke- break- broken). 8-He was a young sailor on his first sea(cabin- voyage-vague) 9-Columbs(covered-discovered- guessed)America 10-We’ve plenty(on –of –off) time to catch the train. 11- I have made a big (pan –pot – pen) of soup. 12-The English homework(are –is –be) done carefully by her. 13-Ahmed (haven’t –hasn’t –hadn’t)had his food yet. 14-(How much- How old –How deep)did it cost you?100 L.E 15-She(hid- acted – disguised) herself as a man. 16-Her husband was(Signalled- murdered- discovered) by a thief as she watched. 17-You can(sink – play –float) very easily on the dead sea because it’s so salty. 18-The train is about to leave all(abroad – roof –aboard) 19-(Life jacket- Life belt –Life boat)is a boat which is kept ready to go out to sea and save people. 20-The teacher signalled (at –out –to) the boy to begin. 21-They didn’t find any food in the (gallery – gallon –galley). 22-She (fall – fell –is falling) asleep while she was watching the film. 23-Shady hasn’t finished his homework (since –for – yet). 24-The park gates (lock –locked –were locked) at 6,30 p.m every evening. 25-There were rumours of(volunteers-mutineers-mutinous) among the crew. II:-Re-write the following sentences:- 1-Hend cleans the house. (The house) ………………………………………………………………………………..

2-I have play chess since 8:30 .It’s now 10:30. (for) ………………………………………………………………………………..

3- We obey orders. (are) ………………………………………………………………………………..

4-Some people collect stamps . (by) ………………………………………………………………………………..

Page 54: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

5-She has a vacation. She goes to the beach. (If) ………………………………………………………………………………..

6-They have already eaten their lunch (yet) ………………………………………………………………………………..

7- We watch television every night (He) ………………………………………………………………………………..

8-keep off the grass (mustn’t) ………………………………………………………………………………..

9-The cat saw a mouse . (not) ………………………………………………………………………………..

10-we have lived in Cairo for twelve year . (since) ………………………………………………………………………………..

11-The policeman catches thieves. (Thieves) ………………………………………………………………………………..

12-he must stay at home today (Must…..?) ………………………………………………………………………………..

13-He is helping us now (an hour ago) ………………………………………………………………………………..

14-Rania has been in Aswan for a day (How long) ………………………………………………………………………………..

15-My sister plays music (is) ………………………………………………………………………………..

16-He draws pictures beautifully. (Pictures) ………………………………………………………………………………..

17-Noha is more beautiful than Sara (less) ………………………………………………………………………………..

18-As khaled was climbing the high mountain he fell down (when)

………………………………………………………………………………..

20-My uncle builds a flat (A flat) ………………………………………………………………………………..

Page 55: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

III:-Give one word:- 1-A meeting with a famous person on a TV {……….…} 2-To find an answer to a problem. {………….} 3-A long journey by a ship {……….…} 4- A kit chean in a ship {…………} 5-A group of people who work on ship {………….} 6-To kill a person {…….…….} 7-A group of people who refused to obey orders. {…….…….} 8- A person whose job is showing a place to visitors{…………} 9-A container for cooking {………..….} 10-A room on a ship {……………} Supply the missing parts in the following Dialogue:- a) Tamer :- Welcome to Egypt. Mr.Jim :- Thank you. I’m happy to be here. Tamer :- ……………………………….? Mr.Jim :- I’ve been in Egypt for two years. Tamer :-…………………………………. Mr.Jim :-I’m interested in teaching English. Tamer :-whish places did you visit? Mr.Jim :-………………………………… Ayman :-……………………………………….? Samer :- It’s a photograph of my grandfather? Ayman :-…………………………………….....? Samer :- He was an engineer .He worked on the High Dam project. Ayman :-……………………………………....? Samer :- Yes ,I’m proud of him he works hard for our family. Ayman :- ……………………………………..? Samer :- No , I want to be a lawyer. c) Ahmed :- Where will you go this weekend? Omar :-………………………………….. Ahmed :-…………………………………? Omar :- I will go with my family. Ahmed :-………………………………….? Omar :-We will go there by car. Ahmed :-………………………………….? Omar :-We will stay there for 3days. Ahmed :-Have a nice time. Omar :-Thanks.

Page 56: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Sample test 6 A – Vocabulary and Structure : I- Under line the correct word in brackets : 1- An empty bottle will [ float – sink – fly ] . 2- Tea is [ serving - served – serve ] with cakes . 3- I didn't know where she lived but I could [ solve – row – guess ] . 4- We're got plenty [ out – on – of ] sugar . Don't get any more . 5- I knocked on the door , but there was no [ replay – repel – reply ] . 6- I usually [ watched – watches – watch ] TV. In the evening . 7- Who [ came – is coming – come ] to your birthday party last Friday ? 8- Mum was cooking [ as – while – when ] I came home . II- Rewrite the following sentences : 1- Don't play with matches . you may burn yourself . [ If ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

2- Mother prepares the dinner . [ is ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

3- We have met her since Friday . [ when .. ?] ………………………………………………………………………………..

4- He spells English badly . [ bad ] ………………………………………………………………………………..

B- Language Function

Supply the missing parts in the following dialogue : Samir : Do you enjoy going to the cinema ? Aly : No …………………………………………….. Samir : ………………………………………………… ? Aly : I prefer watching a video film at home . Samir : When ……………………………………… ? Aly : I like watching it on holidays and Fridays .

Page 57: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

C- Reading Comprehension Read the following passage and answer the questions below : It was January 2001 , when a ship was wrecked in the Atlantic Ocean . Only one of the sailors got survived . He was carried on a piece of wood to a distant island . There he felt lonely and sad . He cut pieces of wood to make a small hut . With simple tols , he managed to prepare his meals . Day and night he prayed . Good for help , but no ships passed by that island . Five months had passed . Later on that day , he went through the undergrowth and the branches of trees to get some food . On coming back , he saw the hut on fire . Smoke rose up into the sky . The man felt frightened and prayed more for help . A pilot saw smoke and soon the helicopter landed to rescue that sailor . Though he lost hope , he got quite sure of God's answer to his calls . A- Answer the following questions : 1- What did the sailor make his hut of ? ………………………………………………………………………………..

2- How was the sailor saved in the end ? ………………………………………………………………………………..

B- Choose the correct answer : 3- The ship was wrecked in the ……………….. ocean . a- pacific b- Atlantic c- Indian 4- The sailor lived ……………… in the island . a- happily b- gently c- sadly D- Pictorial Composition V- Write a paragraph of six sentences on computers use the following guiding words to help you : invention – memory – greatest activities of man kind help – saving time ……………………………………………………………………………….. ……………………………………………………………………………….. ……………………………………………………………………………….. ……………………………………………………………………………….. ……………………………………………………………………………….. ……………………………………………………………………………….. ………………………………………………………………………………..

Page 58: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

E- The Link Reader A- Answer the following questions : 1- What did they ask the Quadlings to do ? ………………………………………………………………………………..

2- What did Dorothy give Linda ? ………………………………………………………………………………..

B- Complete the following sentences : 3- The …………….. will return to the Emerald city and replace ……………. 4- ……………… took the friends to a different room to ………. for …………

F- Orthography IV- a) Supply the missing lines : Give me a book ………………………………………………………………………………. ………………………………………………………………………………. ………………………………………………………………………………. b) What's the main idea of to me this poem ? ……………………………………………………………………………….

G- Handwriting VIII- Copy the following sentences in your best handwriting . Collecting stamps is my favourite hobby . ……………………………………………………………………………….

Page 59: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Unit 7 I- Vocabulary : disobey to refuse to do something that you are told to do . monster an unnatural creature in shape and size that causes fear . maze an area in which you can get easily lost because there are

so many similar streets or passages . audience group of people together in one place to watch or listen to a

play , film … stare to look for a long time with they yes wide open . huge very big = enormous . spray very small drops of water blown from the sea . chief leader of group . soar fly famous well known . melt to turn from solid into liquid by heating . escape to get free from something low high inside outside shield a large flat object made of metal or leather that soldiers

held in front of their bodies to protect themselves . * Language building * A simple sentence is made up of one main clause . e . g : My father is a doctor . * A compound sentence : is made up of two simple sentences . The two simple sentences can be joined by the conjunctions * and * but * or Conversational phrases – agreement Positive : * S0 + auxiliary verb ( do – does – did – am – is – are – can ) + subject . We put the auxiliary according to the verb . e. g : * I like reading stories . - So I do I .

Page 60: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

* Rana can play tennis . - So can Noha . * I am happy . - So am I . * Me too : We use it when we agree with positive sentences , but we don't want to repeat it . E . g: * Randa usually sleeps early . - Me too Negative Neither + auxiliary + subject We use it when we agree with a negative sentence , but we don't want to repeat it . e. g : I can't drive a car . Neither can I . * My mother isn't a teacher . Neither is she . Me neither : We use it when we agree with a negative sentence , but we don't want to repeat it . e . g : I don't like swimming . Me neither .

Page 61: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

* Make compound sentences from these pairs of simple sentences using : " and " – " or " – " but : - 1- My sister doesn't like drawing . She doesn't like doing the washing . ………………………………………………………………………………..

2- Elephants are huge animals . They have trunks . ………………………………………………………………………………..

3- I went to the cinema . I watched a film . ………………………………………………………………………………..

4- My father doesn't drink coffee . He drinks tea . ………………………………………………………………………………..

Choose : 1- I went to the club [ or – and – but ] I played tennis . 2- You must [ obey – disobey – annoy ] your parents . 3- two prisoners [ escaped – skipped – explained ] from the prison yesterday . 4- It's very [ danger – dangerous – safe ] to play with matches . 5- Soldiers used to wear [ chiefs – shields – hats ] to protect themselves in wars 6- I can't drive a car [ so does Rans – so can Rana – Neither can Rana ] . 7- Birds are covered with [ skin – hair – feathers ] . 8- The birds can fly very [ low – high – slow ] in the sky . 9- I'm so happy today [ so do I – so am I – Me neither ] . 10- I love reading stories [ neither do I – so do I – Me neither ] . 11- Ali went to the zoo yesterday . [ Neither did Hany – So can Hany – So did Hany ] . 12- Reem doesn't have many friends . [ So does nour – Neither does Nour – Me too ] . 13- The sun melts the [ wood – wax – iron ] . 14- Al Fayoum is [ famous – intelligent – succeed ] for its water wheels . 15- I traveled to Paris [ but - on – and ] I didn't see Eiffel Tower . 16- Yesterday I read a story about an imaginative frightening sea [ master – minister – monster ] . 17- The policemen held up their [ shelves – shields – shells ] against the flying rocks and bricks . 18- All night long fireworks [ soared – soaked - sobbed ] into the sky .

Page 62: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Rewrite : 1- I had to travel to London last week . [ when .. ] ………………………………………………………………………………… 2- Hany studied his lessons yesterday . [ usually ] ………………………………………………………………………………… 3- The bird flew too near to the sun . [ not ] ………………………………………………………………………………… 4- You want to go to the cinema and I agree with you . [ so ] ………………………………………………………………………………… 5- Alex likes English , I like English too . [ so ] ………………………………………………………………………………… 6- Tom doesn't play tennis . Suzy doesn't play tennis . [ neither ] ………………………………………………………………………………… 7- Nour can speak French . I can speak French too . [ so ] ………………………………………………………………………………… 8- My advice to you is to study your lessons . [ should ] ………………………………………………………………………………… 9- I didn't travel to china . Hala didn't travel to China either . [ neither ] ………………………………………………………………………………… 10- I bought a new dress yesterday . I also bought a new bag . [ and ] ………………………………………………………………………………… Give one word : 1- An area of ground where plants or crops are grown . …………………….. 2- A person who takes other people's things without permission . ……………. 3- A flat piece of metal carried by a soldier and used for protection. …………. 4- It is the change from solid into liquid by heating . ………………. 5- To run away from . ………………….

Page 63: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Sample Test Choose : 1- I didn't go to the club . [ Me too – So did I – Neither did I ] . 2- I can't play football . [ So do I – Neither can I – so can I ] . 3- I like English [ but – or – and ] I don't like Arabic . 4- Amr Diab is a [ famous – familiar – intelligent ] singer all people love him . 5- A lion has escaped [ at – in – from ] its cage . 6- The [ audience – doctors – crowd ] clapped their hands for the performance of the actors 7- You must [ disobey – obey – obedient ] your teachers . 8- Don't stare [ in – at – on ] me like that . Rewrite : 1- Ali doesn't eat pizza . Omar doesn't eat pizza either . [ Neither ] ………………………………………………………………………………… 2- Noura likes playing tennis . She doesn't like playing volleyball . [ but ] ………………………………………………………………………………… 3- The bird flew very high in the sky . [ How .. ] ………………………………………………………………………………… 4- Ali has just done his homework . [ yet ] ………………………………………………………………………………… Dialogue : Supply the missing parts in the following dialogue : Omar : What's your favourite hobby ? Nour : …………………………………………… Omar : …………………………………………. ? Nour : I have been practising tennis since2003 . Composition : My last summer holiday Last summer – travel – England – plane – Big Ben – souvenirs – enjoyed . ………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………

Page 64: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Comprehension : Read the passage , then answer the following questions : Hard work and success We all agree to the fact that hard work is the golden key to success . Work is the only way to a chieve our hopes in life . Thus ,we must do our best to get what we want . Those who wok honestly , always achieve great progress Undoubtedly , lazy people can't achieve success and fail in life . They don't work hard but they sleep and wait for success to come to them . This kind of people are not productive in our society but they are in fact parasites . In condusion , we must work hard and encourage other people to exert great efforts to be successful in life . hard work is really an honour . Answer the following questions : 1- What is the golden key to success ? ………………………………………………………………………………..

2- What should we do to achieve our hopes ? ………………………………………………………………………………..

B- Choose the correct answer : 3- The society , whose individuals work hard , always achieves . a- gold b- progress c- failure 4- We should …………… people to exert efforts to be successful in life . a- encourage b- discourage c- ignore

Page 65: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Unit 8 I- Vocabulary : Astronaut A traveller into space in a spacecraft . Spacecraft Spaceship Scientist A person who studies or teaches science . Courageous Brave . Tiny Very small Hazardous Dangerous Hatch The door in a plane or a spacecraft . giant Huge . Mankind All the people in the world . Incredible Difficult to believe . Shuffle A way of walking without lifting your feet off the ground . Charcoal A black substance that is produced from burned wood . peace A situation or a period of time in which there is no war or

violence in a country or area . Landscape Everything you can see when you look across a large area of

land . The soles of the feet

The bottom surface of your feet .

Bucket A round , open container , usually made of metal or plastic with a handle , that is used for carrying something .

Pride The feeling of pleasure that you have when you do something good .

Collect Gather Prayers The words that you use when you speak to God . Phrasal verbs : * dream about something . e. g He usually dreams about the future . * Wait for something or someone . e. g : she is waiting for the bus now .

Page 66: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Put off : to delay doing something = to do it later . Speed up : to do something more quickly . Break down : to stop working . Get ride of : throw it away . Pull off : succeed . Come back : return . Grammar Present continuous with future Meaning Usage : We use the present continuous to express what we have planned to do in the near future . e. g. Sally is going to the cinema tomorrow ./ Ex: Ali is traveling to Alex. next week . Key words : Tomorrow – tonight – today – this morning , evening -, afternoon – next week . Form : positive v. to be [ am – is – are ] + verb + ing e. g Omar is buying a new car today . Negative : V. To be + not + verb + ing e. g. Nour and Rana aren't playing tennis in a week . Question : V. to be + noun or pronoun + verb + ing e. g . Are they watching T. V tonight ?

Page 67: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Choose : 1- I saw an [ amazed – amazing – frightened ] film yesterday . 2- He [ put off – pulled off – broke down ] the meeting till next week . 3- Let's say a [ song – pray – prayer ] for all the people who are ill . 4- This boy is [ coward – courageous – silly ] he saved the injured man bravely . 5- Hany's car [ broke down – put off – came back ] on his way to work this morning . 6- Travelling into space is [ tired – hazardous – amazed ] . 7- Her parents watched with [ pride – proud – sadness ] as Noha went up to take her prize . 8- Life in the countryside is very [ peaceful – quite – noisy ] . 9- A / An [ Scientist – astronaut – engineer ] is a person who studies science . 10- Astronauts travel to space in a [ ambulance – parachute – spacecraft ] . 11- We are traveling to London [ yesterday – tonight – every year ] . 12- The astronaut opened the [ hatch – bonnet – seat ] and got out of the spacecraft . 13- This invention is [ useless – incredible – courageous ] It is a dream which has come true to everyone . 14- The pizza is delicious , Did you make it [ yourself – myself – herself ] . 15- Salma [ visited – is visiting – visits ] her aunt in 2 days . Re-write : 1- Mona studied her lessons yesterday . [ this evening ] ………………………………………………………………………………….. 2- Hany is playing tennis tomorrow . [ not ] ………………………………………………………………………………….. 3- Rana is traveling to London next week . [ when ] ………………………………………………………………………………….. 4- Ahmed likes reading English stories . I like reading English stories , too .[ so ] ………………………………………………………………………………….. 5- I can clean my room myself . [ we ] ………………………………………………………………………………….. 6- My father's car stopped working on his way to work yesterday . [ break down ] ………………………………………………………………………………….. 7- I delayed going to the cinema till next week . [ put ] ………………………………………………………………………………….. 8- I threw away my old teddy bear . [ get ]

Page 68: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

………………………………………………………………………………….. 9- Tom succeeded in achieving his goals . [ off ] ………………………………………………………………………………….. 10- Helen has studied French since last year . [ for ] ………………………………………………………………………………….. Give one word : 1- Difficult to believe …………………………….. 2- Someone who studies science . …………………………….. 3- Someone who travels into space …………………………….. 4- brave …………………………….. 5- All the people in the world …………………………….. Sample test on U . 8 Choose : 1- Rana [ swims – swam – is swimming ] in the pool this morning . 2- Let's [ get ride of – put off – speed up ] that old chair and buy a new one . 3- He earns an [ possible – believable – incredible ] salary . 4- Ali walked [ careful – carefully – careless ] across the river . 5- [ Scientists – Astronauts – Actors ] made great inventions for mankind . 6- You have to speed [ of – up – off ] the work because you are late . 7- Most of us always [ get ride of – dream about – put off ] the future . 8- Playing with fire works is [ hazardous – interested – safety ] . Rewrite : 1- Sarah goes to the club twice a week . [ How .. ] …………………………………………………………………………. 2- Reem usually studies her lessons . [ not ] …………………………………………………………………………. 3- The football club succeeded in winning the first cup . [ pull ] …………………………………………………………………………. 4- Omar went to the cinema last eek . [ tonight ] ………………………………………………………………………….

Page 69: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Dialogue : Tom : ………………………………………………..? Sam : I'm traveling to France . Tom : How are you traveling there ? Sam : I'm traveling by plane . Tom : ……………………………………………….. ? Sam : I'm staying there for week . Comprehension : Thomas Edison was born in 1847 in America . As a little boy , he wanted to know everything . Very early in life , he showed that he was full of curiosity . He worked for sometimes as a telephone operator . But soon he became interested in inventing things . His first great invention was a system of telegraph . Soon afterwards , he invented the phonograph , the first form of ' phonograph ' means something that can ' write ] or record sound . Edison also invented a heated wire called a ' filament ' . The wire is heated by an electric current . This invention allowed people to use electricity to light their homes . Answer the following questions : 1- What was Edison interested in ? 2- How did the lamp help people ? Choose : 3- A phonograph ………………………….. a- lights houses b- records sound c- sends telegrams 4- Edison spent most of his life as ……………… a- an inventor b- a telephone operator c- an electrician Composition : Write a paragraph of 6 sentences about " Tourism in Egypt " ……………………………………………………………………………….. ……………………………………………………………………………….. ……………………………………………………………………………….. ……………………………………………………………………………….. ……………………………………………………………………………….. ………………………………………………………………………………..

Guiding words :

Page 70: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

tourism – important – Egypt – tourists – come – enjoy – attractions – sun shine – pyramids – luxor and Aswan – national income .

Page 71: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Cairo Governorate Department : English Nozha Directorate of Education Form : 5th Primary Nozha Language Schools Revision Sheet “Ismailia Road” Branch First Term

)1 Chapter ( Story

The Wizard of Oz * New Vocabulary : * Sweet : nice , kind and lovely . * Flat : board , smooth and not very thick or high . * Wooden : made of wood . * Dull : not bright or shining . * Cyclone : very strong wind moving quickly in a circle . * Cellar : an underground room usually used for storing things . * Lift : to bring from a lower to a higher level . * Whirl : to move round and round very fast .

:Answer the following questions *

1. Who is Dorothy ? ……………………………………………………………………………………. 2. Who did Dorothy live with ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 3. Where did Dorothy live ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 4. Describe Dorothy's house . …………………………………………………………………………………….. 5. How did things look to Dorothy ? Why ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 6. What was often there in Kansas ? What does Dorothy do then ? …………………………………………………………………………………… 7. What was Dorothy doing when the cyclone was coming ? ……………………………………………………………………………………. 8. What did Dorothy do when she knew about the cyclone ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 9. How did Toto feel when the cyclone came ? What did Toto do then ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 10. What happened to Dorothy's house ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 11. How did Dorothy feel during the cyclone ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 12. What did Dorothy and Toto do when the cyclone started ? ……………………………………………………………………………………..

Page 72: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

:the following sentences with the suitable words Complete *

1. Dorothy was a ……………………………….. girl and she …………….. a lot.

2. Dorothy lived with …………………. and ………………… in ………………

3. Dorothy had a ………………………………….. she called it ………………..

4. They all lived in ………………………………………………………………..

5. For Dorothy , everything looked ……………………..and …………. because

……………………………………………………………………………

6. There are often ………………………………. in ……………………………...

7. When there was a cyclone , they all ……………………………………………

8. When the cyclone was coming , Dorothy was ……………………………,

Aunt Em was …………………… and Uncle Henry was ………………………

9. Aunt Em ran to the …………………………….and ………………………….

10. Dorothy and Toto were ……………………………………………………….

11. Suddenly , the house ………………… into the air and …………… around .

12. Dorothy …………………. on her bed . She closed her eyes and …………….

Page 73: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Chapter Two New Vocabulary :- Bang A sharp , sudden loud noise . Notice To pay attention to especially with your eyes . Pointed To be shaped to a point at one end . Wicked Very bad – evil . Witch A woman that has or is believed to have magic powers . Powerful Very strong and full of force . Stick out To be clearly seen . Slaves A person that's completely in the control of another person or thing . Emerald A bright green expensive stone . Brick A hard piece of baked clay that's used in building . Forehead The part of the face that's above the eyes and below the hair . * Answer the following questions : 1- What did Dorothy see when she woke up after the cyclone ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 2- How did the people , that Dorothy saw when she woke up , look like ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 3- Who was the woman dressed in white ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 4- Why did the kind witch thank Dorothy ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 5- What did the old lady think about Dorothy ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 6- Who are the Munchkins ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 7- Were the Munchkins happy after the death of the witch of the East ? Why ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 8- What did Dorothy ask the witch for ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 9- Where must Dorothy go ? Why ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 10- How can Dorothy get to the Emerald city ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 11- What did the witch do with Dorothy ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 12- What did the witch do with Dorothy before she left ? Why ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 13- What did Dorothey do before she start her journey ?

………………………………………………………………………………………

Page 74: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

* Comment on the following : 1- " Thank you very much ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 2- " You must be a powerful witch ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 3- " Oh dear . That's Terrible ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 4- " The Munchkins were her salves for many years ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 5- " Maybe you can help me. I want to go home to Kansas ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 6- " You must go to the Emerald city ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 7- " I must kiss you ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 8- " Goodbye . Good Luck ! "

……………………………………………………………………………………… * Complete the following sentences : 1- When Dorothy woke up , she heard ……… and she noticed …………. 2- ……………was coming through the window . 3- Dorothy saw …………… , …….. and …. When she woke up . 4- Dorothy also saw some …………………….. people , they were wearing ……….… They were called ………….. 5- The old woman was wearing ………………….. 6- The old woman …………… Dorothy because ……………………… 7- The old woman thought that Dorothy was ………………………….. 8- …………………… didn't like the wicked witch of the East , because ……………… 9- The old woman was the ……………………………… 10- The wicked witch of the East was wearing ……………….. on her feet . 11- Dorothy asked the kind witch to …………….. 12- The witch of the North couldn't ……… Dorothy , because …….. 13- Dorothy must go to …………… to meet …………. who can help her . 14- Dorothy must walk ………….. to get to the Emerald City . 15- Dorothy put ………………. on and started her journey . 16- The witch of the North ……… Dorothy on the ……… to …………. on her journey . 17- Dorothy went inside ……………… and filled her ……………. with ……………

Page 75: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Chapter Three New Vocabulary : Scarecrow An object in the shape of a person , set up in a field to keep birds away

from crops . Wink To close and open one eye quickly as a signal between people. Pole A long usually thin round stick or post . Sack A large bag of strong cloth or leather used for carrying flour , coal ..etc. Stuff with To fill with a substance . Straw Dried stems of grain plants , such as wheat used for animals to sleep on Brain The part of the body in the head which controls thought and feeling . Cottage A small house in the country . Tin A soft whitish metal that's a simple substance . Axe A tool with a heavy metal blade on the end of a long handle used to cut

down trees . Groan To make a loud sound of suffering , worry . Joints A place were things join . Excitedly With strong , pleasant feelings . * Answer the following questions : 1- What did Dorothy see in the field ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 2- What did the scarecrow do when he saw Dorothy ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 3- Why was Dorothy surprised when she saw the scarecrow ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 4- What did the scarecrow ask Dorothy to do ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 5- Was the scarecrow heavy ? Why ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 6- How did the scarecrow look like ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 7- Was this scarecrow a usual one ? Why ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 8- What was the scarecrow's wish ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 9- What did Dorothy offer the scarecrow ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 10- Where did Dorothy and Toto sleep ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 11- Who was shouting ? Why ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 12- How can Dorothy help the Tin Man ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 13- What was the Tin man's wish ?

Page 76: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

* Comment on the following : 1- " " Please , take me down ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 2- " I look heavy but I'm not heavy at all ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 3- " I would like to have a brain .

……………………………………………………………………………………… 4- " Come with us . You can ask him ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 5- " Help ! "

……………………………………………………………………………………… 6- " There's an oil can in my cottage ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 7- " You're welcome ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 8- " Maybe he can give me a heart ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… * Complete the following sentences : 1- Dorothy and Toto saw ……………. in a field . 2- The Scarecrow ……………. at Dorothy . 3- The scarecrow wanted Dorothy to ………….. 4- The scarecrow looked ……………. but really he isn't at all . 5- The scarecrow looked ……………. because his head was …………….. and he had a ……………….. face while his body was ……….. 6- The scarecrow was …………………. one , he would like to …….. 7- The scarecrow will …………….. to meet …………… Maybe he …………. 8- After they walked for a long time , Dorothy , Toto and the scarecrow stopped at …………. in ………………. 9- Dorothy and Toto were ……………. and they fell …………. immediately . 10- The scarecrow , Dorothy and Toto heard ……… coming from ………….. 11- When Dorothy , Toto and the scarecrow reached the forest , they saw ………… made of ……… 12- The Tin Man was …………….next to ……… He was holding …………. 13- The Tin Man asked Dorothy to ………………… 14- Dorothy ran back to ……………. and returned with ……….. to …………. 15- The Tin Man wanted to ……………….. , so he will …………………… 16- …………….. and …………. joined Dorothy in her journey to the Emerald city .

Page 77: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Chapter Four New Voc. : Log A thick piece of wood from a tree . Rust To become covered with a reddish brown surface that forms on iron

when attacked by water and air . Stuck To be fixed in a place and unable to move . Roar To give a deep loud continuing sound . Rub To move something backwards and forwards on the surface of another . Coward A person who is unable to face danger , pain … He shows fear in a

shameful way . Courage The quality that makes a person able to control fear in the face of dander

or pain . Company The people with whom a person spends time . Ditch U. shaped passage cut into the ground , that isn't very deep , that's made

for water to flow . Jagged To have a rough , hard edge . Brave Fearless and ready to suffer danger or pain . * Answer the following questions :- 1- What was the Tin Man doing in the forest ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 2- Why was the Tin man stuck in the forest ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 3- Who was scared of the lion ? What did it do ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 4- What did Dorothy do with the lion ? Why ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 5- What did the lion want to have ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 6- Were Dorothy and her friends happy to walk with the lion ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 7- Where did Dorothy and her friends sleep ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 8- Who didn't sleep ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 9- Where did Dorothy get her breakfast from ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 10- What did Dorothy and her friends see across the road ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 11- Who helped Dorothy and her friends to go across the ditch ? How ?

……………………………………………………………………………………… 12- What did Dorothy think of the lion ? What did he say about himself .

Page 78: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

* Comment on the following :- 1- " I wanted to cut some logs for my fire ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 2- " Please , don't hit me ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 3- " You are a great big coward ! "

……………………………………………………………………………………… 4- " I'm very sorry ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 5- " Maybe he can give me courage ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 6- " I'm a big strong animal ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 7- " That was very brave of you ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… 8- " I'm a coward . I don't have courage ."

……………………………………………………………………………………… * Complete the following sentences : 1- Dorothy and the scarecrow wanted to …………… . 2- The Tin Man was ……………… in the forest . 3- When it started to ……………. , the Tin Man's joints ……………. 4- The Tin man was …………. in the forest , because ……………….. 5- Dorothy and her friends heard …………….. 6- …………….. was scared of the lion , but he ………………. 7- Dorothy …………….. at the lion and …………. him on his nose , because ………… 8- The lion begged Dorothy not to ……………………………. 9- Dorothy called the lion a great big ………… because ……………. 10- The lion wanted the Wizard to …………. 11- ……………. , …… and …………… joined Dorothy in her journey . 12- The lion …………….. all the other animals . 13- At night , Dorothy and her friends were ………….. they all …………… under …… except ………….who didn't sleep . 14- Dorothy and her friends saw a …………. that divided ………….. into two . 15- Dorothy colleted some ………. and ………… from the ………… for her ………… 16- The ditch was …………….. and ………… 17- At the bottom of the ditch , there was ……………….. 18- The lion is ……………. and ………….. He can ……….. and jump across the ditch . 19- The Scarecrow was the ………………. 20- Dorothy thought that the lion was very …………. But he said that he was ……. and didn't have ……………. and didn't have ……………….. He was just …………..

Page 79: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Chapter 5 New Vocabulary :- raft pieces of wood tied together and used as a boat or a floating platform . poles long thin pieces of wood or metal . current a continuous flowing movement of water . stork a large white bird with a long beak , neck and legs . Answer the following questions :

1- What was the scarecrow's idea to cross the river ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 2- How did they move the raft across the river ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 3- Why did the scarecrow shout for help ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 4- Why couldn't they help the scarecrow in the river ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 5- How did the lion help them to cross the river ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 6- Why was it a difficult swim for the lion ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 7- " We can't help the scarecrow , but we can cross the river ." Comment ……………………………………………………………………………………… 8- " The scarecrow won't get a brain and I'll miss him ." Comment ……………………………………………………………………………………… 9- Why did the Tin Man cry ? Who heard him ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 10- How did the stork save the scarecrow ? ………………………………………………………………………………………

Complete the following sentences : 1- The Tin Man cut some ………………. to make a ………. 2- The ……………………………… and the ………………. pushed the poles into the

water . 3- Everything was fine until they reached the ……………… 4- The sccrecrow was holding onto ……………. and stuck in the ………. 5- The ………………… pushed the raft away from the scarecrow . 6- The ……………. Jumped into the river and swam . 7- The Tin Man hold on to the lion's ………….. 8- The raft was ………… and the current was ……………so it was a difficult swim . 9- The lion didn't think that he was ………….. . He thought that he was just

……………… 10- They all sat in the sun while the lion ………… 11- The Tin Man felt sad for ………………. because ……………….. 12- A ………………. saved the scarecrow as the scarecrow wasn't …………… 13- They all …………….. the stork and continued their ………….. 14- The scarecrow won't get a ……………….

Page 80: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Chapter 6 New Vocabulary :- river bank the ground by the side of the river . poppy a bright red wild flower that has small black seeds . field an area of land on a a farm used for growing crops . deadly causing death . bother to annoy or worry somebody . chopped off removed something from something by cutting it with a sharp tool . blow a hard hit creature a living thing but not a plant . in trouble a situation that causes a problem , difficulty or worry . gather to come together ion a group . grateful feeling or showing thanks . whistle a small metal or plastic tube that you blow into to make a long high sound Answer the following questions :

1- How will the 4 friends go back to the yellow brick road ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 2- Why did Dorothy and Toto fall asleep ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 3- Who carried Dorothy and Toto out of the field ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 4- Did the lion fall asleep ? Why ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 5- What did they hear as they were resting ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 6- How did the Tin man save the mouse ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 7- Who did the mouse thank ? why ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 8- " I don't have a heart . That is why I must help any creature who is in trouble ."

Comment . ……………………………………………………………………………………… 9- How did the Queen of mice reward the Tin Man ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 10- That's very kind , but I don't need anything thank you ." Comment . ……………………………………………………………………………………… 11- How did the mice help the Tin Man ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 12- What did the Queen give the four friends ? Why ? ………………………………………………………………………………………

Page 81: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Complete the following sentences : 1- The ……………….. will lead them back to the yellow ……………. 2- They walked through a beautiful …………………… 3- The poppies had a …………….. they were ………….. 4- The lion should …………….. as he could or he'll …………… too . 5- The smell won't bother ……………….. and …………. 6- The Tin Man and the scarecrow carried ………….. and …………. out of the field . 7- When Dorothy and Toto woke up , they were ……………. , so they ………..

…………………………………………………………………………………. 8- They heard a small voice shouting ," …………………………." 9- A little ……………….. was running away from a huge ……………. 10- The Tin Man picked up his ……. and ……. the wild cat's head with one ………… 11- Oh , your …………………….., we thought that the wild cat would ……….. 12- This ……………….. Tin Man saved my life , so you must ……………. 13- That's very kind , but I don't ………………………. 14- The mice gathered together and managed to …………………. 15- Dorothy and her friends were ………….. to the Queen and her mice .

Page 82: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Chapter 7 New Vocabulary :- gate the part of a wall that can be opened and closed . guard a person who protects a place or people . promise a written or spoken agreement that you will or will not do something . marble a hard attractive stone that's used to make statues . throne the special chair where a king or a queen sits . sparkle to shine . gems valuable stone that are used in jewellery . terrible very bad or upset instruction an order that tells you what to do . beast a large animal . Answer the following questions :

1- Describe the Emerald City . ……………………………………………………………………………………… 2- Why were Dorothy and her friends disappointed at the gate ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 3- Where did the guard take them ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 4- Describe the room where the guard led them . ……………………………………………………………………………………… 5- What did the throne look like ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 6- What did Dorothy see in the center of the chair ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 7- What must Dorothy do for the wizard to go back home ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 8- " I've come to you for help . I want to go home , to Kansas ." Comment . ……………………………………………………………………………………… 9- What did the scarecrow and the lion see in the throne Room ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 10- What did the wizard ask the Tin man to do ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 11- Where can they find the wicked witch of the west ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 12- Who are the winkies ? ………………………………………………………………………………………

Page 83: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Complete the following sentences :

1- Outside the gate of the Emerald City , everything was ……………..

2- The guard at the gate was ……………………

3- Dorothy and her friends came a very long way to …………………..

4- The guard can't promise that …………………………………………

5- The guard led them into a big room with …………….. and ….

6- The throne is made of ………………………………………

7- Dorothy saw a huge head that had ……………. , but it didn't have .

8- Dorothy must ……………. , so that the wizard can help her .

9- The scarecrow didn't see …………….. on the throne , but he saw …………

10- The Tin man saw a ………………… in the middle of the throne .

11- The lion saw a …………….. sitting on the throne .

12- The lion and the scarecrow left the room with ……………………………

13- The four friends prepared to leave the Emerald city to ………………………

14- the witch will find them in the ……………………………………………

15- The winkies are the witch's …………………………………………..

Page 84: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Chapter 8 New Vocabulary :- in the distance far away servant a person who is paid to work in some body's house . obey to do what you are told to do . Yelled- yell to shout very loudly often because you're angry excited or in pain .disappoint to make somebody sad because what they had hoped for hasn't

happened . pack a group of wild animals that hunt together . barking used about dogs when they make a loud short noise . Attacked- attack to try to hurt somebody or something. beaten to be hit hard many times . groan to make a deep sad sound because you're in pain . straw the long thin parts of some plants which are dried . bucket a round open container with a handle . sponge something soft which is full of holes and can hold water easily . invisible that cannot be seen . tripped : trip : to catch your foot on something and fall . grabbed grab : to take something with a sudden movement . dissolved : dissolve to become liquid . released : release to set free . repair fix; to put something old or damaged back into good condition . Mess The state of being dirty or untidy .

Answer the following questions :

1- Where did the wicked witch live ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 2- How could the witch see Dorothy and her friends ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 3- What did the witch ask the winged monkeys to do ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 4- What did Dorothy and her friends see in the sky ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 5- How did the monkeys attack the Tin Man ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 6- What did the monkey do with the scarecrow ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 7- Why couldn't the lion fight back the monkeys ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 8- Who did the monkeys lift up ? Where did they take them ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 9- Where did the witch put the lion ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 10- Why was the witch scared of Dorothy ? ………………………………………………………………………………………

Page 85: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

11- Describe Dorothy's days in the witch's castle . ……………………………………………………………………………………… 12- What was the witch's idea to get the silver shoes ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 13- How did Dorothy react when the witch took off one of her shoes ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 14- Who killed the wicked witch ? How ? ……………………………………………………………………………………… 15- Why were the winkies grateful to Dorothy ? How did they help her ? ………………………………………………………………………………………

Complete the following sentences : 1- Dorothy and her friends could see a big ……………….. in the distance . 2- The witch looked at them through ………………….. 3- The witch called ……………… They were her servants . 4- The witch wanted the winged monkeys to ……………….. 5- The black cloud turned to be a ………………………… 6- When Toto saw the monkeys , it ……………………… 7- The winged monkeys ……………… Dorothy and her friends . 8- The monkey's dropped the Tin Man on …………………….. 9- The Tin Man was …………………….. He couldn't move or …….. 10- The monkeys pulled out all the …….. from the scarecrow's body and threw his clothes on ………………. 11- The monkeys took ………………… , ……………. and the ……… to the castle . 12- The lion was tied with ……………………. 13- The witch put the lion in …………………………. 14- The witch looked worriedly at Dorothy as she noticed that ……………… 15- Dorothy was the witch's ………………………… 16- The witch gave Dorothy a ……………. And a ………………… 17- The witch placed an ………………. in the middle of the floor . 18- Dorothy couldn't see the bar , so she ……………….. 19- Dorothy was angry , so she ………………………. 20- Dorothy released the …………………..and the ……………. 21- The witch …………… and turned into a brown …………….. 22- Dorothy didn't know that ………………… can kill the witch . 23- Dorothy asked the winkies to ………………… 24- The winkies had to ………….. the Tin Man and oil ………….. 25- The winkies gathered the ………………. and filled them with ……. .

Page 86: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Chapter 9 New Vocabulary :- beg (v.) to make a very strong and urgent request . rule (v.) to control or to be person in charge of a country . decide (v.) to choose something especially after thinking carefully . fit (v.) to be the right size or shape for someone or something . whistle (n.) an object which you hold to your lips and blow through to

make aloud sound . blew (v..past ) -blow (present) to make a sound by forcing air through an

instrument . charm (n) an object or saying which is thought to have magical powers

. instructions (n) information about how to do or use something . Complete the following sentences :-

1- On the …………… day in … land the winkies gave the four friends all ………. And …….. the Tin Man to ……. and ………….. winkie land .

2- The Tin Man decided to ……………….. 3- Dorothy opened the witch's cupboard and filled her …………… with ….. and took

the ……………….. 4- The four friends were on their way to …. but they don't know the ………… 5- Dorothy called the field mice by using the ………. and …….. on. 6- The four friends' problem was ……………………………….. 7- The Golden cap is a …………….. one and it can help her their …………

Answer the following questions : 1- When did the four friends took the presents ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 2- Who did the winkies ask to stay ? Why ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 3- What did Dorothy take from the witch's cupboard ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 4- Did the Golden cap fitted Dorothy ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 5- How did the queen of mice help them ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 6- What did Dorothy read ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 7- What happened next ? …………………………………………………………………………………….. 8- " It's so nice to see you again " Comment ! …………………………………………………………………………………….. 9- " We can call the field mice " Comment ! ……………………………………………………………………………………..

Page 87: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Chapter 10 New Vocabulary :-

excited (adj) feeling very happy .

promise (v.) to tell someone that you will certain do something .

impress (v.) to cause someone to admire or respect you because of something

that you've done .

trip over to fall over onto one side .

bald (adj) with little or no hair on the head .

ventriloquist the one who has the ability to speak without moving his lips

balloonist (n) a person who takes a part in the sport of travelling by balloon

confidence (n.) the quality of being certain of your abilities or having trust .

instead (adj) in place of someone or something else .

chest (n) part of the body between the stomach and the neck .

silk (n.) a delicate , soft , type of cloth made from thread made by

silkworms .

replace (v.) to take place of something .

I- Complete the following sentences :-

1- ……………… rang the …………… and the …………….. opened the gate .

2- " We've ……………………………." Said the lion bravely .

3- Dorothy and her friends couldn't sleep because ………………………….

4- There was only a …………….. in the …………. room .

5- The wizard got ……………… from the lion and he ………….. over the screen .

6- The four friends look ……………..because they saw ……………………

7- OZ was from …………………. and he was ………………….

8- The people in Emerald city thought OZ was great because ………………….

9- So , OZ can't ………………………….

10- The scarecrow doesn't need a ……….. because he …………………. , the lion doesn't

need courage , he needs only ………………. and the Tin Man doesn't need a heart

because it will …………………..

Page 88: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

11- The next day , OZ took all ………… out of the scare crow's head and filled it with

………… instead .

12- OZ cuts a hole in ………… Man ……………. and put a ………… made of ………..

13- OZ gave a ………………… to the lion .

14- OZ thought he can help Dorothy by ………………………..

15- The balloon took off but Dorothy ………………………….. She was left behind .

Answer the following questions :

1- Who rang the bell ? Who opened the gate ?

………………………………………………………………………………

2- What did the four friends need ?

3- Why didn't the four friends sleep ?

4- What was in the Throne Room ?

5- What happened when the lion roared ?

6- Why did the lion roar ?

7- What was OZ's story ?

8- Why did the people of Emerld city think that he was great ?

9- What did OZ do for Tin Man , scarecrow and the lion ?

10- What did OZ think of to help Dorothy ?

11- " And we want you to keep your promise " Comment !

12- " Hurry Dorothy , the wind is blowing " Comment .

Page 89: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Chapter 11 New Vocabulary :-

protect (v.) to keep someone or something safe from damage or loss . beast (n.) a large wild animal . Complete the following sentences :-

1- " Why don't you ………………. ………………. ?" Said the scarecrow . 2- The winged monkeys can't ……………….. and can't ………………. 3- The scarecrow had a good idea , it was to ………………………………. 4- The guard told them that ………….. could help them , because they live close to

……………………………… 5- " Glinda " the ……………… witch of the …………….. and she ruled the ………… 6- In the morning , a very big ……… walked up to the ……………. And asked him to

help the other animals by ………………………………. . 7- The lion helped the other animals by …………………….. 8- The animals wanted the ………………… to ………… the forest . 9- The lion will go with Dorothy and Toto to …………….. her and the Tin Man can

help with …………………….. Answer the following questions : 1- Why didn't the winged monkey help Dorothy ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 2- What was the second idea of the scarecrow ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 3- Who was " Glinda " ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 4- Where will Dorothy , Toto and lion go ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 5- Who did they meet in the middle of the way ? Why ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 6- How did the lion help the animals ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 7- What did the animals want from the lion ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 8- Did Glinda accept to meet Dorothy and her friends ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 9- " We can't help you , we can't cross the desert ." Comment ! ……………………………………………………………………………… 10- " She needs somebody to protect her " Comment ! ……………………………………………………………………………… 11- " We need your help " Comment ! ……………………………………………………………………………… 12- " I will ask if the Good witch Glinda will see you ." Comment ! ………………………………………………………………………………

Page 90: Macmillan 5 booklet t1

Chapter 12

New Vocabulary :-

curly (adj) having a curved shape . hug (v.) to hold someone or something close to your body with your arms . click (v.) to make a short sharp sound . heels (n) the raised part at the back of shoes . Complete the following sentences :

1- Glinda was wearing ………………………. She had ………….. and beautiful ………….. hair .

2- Dorothy told Glinda about her …………….. and all about their ………… 3- Glinda will help Dorothy but she ………………… 4- When Dorothy returns to Kansas , the Tin Man will …………………. , the lion will

………………… and the scarecrow will ……………. 5- Dorothy …………………. And ………… each of her friends , she was very

……………. 6- The silver shoes have …………………. , Dorothy should …………… the heels

together ……………… times and them the …………….. 7- Dorothy clicked the heels 3 times and aid " …………………" 8- She started turning round and the next thing , she ………………. She was ………

outside ……………………… Aunt ………………. was standing the …………. Answer the following questions :-

1- Describe Glinda ! ……………………………………………………………………………… 2- What did Glinda take from Dorothy ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 3- What will Dorothy's friends do when Dorothy returns to kensas ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 4- Who did Glinda call ? Why ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 5- How will Dorothy return home ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 6- Who was standing in the doorway ? ……………………………………………………………………………… 7- I will return to the Emerald city and replace OZ " Comment ! ……………………………………………………………………………… 8- " You must give me the Golden cap ." Comment . ……………………………………………………………………………… 9- " Where on earth have you been ?" Comment ! ………………………………………………………………………………