HANDBOOK fOr iNterNAtiONAl excHANge stuDeNts 2015-2016 6# HANDBOOK fOr iNterNAtiONAl excHANge...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of HANDBOOK fOr iNterNAtiONAl excHANge stuDeNts 2015-2016 6# HANDBOOK fOr iNterNAtiONAl excHANge...
HANDBOOK fOr iNterNAtiONAl excHANge stuDeNts 2015-2016
2# HANDBOOK fOr iNterNAtiONAl excHANge stuDeNts 2015-2016
cONteNts Your time at uVic-ucc 3
the city of Vic 4
How to get to Vic 6
By plane 6
By train 7
By bus 7
starting out at uVic-ucc 9
The International Relations Unit 9
International academic coordinators – Academic information 10
University campuses 11
UVic-UCC facilities 14
The UVic-UCC Virtual Campus 17
The Moodle Platform (virtual classrooms) 18
Sharing accommodation with other students 19
Residence halls 20
Documentation and registration 22
Health insurance 23
embassies and consulates 27
languages at uVic-ucc 29
The language context 29
UVic language courses for international students 29
Language testing 31
The Language School 32
Language Services 33
An Exchange Experience - meet our international students 34
Welcome activities 35
Orientation Week Programme 37
useful websites 39
Note: All web page addresses were active in May 2015 but may have changed since then
As an international student at the University of Vic - Central University of Catalonia (UVIC- UCC) you will be one of many students arriving each year from all over the world.
At UVic-UCC we try to make sure all your needs as a foreign student are satisfied. Support is provided to you by the International Relations Unit and the international academic coordinators at each of the UVic-UCC faculties.
Our aim is to help you settle in as fast as possible – on and off campus. Information packages are distributed at the start of each new term to help you get acquainted with university services.
We will put you in touch with other exchange and UVic-UCC students, who will be among your first friends in Vic. Before setting out, you will receive an e-mail from your mentor, a UVic -UCC student that will help you in your first steps with us.
Catalan is the main UVic-UCC language of communication and is co-official with Spanish throughout Catalonia, so we strongly recommend that you register for the Catalan and Spanish language courses offered free at the University.
To make your time here more enjoyable, the International Relations Unit organises a series of activities throughout the year.
Enjoy your experience abroad!
YOur tiMe At uVic-ucc
4# HANDBOOK fOr iNterNAtiONAl excHANge stuDeNts 2015-2016
tHe citY Of Vic
Midway between the mountains of the Pyrenees and the Mediterranean Sea, seventy kilometres north of Barcelona, lies Vic, the main administrative, population and service centre for an area with 150,000 inhabitants.
Its colourful past, still evident in many streets and squares of its historic centre, is complemented by the thriving present-day diversity. Vic is rich in contrasts between tradition and modernity, the heritage of rural life and cutting edge technology, the peace of a small town and the gaiety of local festivals. Its wealth of museums, archives, historic monuments and associations of all kinds bear witness to the city’s civic, cultural and artistic activity. Economically, trade, industry and service sectors are all important.
As a market town, buyers come to Vic from far and wide. The town has a wide range of facilities, and administrative, health, educational and social services. As the main town of the Osona region, Vic is part of a network of administrative centres around Catalonia.
AVerAge cOst Of liViNg iN Vic
The average monthly cost of living is approximately €550. This can be broken down as follows:
• Shared flats: €150 - €250/room • Residence halls: €400 - €805/room • Food and drink: €160 - €240
• Tourist accommodation in Vic: http://tinyurl.com/victurisme • Vic Tourism Office Plaça del Pes - Edifici Ajuntament - 08500 Vic
Website: http://bit.ly/NEWgkr • Vic City Council: http://www.vic.cat/ • Vicjove (Vic City Council youth service): http://vicjove.blogspot.com.es/ • Shopping: Small shops are generally open from 10am to 1pm and from 5pm to 8pm, from Tuesday to Saturday, and closed all day Sunday and Monday morning.
• Post Office: Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 8.30pm. Saturday from 9.30am to 1pm. Rambla Hospital, 48 - 08552 Vic
http://tinyurl.com/victurisme http://bit.ly/NEWgkr http://www.vic.cat/ http://vicjove.blogspot.com.es/
6# HANDBOOK fOr iNterNAtiONAl excHANge stuDeNts 2015-2016
The closest airports are El Prat, near Barcelona (around 70km from Vic), and Girona Airport (around 60km away). For further information please check the AENA (Aeropuertos Españoles y Navegación Aérea) website:
From Girona Airport there is a bus service to Girona city centre. From there you can take the Eix Bus to Vic. Some buses on this route stop at the airport too. There are also coach services from Girona to Barcelona:
A train service runs every 30 minutes from Barcelona Airport to Barcelona-Sants, where you can take a connection to Vic (Line 3).
HOW tO get tO Vic
Line 3 train services operate from Sants and Plaça Catalunya stations in Barcelona to Vic, Ripoll, Puigcerdà and La Tour de Carol (all of which stop at Vic). Check the timetable at the RENFE Spanish railway web site:
· http://tinyurl.com/trains-barcelona · +34 902 240 202
Further information on Travelcards, etc., is available on the Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona website:
sagalés Coach service between Vic and Barcelona from Carrer Casp, 34 (near Plaça Catalunya)
· http://www.sagales.com · +34 902 130 014
eix Bus Coach service between Lleida and Girona with stops in Tàrrega, Cervera, Manresa and Vic
· +34 972 200 275
teisa Coach service between Olot and Vic
· http://www.teisa-bus.com/ · +34 972 204 868
http://tinyurl.com/trains-barcelona http://www.tmb.cat/ http://www.sagales.com http://www.teisa-bus.com/ http://www.teisa-bus.com/
8# HANDBOOK fOr iNterNAtiONAl excHANge stuDeNts 2015-2016
rOAD Access tO Vic
tHe iNterNAtiONAl relAtiONs uNit
On arrival at UVic-UCC, you should contact the International Relations Unit. There we will give you all the non-academic information related to your stay: the Handbook for the international exchange students, which includes information on accommodation, university services, required documentation, language context, welcome activities (Orientation Week), etc.
international relations unit staff:
· Vice-Rector for International Relations: Joan Masnou · Head of the International Relations Unit: Mercè prat - firstname.lastname@example.org · Anna Nòria (outgoing students) - email@example.com · gina Morcillo (incoming students) - firstname.lastname@example.org · ester serrat (exchange agreements and teaching/service staff mobility) - email@example.com
· Judit cabanas (office support) - firstname.lastname@example.org
stArtiNg Out At uVic-ucc
mailto:email@example.com mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org mailto:email@example.com
10# HANDBOOK fOr iNterNAtiONAl excHANge stuDeNts 2015-2016
iNterNAtiONAl AcADeMic cOOrDiNAtOrs AcADeMic iNfOrMAtiON
Your international academic coordinator will explain to you all about course registration and other procedures for your studies at UVic-UCC. For information on subjects, academic calendar (start and end of classes), European credits, Learning Agreement, etc., please contact your international academic coordinator directly.
· Application procedure, documentation and deadlines: http://www.uvic.cat/en/node/1073
· Most degree subjects at UVic-UCC have instruction in Catalan, and you are welcome to register for these, but there are also subjects in other languages, which are of special interest to international students. You can check the availability of UVic-UCC subjects for international exchange students at: http://www.uvic.cat/en/cis
· Faculty of Business and Communication Studies (FEC) pere Morera: firstname.lastname@example.org +34 938 816 169
· Faculty of Education, Translation and Humanities (FETCH) Mariano pasarello: email@example.com +34 938 816 164
· Faculty of Sciences and Technology (U Science Tech) sarah Khan: firstname.lastname@example.org +34 938 815 519
· Faculty of Health Sciences and Welfare (FCSB) Montse romero: email@example.com +34 938 816 025
http://www.uvic.cat/en/node/1073 http://www.uvic.cat/en/cis mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org mailto:email@example.com
CAMPUS DE MIRAMARGE
CAMPUS ZONA ESPORTIVA
CAMPUS CASA DE CONVALESCÈNCIA
CAMPUS PROFESSIONAL UVIC-UCC
TORRE DELS FRARES
EUMO EDITORIAL ESCOLA D’IDIOMES
CAMPUS TORRE DELS FRARES