Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Legends myths
- 1. Legends
2. What are Legends?
- Legends are stories based intruth , but withunbelievableparts.
Ogier the Dane 3. Legend Example
- Count Dracula
- His real name was Vlad Dracula.
- He was also known as Vlad the Impaler ( Vlad Tepesin Romanian).
4. Legend Example 2
- Camecuaro Lake
- Located in Mexico.
- Thought be have been created by a Queen's tears.
5. Myths 6. What are Myths?
- Stories, usually from old religions, that teach lessons.
- They can also explainwhy things happen , or how things in the past happened.
7. Types of Myths
- The Creation Tale: How the world and humans came to be.
8. Creation Tales
- The Fourth World of the Hopi.
- Each tribe given a piece of corn, symbolic of the life they would lead.
- White men and the Powaka.
9. Creation Tales
- The creation of Japan.
- Izanagi and Izanami with the spear creating islands.
- Three children: Amaterasu, Tsuki-yami, Susano-wo.
10. Types of Myths
- The Hero Quest: A tale of a hero who goes through great trials to gain knowledge or power.
11. Gilgamesh (Babylonian)
- His best friend Enkidu dies before his eyes.
- Goes on a quest to find immortality.
- Learns how precious life is, and dedicates his life to helping his people.
12. Wunzh (Ojibwa)
- Goes on a rite of passage to become a man.
- Encounters a spirit he must wrestle.
- After killing the spirit, he gains the knowledge of farming corn.
13. Other Myths (Greek, Roman)
- Arachne boasted she was a better weaver than Athena (Minerva).
- Athena (Minerva) punished her by making her a spider.
- This is why spiders make webs.