Invitation 2 Inquiry
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Invitation 2 Inquiry
- 1. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/29763830_a97fc2726c.jpg Image Source: Flickr- JellleS He was so learned that he could name a horse in nine languages; so ignorant that he bought a cow to ride on. --Benjamin Franklin
2. Image Source: Flickr Jacob Botter Brainstorm Inquiry Questions @ http://invitation2inquiry.wikispaces.com/ 3. http://www.ucls.uchicago.edu/photo_album/1910s/images/35sand.jpg @Dewey1956: primary interests of learner = inquiry, communication, construction, expression (meaning making) #educon 4. http://www.ucls.uchicago.edu/photo_album/1910s/images/35sand.jpg Yeah, but that was before NCLB 5. 6. Dunkin & Biddle, 1974 Good & Brophy, 1986 Resnick, 1987 Braddock & McPartland, 1993 Garcia, 1993 Knap et al., 1995 Newmann, Marks & Gamoran, 1995 Geier, R, Blumenfeld, P.C., Marx, R.W., Krakcik, J.S., Fishman, B. Soloway, E., Clay-Clayton, J., 2008 7. Image source: Flickr - oedipusphinx Ask:Questions Communicate:New Understandings Connect:To Others Create: Make MeaningInvestigate: Multiple Sources INQUIRY 8. Inquiry Continuum High Teacher Control Low Student Control LowTeacher Control High Student Control Structured Guided Open Ask Investigate Communicate Connect Create 9. Flickr: sevensixfive Image Source: Flickr - sevensixfive Participating in Inquiry 10.
- How do we read and comprehend information on the Internet?
- How do we help students learn the necessary skills?
11. Different Activities 12. Different Texts 13. Different for the Reader
- Internet vs. linear
- Easy to access global
- Information galore
- Reader control with hypertext
- students must develop learning strategies to enable them to make the most intelligent choices and decisions about information they encounter
14. Necessary Skills/Strategies
- Compiled from IRA, Corio, Leu et al, Bitner & Bitner
- Stay focused on question or problem
- Know how to search effectively
- Knowledge of the Internet
- Critical, selective, intelligent consumers
- 6 key areas - understanding, relevancy, accuracy, reliability, bias, and stance
- Synthesize information
- Oldies but goodies
15. Image Source: Flickr Jacob Botter Brainstorm Inquiry Questions @ http://invitation2inquiry.wikispaces.com/ 16. Invitation to Inquiry Eric Brunsell (@brunsell) firstname.lastname@example.orgElizabeth Alderton (@aldertonuwo) [email_address] Lucky Mason (@lmasonwms) [email_address] University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh