of 20 /20
September/October 2011 IMMIGRATION AND VISA ADVICE Sue Castle-Miller and Jo Aldhouse Visa and Immigration Advisers Student Information and Advisory Service Examination Schools Email [email protected]

Embed Size (px)


IMMIGRATION AND VISA ADVICE. Sue Castle-Miller and Jo Aldhouse Visa and Immigration Advisers Student Information and Advisory Service Examination Schools Email [email protected] Immigration and Visa Advice. - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • September/October 2011IMMIGRATION AND VISA ADVICESue Castle-Miller and Jo Aldhouse Visa and Immigration Advisers Student Information and Advisory Service Examination Schools

    Email [email protected]

  • September/October 2011 Immigration and Visa AdviceVisit our website

    Email us with your visa questions

    Come to our presentations

    Use our batch scheme for student applications

    Meet to discuss completed application forms

  • Immigration and Visa AdviceInformation and advice on:student visas (here and home country)visa conditions and responsibilitiesproblems with your visaworking during your studiesfamily student dependant visasstudent visitor visas non-student visas travelling/returning to the UKfinding an immigration lawyer

    Today: a quick look at some visa points you need to check or know right from the start

    September/October 2011

  • If you still have a student visa issued for a course at a different university: Visa applied for before 31 March 2009 (pre Tier 4): OK to enrol and start; apply for extension before expiry date

    Tier 4 visa applied for before 5 October 2009: apply now for a new Tier 4 visa or for Permission to Switch. OK to enrol and start course before decision on either application

    Tier 4 visa applied for on or after 5 October 2009: apply now for a new Tier 4 visa. OK to enrol and start course before decision on application Collect handout: Changing Education Provider from our stand; email us if you need helpSeptember/October 2011

  • Check your visa expiry dateCheck you have been given the correct amount of time:

    course length over six months but less than 12 months: visa expiry date should be course end date (as stated on CAS) + 2 monthscourse length 12 months or longervisa expiry date should be course end date (as stated on CAS) + 4 monthscould be shorter if you have certain types of financial sponsorship

    If you havent been given enough time, email us

    September/October 2011

  • UED4UGNF1This is the Universitys Tier 4 Sponsor Number

    If you applied for your visa before you travelled, with a CAS from the University, this number should be on your visa

    If you have a Biometric Residence Permit (because you applied for your Tier 4 visa in the UK) your BRP should have either this number or your CAS number

    If it is incorrect or missing, please email us

    September/October 2011

  • September/October 2011Registration with the PoliceSome nationals need to register with the police (will be written on your visa in your passport or BRP card)Register within seven days at police station in St Aldates (near main post office in Oxford, near Christ Church); take with you: - the form (available from our stand) - one passport photo - enrolment certificate (print out from Student Self Service) - 34 fee(exact amount in cash)Report to police if you extend your visa, change address, name etc. to get certificate updated (free of charge)Do not ignore this legal requirement!

  • Why is my college asking for my passport/Biometric Residence Permit/visa to scan?The University, as a Tier 4 Licensed Sponsor, has a duty to keep a record of the passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permit of all Tier 4 students. For most students, colleges carry out this duty. Please take your passport containing your visa (and BRP if applicable) to college when you enrol, and again if you renew your passport or get a new visaPlease keep your details up to date on Student Self ServiceSeptember/October 2011

  • The Universitys reporting dutiesIf you have a Tier 4 student visa, the University must tell UKBA if you:

    Do not enrolSuspend, withdraw from or defer your studiesLeave your course earlyAre no longer sponsored by the University Breach your immigration conditionsAre absent for a long time and the University does not know why Communicate with yourDepartment and College! September/October 2011

  • September/October 2011Study at the institution which gave you the CAS for your visaKnow your visa expiry date and do not let yourself become an overstayer. You will not get a reminder. Nobody is entitled to remain beyond their visa expiry date Keep to work restrictionsRegister with the police if required

    Consequences of breach of conditions: criminal offence, possible removal, Entry Clearance barDifficulties getting new visaTake care to keep to the conditions of your visa

  • Further information on Tier 4 duties and responsibilitiesIn your Welcome Pack, you will find a sheet called


    September/October 2011

  • September/October 2011 Extending your Student Visa in the UK

    Full information about process, including links to current application form and notes about the supporting documents visit:

    By postStudent Batch scheme:

    operated by the UK Border Agencywe post your application for youquicker and safer than posting yourselfmust make an appointment with us via email

  • Extending your Student Visa in the UKIn person (but more expensive!)At a UKBA Public Enquiry Office

    make an appointment through UKBA

    passport returned same day

    BRP card usually issued within in several days


    September/October 2011

  • September/October 2011Working During Studies20 hours a week while you are studying

    Full time when you are on holidayNote DPhil students must only work full time during designated breaks as authorised by supervisor

    All students can work for 4 months upon completion of ALL studies with a valid student visa

    You cannot work full time during any period when you should be studying (including research and writing up)

  • Working During StudiesPermission to work also includes work placements (with conditions)

    Self-employment, engaging in business or filling a permanent full time vacancy is not allowed

    National Insurance Number see pamphlet Oxford Essentials page 10 under Work

    All UK employment legislation applies and you must pay UK tax : threshold currently 7,475 pa (2011/12)

    September/October 2011

  • September/October 2011Family membersSpouse, unmarried partner, civil partner, children under

    Allowed to join you during your studies as your dependants as long you are a graduate student on a course lasting longer than 12 months

    No work restriction if student visa is valid for longer than 12 months

    No provision for children over 18(although can remain at 18 and extend if already in UK as a dependant)

  • September/October 2011Visas to stay in the UK to workInformation about existing employment visas and new schemes available on website

    We can advise on current schemes and look at applications

    Workshops - advertised on website

    Tier 2 visas obtained by employer we can give general information

  • September/October 2011Visa is for study at Oxford(check Tier 4 sponsor licence number)

    Date your visa expires

    Length of visa

    Work conditions

    Whether you need to register with the Police

    Important to check

  • September/October 2011To do list Take a copy/scan your visa and passport identity page

    Register with the police (if required to do so)

    Be aware of your responsibilities

    Keep your College/Department informed

    Read all the information currently available and keep up to date by visiting websites regularly

    Make a note 2 months before visa expires and start extension process if necessary

    Attend presentations and workshops


  • September/October 2011

    Immigration and Visa Advice

    For further information contact:

    Student Information and Advisory Service

    Email: [email protected]

  • September/October 2011

    Please visit Sue and Jo at theVisa and Immigration standin the North School1 5pm today