Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Jamestown Settlement
- 1. The New World
2. 3. Some Reasons for Exploration
- Build Empires
- Sea Route
4. We found new land.Now what?
- What could the countries from Europe do to keep the land that was claimed for them?
5. Hear Ye, Hear Ye,
- Her majesty, Elizabeth I, Queen of England, has appointed you to establish acolonyin the New World.Decide what you need to do to make your mission successful.
6. Roanoke Island
- Englands first attempt at a settlement
- Sir Walter Raleigh
7. Roanoke Island
- John White
- Read page 156 to find out more
8. Meanwhile, back in Europe 9. Spain vs. England 10. and the winner is Sir Francis Drake 11. Back to the colony
- King James I of England
- Virginia Company of London
- Chartera document that permitted colonists to settle on land claimed by their ruler.
- Colony called Virginia
- Jamestown the firstpermanentEnglish settlement
12. Jamestown Settlement 13. A very fit place for erecting a city.
- John Smith
- Land was low and swampy
- Air filled with mosquitoes carrying diseases
- River water was not healthy to drink
15. Gold, Gold, Gold
- Many settlers were so focused on finding gold that they didnt plan for harsh winters.
16. He that will not work, shall not eat.
- John Smith
17. Chief Powhatan
- John Smith began trading with Chief Powhatan of the Powhatan People.
- Corn helped keep the people alive.
- John Smith had people dig wells for fresh water and build homes for shelter.
- Chief Powhatans daughter was Pocahontas.
18. John Rolfe
- Married Pocahontas and found a way for the colonies to make money!
- Marrying Pocahontas helped keep peace between the English and Native Americans.
19. Cash Crop Tobacco 20. We need more people!
- Since there was now a large demand for tobacco and other crops, the colonists needed more people to work on the farms.
- Indentured Servantswere used to do the work.They agreed to work for someone for a certain period of time and then they would be able to buy their own land when they were finished being servants.
21. The House of Burgesses
- The Virginia Company wanted more people from England to come live in the colony.
- They established the House of Burgesses, which would allow the people of the colony to make their own laws.
- This is how the tradition of self-government in the English colonies began!
22. Jamestown was on its way to become a great settlement!