Hiring for Startups (by @DaveSchappell)
Embed Size (px)
Collection of best practices from 20+ years of recruiting and interviewing, and some other startup best practices
Transcript of Hiring for Startups (by @DaveSchappell)
- @DAVESCHAPPELL HIRING FOR STARTUPS 500 STARTUPS MAY 6, 2014
- WHAT? Primary: Recruiting/Interviewing Tips Secondary: Focus on Customer Be Great at 1 Thing Hire Slow(er)
- WHO AM I?
- HOW DO YOU BUILD A TEAM?
- READ: http://bitly.com/interview-neil oKnow what youre hiring for oKnow what youre going to ask oTake notes oHave an opinion & back it up
- WHAT MAKES A STARTUPS CULTURE?
- RECRUIT FOR YOUR CULTURE or
- NICE TO HAVES MUST HAVES Rails/Ruby Android 3 Years PM Passion Customer Focus Work Ethic Certain Skills
- BEHAVIORAL INTERVIEWING
- BEHAVIORAL QUESTIONS Give me an example of a time you: blew a customer away? (Customer Obsession) delivered a key project under deadline? (Deliver Results) improved a process of co-worker(Invent and Simplify) Dig: What did YOU do? How did you know it worked/didnt? What could you have done better? Or, did you, in future? Give me another
- FAVORITE OTHER AREAS Beginning What did you do to prepare for this interview? What are three ways we should improve our product, to blow away our customer? End 3 Adjectives people use to describe you Give examples of what youve done Give them time for questions Suster: No. Curiosity. No. Job.
- WHERE DO YOU FIND STARS? Friends/FOFss Referrals Past employers/ees Networking/parties Craigslist + Word of Mouth ABR (always be recruiting)
- OTHER TIPS/TRICKS Interview cheat sheet (txt file) Dont walk thru resume (lazy) Take lots of notes & type up interview Interview many candidates at once 4-6 interviewers (key employees, board) Assign areas of focus to interviewers Everyone log votes before you meet Schedule in-person debrief with everyone
- CHECK REFERENCES? Yes, eyes wide open Look for great Probe on anything where not raving Find a way to talk to non-references Read Mark Suster post: http://bitly.com/improve-startup-hiring
- ALL ELSE When to Sell the Candidate? Recruiters vs. in-House? Referral Program? Comp Levels
- 1-SLIDE MINI-TOPICS Customer conversations Be Great at One Thing Hiring too fast once funds raised
- WANT OTHER ADVICE? @DaveSchappell http://blog.nosnivelling.com Mentor sessions tomorrow AWS Activate benefits for 500Startups This presentation borrowed from: http://twitter.com/#!/neilr http://twitter.com/#!/msuster