Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Interfaith Presentation
- 1. Orthodox Christian background A derivation of Christianity. Follows the bible. Orthodox church separated in 11th century after centuries of disagreement Eastern orthodox Western orthodox 225 million orthodox Christian around the world Greece Cyprus Turkey Moldova Russia Romania
- 2. Traditions A wedding normally takes place during the morning hours The Bride and Groom fast prior to the ceremony. On the wedding day, the Bride and Groom approach the confessional and Holy Communion in order that they cleanse themselves of all sin and come pure before the marriage altar. Orthodox church members receive communion on the Sunday before the marriage ceremony. The Bride wears a veil during the wedding service and during the reception that follows. 1. The Betrothal 2. The Crowning 3. The Scripture Readings 4. The Joining of Hands and Procession 5. The Final Blessing
- 3. Beliefs Believe in: God the Father Jesus Christ Holy Spirit. God as Creator of heaven and earth
- 4. Rules The Groomsmen, or best man, must be of Orthodox faith. Other witnesses, ushers and Bridesmaids may be non- Orthodox The Orthodox church allows interfaith marriages, if the non orthodox partner converts. If the non orthodox partner doesnt convert then the ceremony cannot be held in an Orthodox church.
- 5. Can an Orthodox Christian man marry a Muslim women? Challenges : Cannot be married in a Orthodox Church Or someone has to convert religion Becomes more difficult to baptize children, but possible Consequences: Lose of Sacramental Privileges Remain in bad standing with Orthodox Church Disownment from family and friends Muslim women are banned from marrying outside their religion
- 6. References http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-ceremony/articles/muslim-wedding- ceremony-rituals.aspx?MsdVisit=1 http://english.islammessage.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?articleId=654 http://www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/marriage/interfaith/marrynonchristians/conchal http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/how-christians-and-muslims-can-marry--the- official-guide-8348954.html http://www.islamswomen.com/marriage/fiqh_of_marriage_8.php http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/denominations/orthodoxy.htm#sthash.K2LCLVro.dpuf http://www.antiochian.org/1123706696 http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-programs/articles/orthodox-christian- wedding-program.aspx?MsdVisit=1 http://www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/marriage/interfaith/general- readings/orthodoxchristiansintermarry