Intro powerpoint bradbury
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Intro powerpoint bradbury
- 1. Introduction toFahrenheit 451
- 2. Ray Bradburys Life
Born in 1920: wrote during 40s-50s-60s
- 3. Ray Bradburys Life
Died last year
- 4. At age 12 wrote sequels to science fiction storiesfor fun
- 5. At age 15,:
submits stories to Saturday Evening Post
Rockwell also published here (well see him later)
- 6. During WWII
for the Red Cross
- 7. Bradbury paid
-$0.10 per page to write F451
Thus literally a dime novel
- 8. SCIENCE FICTION
- 9. Based on real science but
Has imaginary/made up elements
- 10. Usually set in the future
- 11. Often has non-human characters
Robots, aliens, creatures
- 12. SCIENCE FICTION
- 13. Asks the question: What if?
- 14. Takes what we know about Science and life, and extrapolates
- 15. Fahrenheit 451 the novel
- 16. Science fiction novel with MANY themes.
Fahrenheit 451 - the novel
- 17. Anti-utopia:DYSTOPIA(how do we make paradise)?
By making it, we make: Opposite of paradise -> DYSTOPIA
- 18. SETTING of the novel:After WWII ends
The atomic bomb has been dropped
- 19. Literary Terms for this novel
Symbol: a concrete object that stands for an abstract idea
Point of View: 1st, 3rd limited, 3rd omniscient
- 20. HOW DOES HISTORY AFFECT THE MESSAGE?
- 21. When the novel was written
Hitler just defeated,
He burned books during the war
- 22. Soviet Union also banned and burned books
- 23. 1949: Communist China comes to power
They also burned books
- 24. In 1945, there were probably fewer than 10,000 TVsets in the country.
- 25. By 1950:
- 26. About
- 27. It was the newest technology
- 28. Sound familiar?
- 29. THIS BOOK HAS MULTIPLE
- 30. Communication?
- 31. There is also the motif ofTIME
- 32. THE NEXT SLIDE IS ART DONE BY NORMAN ROCKWELL AT ABOUT THE SAME TIME BRADBURY WAS WRITING F451. WHAT PATTERNS DO YOU SEE?