Introduction to smartphones
Embed Size (px)
An introduction to
Transcript of Introduction to smartphones
- INTRODUCTION TO SMARTPHONES MERCURIAL MINDS
- THE STORY STARS The first mobile call was placed in 1983 Mobile phones evolved in 1994, which combined telephone & operating systems together The term SmartPhone however didnt appeared until 1997. 7 in 10 people in UK now own a Smart Phone. There are 6.8 billion people on earth, only 3.5 billion owns a truth brush, 4 billion of them use mobile phone.
- SMARTPHONE 1. A smartphone, or smart phone, is a mobile phone with more advanced computing capability and connectivity than basic feature phones. 2. Early smartphones typically combined the features of a mobile phone with those of another popular consumer device, such as a personal digital assistant(PDA), a media player, a digital camera, or a GPS navigation unit. Modern smartphones include all of those features plus the features of a touchscreencomputer, including web browsing, Wi-Fi, and 3rd- party apps and accessories. 3. Currently, about 90% of handset sales worldwide are for devices powered by Google's Android and Apple's iOS mobile operating systems.
- ANDROID Android is an open-source platform founded in October 2003 by Andy Rubin and backed by Google, along with major hardware and software developers (such as Intel, HTC, ARM, Motorola and Samsung) that form the Open Handset Alliance. In October 2008,HTC released the HTC Dream, the first phone to use Android. The software suite included on the phone consists of integration with Google's proprietary applications, such as Maps, Calendar, and Gmail, and a full HTML web browser. Android supports the execution of native applications and third-party apps which are available via Google Play, which launched in October 2008 as Android Market. By Q4 2010, Android became the best-selling smartphone platform.
- IOS In 2007, Apple Inc. introduced the iPhone, one of the first mobile phones to use a multi-touch interface. The iPhone was notable for its use of a large touchscreen for direct finger input as its main means of interaction, instead of a stylus, keyboard, or keypad as typical for smartphones at the time. July 2008, Apple introduced its second generation iPhone with a much lower list price and 3G support. Simultaneously, they introduced the App Store, which allowed any iPhone to install third-party native applications. 2008 Featuring over 500 applications at launch, the App Store eventually achieved 1 billion downloads in the first year, 2011 & reached15 billion by 2011
- APP [ap] an application, typically a small, specialized program downloaded on to mobile devices: the best GPS apps for your iPhone. A mobile app, short for mobile application, or just app, is application software designed to run on smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices.
- APP - DEFINITION An App is short for "application". Application in this case refers to a software application - in other words, a software program But an app is not just any old software program - it's special type of software program. An app typically refers to software used on a smartphone or mobile device such as Android, iPhone, Blackberry or iPad, as in 'mobile app' or 'iphone app'. Most organization have an App to support their website offering more features, such as; news, offers, vouchers and locations services that are easy to use.
- APP The term "app" is a shortening of the term "application software". 2010 - Become very popular & was listed as "Word of the Year" by the American Dialect Society. In 2009, technology columnist David Pogue said that newer smartphones could be nicknamed "app phones" to distinguish them from earlier less-sophisticated smartphones
- APP Apps are usually available through application distribution platforms, which began appearing in 2008 and are typically operated by the owner of the mobile operating system, such as the Apple App Store, Google Play,Windows Phone Store, and BlackBerry App World. Some apps are free, while others must be bought. Usually, they are downloaded from the platform to a target device, such as an iPhone, BlackBerry, Android phone orWindows Phone, but sometimes they can be downloaded to laptops or desktop computers.
- APPS - BENEFITS Apps are simple and easy to use & download You can download an app whilst on the go There are Apps available in every market from Town Councils to Premier League Football clubs Keeping in touch with social media, FB, Twitter, Instagram ... Keep up to date with a brand/company with offers, news, new products Search for local information and events by utalising the phone GPS
- APP - HISTORY Mobile apps were originally offered for general productivity and information retrieval, including email, calendar, contacts, and stock market and weather information. However, public demand and the availability of developer tools drove rapid expansion into other categories, such as mobile games, factory automation, GPS and location-based services, banking, order-tracking, ticket purchases and recently mobile medical apps. The explosion in number and variety of apps made discovery a challenge, which in turn led to the creation of a wide range of review, recommendation, and curation sources, including blogs, magazines, and dedicated online app-discovery services.
- APP - USAGE May 2012 comScoreStudy : App 51.1% Web 49.8% Usage of mobile apps strongly correlates with user context and depends on user's location and time of the day. 2013 Gartner : 102 billion apps will be downloaded, 91% of them FREE, but they will still generate US$26 billion, up 44.4% on 2012's US$18 billion. An analyst report estimates that the app economy creates revenues of more than 10 billion per year within the European Union, while over 529,000 jobs have been created in 28 EU states due to the growth of the app market.
- APPLE APP STORE Apple's App Store for iOS was the first app distribution service, which set the standard for app distribution services and continues to do so, opened on July 10, 2008, and as of January 2011, reported over 10 billion downloads. June 6, 2011, there are 425,000 third-party apps available, which are downloaded by 200 million iOS users. Apple's 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that the App Store has 650,000 available apps to download as well as "an astounding 30 billion apps" downloaded from the app store until that date. From an alternative perspective, figures seen in July 2013 by the BBC from tracking service Adeven indicate over two-thirds of apps in the store are "zombies", barely ever installed by consumers
- GOOGLE PLAY Google Play (formerly known as the Android Market) is an international online software store developed by Google for Android devices. October 2008 - Opening. April 2013, there were approximately 850,000 apps available for Android, and the estimated number of applications downloaded from Google Play was 40 billion. Android Apps can also run on BlackBerry 10 devices.