Embed Size (px)
U of R powerpoint presentation about internship
Transcript of Internship Epa
- 1. My Internship With the EPA
- 2. The EPA
- Region 3 Mid- Atlantic- responsible within the states of Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
- Office in Philadelphia
- 3. Water!
- Water Department
- Administers programs authorized by the Clean Water Act and the Safe Drinking Water Act
- I was in the Water Protection Division (WPD)
- 4. What I Did
- Worked on the Integrated Watershed Strategy and Targeted Watershed Programs
- Attended seminars on wetland delineation
- Attended a meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Hydric Soils Committee
- Helped Organize the 9 th Annual Wetlands and Watershed Workshop
- Attended a Grasses, Sedges and Rushes Identification class
- 5. R3 Integrated Watershed Strategy (IWS) Vision Statement
- Strategic alignment and implementation of cross-programmatic activities on a watershed basis to accelerate results, improve efficiencies and account for environmental improvements.
- 6. February 20 05 March 20 05 May July 20 05 July September 2005 October December 2005 February April 2006 April June 2006 June July 2006 1 st Team Meeting Track Division Activity Name Group Team Mtgs Idd Name Activities Barriers Timeline for Development of Integrated Watershed Strategy MAC Briefing Team Mtgs Idd Programmatic Indicators Assessed Data Gaps Inventorie d Existing Data Sets Team Mtgs Developed WPRI from Programmatic Indicators Team Mtgs Identified ReVA & Combined Programmatic Indicators Write IWS & Brief WPD & EAID Management Finish Draft IWS & Focus on Target Watershed (Where I come in)
- Watershed Protection Resource Index (WPRI)
- The universal tool developed
- Next Step: Targeted Watershed Program
- Select a watershed to use as an example
- The Monocacy Watershed
- 8. WPRI Receptor or Resource Indicators Air Human Health Water 8 or 12 Digit HUCs Public Water Intakes Land Percent Forest Habitat - Interior Proportion of Stream with Riparian Forest Percent Wetlands Toxics N/A Demographics Percent of Population with Low Income Percent Population 65+ Percent of Population Under 5 Plant/Animal Species Native Aquatic Species Abundance Native Terrestrial Species Abundance Threatened & Endangered Aquatic Species Threatened & Endangered Terrestrial Species
- 9. WPRI Stressor Indicators Air Ozone Design Value PM 2.5 Design Value Nitrogen Deposition Sulfur Deposition Water Total Nitrogen in Streams Total Phosphorous in Streams 303d Stream Miles Nitrate in Groundwater Land Ag on Steep Slopes Proportion Ag/Urban Land Cover Road Crossings per Stream Length Toxics TRI Pre-1979 Housing Demographics Population Growth Population Density Plant/Animal Species Exotic Aquatic Species Exotic Terrestrial Species
- 10. Ranked Watershed Groupings Stressors Resources High Quality Low Threat (HL) Degraded Restorable (DR) Highly Impacted (HI) High Quality High Vulnerability (HH) 4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1 High High Low
- 11. WPRI Regional Watershed Assessment Results
- 13. What EPA programs can work here? WPD - Non Point Source Program, EAID - Wetlands, HSCD - Remedial
- 14. Wetland Delineation
- The 1987 Army Corps of Engineers Manual
- Hydrophytic Vegetation
- Hydric Soils
- Got Food Poisioning during the 2 nd day
- 15. Mid-Atlantic Hydric Soils Committee
- Members work together to pursue and identify important research needs and to establish a collection of information to better identify hydric soils in the field.
- Main Focus: Regionalization of the 87 Manual
- Too Old/South-east Bias
- 16. 9th Annual Wetlands and Watershed Workshop
- Atlantic City, NJ
- Monday October 23 rd -Thursday the 26 th
- Main Topics:
- Wetland Restoration and Creation: Innovative Technologies
- Design and Effects on Hydrology and Plant Diversity in Aquatic Environments
- Discussion of the Implications of the Recent Supreme Court Decision
- 17. Conclusion
- I learned a lot.
- Bureaucracies can be very frustrating
- Overall, it was interesting to see the current in the policy side of things, while also doing some work in the field.
- The Supreme Court decision also added something extra.