International SEO - Be Wizard 2011
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of International SEO - Be Wizard 2011
International SEO:The Challenges Facing
International BrandsHannah Smith
About Me Slide Will Go Here...
• Lead SEO at Distilled
• 11 years in marketing• 5 years – retail marketing (POS / Sales Promo)• 3 years – direct response (press / direct mail /
sponsorship)• 3 years online – (SEO, PPC, CRO)
Email: [email protected]: @hannah_bo_bannaLinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/hannahsmith
What I’ll Be Covering
• What is the challenge?• TLD / Sub Folder / Sub Domain• Branding considerations • Ranking Factors for International SEO
Image credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/umisef/586964512/sizes/m/
Good rankings in one country don’t
necessarily ‘translate’ - even
if there’s no language barrier...
French Results (France)
French Results (Canada)
A ‘good’ result for the USA; is not necessarily a ‘good’
result for the UK & vice versa:• BestBuy – top USA result• Don’t ship to the UK• All prices in $
• Play – top UK result• Don’t ship to the USA• All prices in £
This is true of all markets...
So how do you get a site to rank in other countries?
GeotargetingGeo-target via:• Country Code TLD - www.yourdomain.itOr• Generic TLD - www.yourdomain.com
Plus• Sub Folder www.yourdomain.com/uk
• Sub Domainwww.uk.yourdomain.com• You can also geo-target sub-folders / sub domains
and submit country / language specific sitemaps in in Google Webmaster Tools see - http://www.seo-chicks.com/1463/geotargeting-on-the-same-domain-using-xml-sitemaps.html
Is your brand internationally recognised?
Does your brand ‘translate’?
Assicurazione.itImage cedit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtrichardson/4626549119/sizes/z/
Pros & Cons – ccTLD – www.yourdomain.it
Pros• Strongest geo-targeting signal
Cons• New site with no strength so it may not
rank at all• You’ll need to put in some serious link
building effort• Can be difficult to purchase ccTLD
Pros & Cons – Sub Folderwww.yourdomain.com/uk
Pros• Domain strength is passed to sub-
folders• A single site will normally be stronger
Cons• Likely problems with the ‘wrong’
content ranking e.g. yourdomain.com ranking in the UK rather than yourdomain.com/uk
Pros & Cons – Sub Domainwww.uk.yourdomain.com
Pros• There aren’t any...
Cons• Little or no strength passed from the
domain• Likely problems with the ‘wrong’
content ranking e.g. yourdomain.com ranking in the UK rather than uk.yourdomain.com
Which Approach is Right for you?
If your brand ‘translates’ and/or is internationally
recognised either:• ccTLDOr• Sub Folder
If your brand does not ‘translate’ you may be better
off with a new trading name and an associated ccTLD
ccTLD vs Sub Folder
ccTLD• Large brands which will generate links
naturallyAnd... • Brands with local teams / time /
resource etc to build linksSub Folder• Where ccTLDs are unavailable• Where there’s a lack of local teams /
time / resource
Don’t forget countries with multiple languages!
ccTLD solution:• www.yourdomain.ca/en• www.yourdomain.ca/fr
Sub folder solution:• www.yourdomain.com/ca/en• www.yourdomain.com/ca/fr
Other Ranking Factors for International SEO
• Local Links • Language• Physical Address / Telephone Numbers /
How to get Local Links...
• If possible, get a local to build links for you
• Find local link targets with commands like ‘business blogs site:co.uk’
• Local directories• Local partnerships• Local customers• Local news• Local sponsorships• Local events
• Beware of cheap translation services• Language usage is different from country
to country e.g. US v UK; Canada v France etc
• Create language specific content for each country – don’t be tempted to replicate
More Local ‘Signals’
Make sure you’re sending the right signals to the
Include local:• Addresses • Telephone numbers • Currency
• If possible – host in your target countryOr• Cache a copy of your website at a proxy
NB – not likely to make a massive difference, but
it may tip the balance in your favour...
Further reading: http://seogadget.co.uk/proxy-caching-for-seo/
When the Search Engines Get it Wrong...
Unfortunately the search engines won’t always serve
the correct content (you can check this in Analytics)
• You can use an IP redirect to serve the correct content
BUT!• Search engines tend to come via a US IP • So, make sure they can crawl all of your
content in every language
To rank internationally you’ll need to:• Geotarget – use ccTLDs or Sub Folders
(NOT Sub Domains)• Split countries into multiple languages
if you need to• Build local links• Highlight other local signals – addresses /
phone / currency• Consider local or proxy local hosting