Kkt interactive smx-toronto2013
Click here to load reader
Embed Size (px)
My slidedeck on Google AuthorShip for the SMX Toronto 2013 Conference!
Transcript of Kkt interactive smx-toronto2013
- Authorship:Why Claiming yourIdentity MattersSMX Toronto 2013
- Our Session TOC Googles Official Position Basics Googles Patents on AuthorShip & AuthorRank Microsoft & Yahoo are in as well Google+ and AuthorShip The Benefits of AuthorShip AuthorShip Bonuses AuthorShip Conclusions The Future of AuthorShip & AuthorRank Credits
- The Official Google Basics This is all about Authorship and its impact on SEO and Social Media too To begin, lets look at the various search engine patents and pull out what I think are the best factors they divulge about that ranking functionality from same http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py? hl=en&answer=1140194
- Google Might Rank User GeneratedWeb Content in Google + and OtherSocial Networks! by Bill Slawski, seobythesea.com the Patent Whisperer http://www.seobythesea.com/2011/07/how-google-might-rank-user-generated-web-con
- Agent Rank!Google Patent: US 2007/0033168 A1Filing date: Aug 8, 2005this technique ranks authors in social mediasystems through a combination of statisticaltechniques that leverage usage metrics, and socialand topical graph characteristics. In variousexemplary embodiments, the technique can rankauthor authority http://www.google.com/patents/US20070033168
- Method and Apparatus for Rating User Generated Content in Search Results!Google Patent: US 2011/0196860 A1Filing date: Apr 19, 2011a method and apparatus provides for rating usergenerated content (UGC) with respect to searchengine resultsthereby generating a rating factorfor the UGC field based on the document goodnessfactor, the author rank and the location rankhttp://www.google.com/patents/US20090271391
- Ranking Authors in Social Media Systems!Microsoft Patent: US 2012/0117059Filing date: Nov 9, 2010the technique can rank author authority by thefollowing: 1) temporal analysis of link sharing inwhich authority is computed based on a userspropensity to provide early links to web pagesthat subsequently become popular; 2) topicalauthority based on the authors links and contentupdates in specific topic areas toohttp://www.google.com/patents/US20120117059
- Method and Apparatus for Rating User Generated in Search ResultsYahoo Patent: US 2009/0271391Filing date: Apr 29, 2008The method and apparatus thereby generates arating factor for the UGC field based on thedocument goodness factor, the author rank andthe location rankto output a search result thatincludes the UGC data field positioned in thesearch results based on the rating factorPatent Filings here
- Patent Take Aways? All Search Engines have patents on using social media of one type or another to create identifiable content authorsand will rank sites based on that AuthorShiphttp://www.seo-theory.com/2013/02/06/seo-myths-about-authorship-and-author-rank/
- So What?http://www.seo-theory.com/2013/02/06/seo-myths-about-authorship-and-author-rank/
- Within search results, information tied to verifiedonline profiles will be ranked higher than contentwithout such verification, which will result in mostusers naturally clicking on the top (verified) results.The true cost of remaining anonymous, then, might beirrelevance... Eric Schmidt, ex-Googler NYTimes Book Review 2013
- Traffic!Want at least a Boost in Traffic?Then Use this Idiot-Proof Guide to GoogleAuthorship Markup by Neil Patel, KISSmetrics.com http://www.quicksprout.com/?s=authorship
- Click-thrus!And dont forget Authorship tacticsbring at least a 35% increase up to a400% increase in click-thrus too by Neil Patel, KISSmetrics.com http://www.quicksprout.com/2012/09/17/author-rank-a-step-by-step-guide-to-dominat
- So...isnt EVERYONE using AuthorShip then?Not even closeMost online SEMtypes are NOT usingit yet!Lets look at thathttp://www.catalystsearchmarketing.com
- Only 9% of Tech Blogs use Authorship!This is somewhat shocking it is known to increasethe click thru rates from the Google search resultsto the web site!Even moreshockingIs that 3%werent ableto do it!http://www.conductor.com/blog/2012/08/how-9-out-of-10-tech-sites-could-improve-the
- Google Authorship Adoption Among Social Media Influentials!Adoption of Google Authorship among thesehighly-influential people on social media wassurprisingly low.Only 15 of the 50 influentials (30%) have set up anAuthorship connection by Mark Traphagen, Virante.comhttp://www.virante.org/blog/https://plus.google.com/u/0/?tab=wX#communities/104474428845467390263
- Benefits OfAuthorship
- Authorship Creates Your Brand!1]. You create your own personal brandthat willlet all searchers know who you areand that you ata minimum have spoken/written on the topictheyve just searched for.
- You Now Dont Have to Be #12]. Used to be thatyou need to be #1to get click-thrusand tractionbut no more!
- And You Can Track Authorship Click-thrus!3]. In GWT > Labs > AuthorStats you can see yourown metrics. * Can you tell when I was away?
- Google Provides A Hidden Benefit!4]. After a web search and at least 90 secondsGoogle will display an extra 3 listings for averified Authorship content creator
- Authorship is Valued by Google+5]. Another way that Google Authorship is soimportant is the fact that it allows you to build up areputation in particular areas of knowledgeMuch like rival social network Facebook, Google+logs verified information about youThis influences which search results you receive aswell as how trusted certain websites are to bothyou as a user & search engines too
- SEO Benefits of Authorship!6]. When an author gets a relatively good amountof social notice and web traffic, the writer obtainsan Author Ranking with Google Authorship. Thiscreates a ranking system to boost the content eachwriter createsAs Brian Clark, founder and CEO of Copyblogger,said, Author Rank has the potential to be thebiggest algorithmic signal for the SEO since thehyperlink itself
- BONUS: Use Plus Mentioning! The ability to plus mention someone in a post in a comment by typing a + sign and then immediately typing the persons name. Once posted, the plus mention becomes a link to that persons profile, but also generates a notification to the person mentioned with a link to the post! This is a GREAT way to build AuthorRank rep!
- BONUS: Do +1 Clicks Affect Search Results? +1 helps people discover relevant contenta website, a Google search result from the people they already know and trust The +1 button appears on Google search, on websites and on ads too! So the content that you create will gain +1 clicksand help your AuthorRank increase...
- BONUS: The AuthorCrawler App! Created by Tom Anthony of Distilled Helps the SEO community to use Googles authorship markup to harvest data about links Uses the seomoz API to sort your backlinks by the social standing of the authors of those links! http://www.tomanthony.co.uk/tools/author-crawler/
- CONCLUSION: The Future of Authorship is AuthorRank!AuthorRank is defined by Google asThe identity of individual agents responsible forcontent can be used to influence searchratings Its coming. Are you ready?
- AuthorRank Take Aways: Find your own channel to be an Authority! Write often in that channel and remember to deploy it across all social media apps USE Google+ and the +1 buttons daily to help Google realize that YUP youre an Authority! Find other channel influentials and take a role in their own online reputation building too!
- AuthorRank Take Away LinksEconsultancy is AuthorRank a Myth?Seo.moz What AuthorRank is?AJ Kohn Reading May Influence AuthorRankEconsultancy Are you prepared for AuthorRankCopyBlogger Why Hunter S ThompsonDuctTape When Authors rule the WebSocialThoughts AuthorShip & IdentityAJ Kohn A Seminal AuthorRank Study