Kiva preso mit120109
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Kiva preso mit120109
- 1. Connecting people through lending for the sake of
2. Where are we today?Kivas combines 2 powerful forces to
to connect people
to alleviate poverty
Through field work, Kiva Fellows strengthen connections between Kivas stakeholders in order to alleviate poverty
3. Kiva Core Beliefs
Everyone connected.Everyone empowered.
Connecting people through lending for the sake of alleviating poverty.
Power of Microfinance
Spread of Technology
Lending is Connecting
4. Key Stakeholders of the Kiva Fellow
5. Key Stakeholders of the Kiva Fellow
6. Kiva Homepage: www.kiva.org
7. A simple story: this is a real person!
8. From Everyday Survival to Planning for the Future
Access to financial services
Increase & diversify incomes
Courtesy of CGAP: Consultative Group to Assist the Poor, http://www.cgap.org/direct/
Plan for the future
Increase food consumption
Invest in education & health
Invest in housing, water, sanitation
9. Power of Microfinance
Microfinance means building financial systems that serve the poor
Poor people need a variety of financial services
Cash Transfer Services
- Destitute people with no income or means of repayment need other kinds of support before they can make good use of loans.
11. Where possible, such services should be coupled with
building savings.Microcredit is not always the answer. Microcredit
is not the best tool for everyone or every situation.
12. Regulatory Environments
Interest rate ceilings hurt poor people by making it harder for them to get credit
The role of government is to enable financial services, not to provide them directly
13. Sustainability & Transparency
Microfinance is about building permanent local financial institutions
Microfinance can pay for itself, and must do so to reach very large numbers of poor people
The key bottleneck is the shortage of strong institutions and managers
Donations and subsidized funds should complement private capital, not compete with it
Microfinance works best when it measures - and discloses - its performance.
14. Kiva 101: How does it work?
15. How Kiva tries to make it Fun Rich user generated content, changing fast...
Real time un-edited progress updates from around the world
Loans are fully funded in hours (MFI staff love this)
Popular entrepreneurs rapidly rise to the top
Transactions happen every 37 seconds
Randomized1 minute of fame for Lenders
How Kiva tries to make it Easy Designed for everyday people, not affluent experts
I can see the person Im lending to
Low cost to entry
Quick and easy checkout
Business relationship based on mutual dignity, not pity
17. Where does Kiva work?
18. +602,000 social investors have lent +$105M in first four years
5 yr goal = $1 Billion
Other Key Stats
- Growth: $1M loans every 10 days.
19. Risk: 3.5% delinquency rate / < 0.5% default rate 20. MFI Portfolio: 100+ MFIs in 42 countries.Growing 3 a month. 21. Traffic:100,000 site visitors a week. 22. Organization:40 employees / +450 volunteers 23. Leverage: Platform raises $10 in loans for every $1 donated.