Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Horry county
- 1. Weapons of Mass Instruction:Every Learner, Digital Tools, Modern Learning Horry County Schools Adult Education TLC at the Beach, March 15, 2013 Milton Chen, Ph.D., Senior Fellow George Lucas Educational Foundation San Francisco Bay Area firstname.lastname@example.org 1
- 2. My Learning Journey:Longest Street in the World to aGalaxy Long Ago & Far, Far Away
- 3. 4
- 4. Imagine an Education NationA learning society where education ofchildren is the highest priority, on parwith a strong economy, highemployment, and national security.A nation is only as good as itseducational system.
- 5. The U.S. an Education Nation? Of 50 1st-grade students behind in reading, 44 still behind in 4th-grade A HS student drops out every 26 seconds, 6,000 each day (Tough Choices or Tough Times, 2006) CA students 1 year behind U. S. average, 2-3 years behind best states (NAEP 2007, 8th-gr. math) Closing the gap could contribute $2 trillion per year in GDP (McKinsey & Co., 2010)
- 6. Americas Strength:School/Community PartnershipsA ladder of learning from pre-K throughgray blending formal and informallearning through schools, universities,media, museums, libraries, companies,churches, youth groups, parksA New Day for Learning: 24/7/365
- 7. Innovation: The Key to an Education Nation A Must Do, Not Just Nice to Know Internet Time: Google 15 Years Old, YouTube 8 Years Every 30 seconds, 24 Hours of New YouTube Video
- 8. Education Innovation = Authentic LearningSchool Life = Real Lifethe great waste comes from [the childs]inability to utilize the experiences he getsoutside the schoolwithin the schoolon the other hand, he is unable to apply in dailylife what he is learning at school.John Dewey, The School and Society lecture,University of Chicago, 1899
- 9. 6 Leading Edges of K-12 Innovation:Any Time, Any Place, Any Path, Any Pace1. Thinking2. Curriculum & Assessment3. Technology4. Time/Place5. Co-Teaching, inc. Parents!6. Youth
- 10. 1. The Thinking Edge: New Roles! 21st C. Job Description: End of Solo Practitioner, Rise of Team Collaborator Schools/Programs -> Learning Centers Teachers -> Mentors, Team Leaders Students -> Team Members, Scholars
- 11. Neuroscience & Cognitive Science:Howard Gardners Multiple Intelligences1. Verbal2. Logical/Mathematical3. Visual4. Musical5. Bodily/Kinesthetic6. Intrapersonal7. Interpersonal8. Naturalist
- 12. Maya Angelou Any book that helps a child forma habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
- 13. 6th & Greatest Edge: Todays Youth 95% of Stakeholders Digital Natives Carrying Change in their Pockets Generation YES: Students as TAs genyes.org Edutopias Digital Generation edutopia.org/digital-generation
- 14. edutopia.org/digital-generation
- 15. edutopia.org/digital-generation
- 16. 3rd Edge: Technology Weapons of Mass Instruction, 1:1 edutopia.org/maine-project-learning- schools-that-work iPod, iListen, iRead sites.google.com/a/eusd.org/eusd-iread/ Intelligent Text Online Learning edutopia.org/stw-online-learning- new-breakthroughs
- 17. Whats your definition of a great school? Make it short and measurable!
- 18. Do the studentsrun in at the same rate they run out?