Growth Hacking: 21 Actionable and Unique B2B SaaS Growth Hacks you can Test Today
Embed Size (px)
This is a guide to Growth Hacking for B2B SaaS and Web App companies. Created by noted SaaS Marketing expert and Growth Hacker Lincoln Murphy of Sixteen Ventures, this guide is full of actionable, unique, and thought-provoking Growth Hacks designed to get your brain moving in the right direction. From Orchestrated Virality (yes, in a B2B SaaS setting), to simple Copywriting changes you can make, to leveraging widgets in a more aggressive way, this guide will move you from amateur Growth Hacker to genius Growth Hacker. Growth Hacking is a way of thinking about all things growth-related. From viral expansion to user engagement, and from commercial intent to in-app conversion optimization, the sky's the limit when you approach growth with outside-the-box thinking. That's Growth Hacking.
Transcript of Growth Hacking: 21 Actionable and Unique B2B SaaS Growth Hacks you can Test Today
- Growth Hacking: 21 B2B SaaS Growth Hacks to Test Today A guide by SaaS Marketing expert and Growth Hacker Lincoln Murphy of Sixteen Ventures
- What is Growth Hacking? Growth Hacking is not tactics, techniques, or even strategies. More than anything, its a mindset of understanding customer and user behavior as well as market dynamics and whats technically possible or should be and using your imagination to make it happen. Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved.
- Growth Hacking Tactics vs. Marketing Strategy Whats included here are tactics and - while everyone loves tactics - if they dont make sense within your very well thought-out SaaS marketing strategy, you should probably not implement them, right? In fact, you should also probably make sure you have a well thought-out SaaS marketing strategy, too. Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved.
- Do these hacks work? Got examples or results? Some of these growth hacks Ive used and have seen a big impact others are just ideas I havent implemented yet but might if the occasion arises and some are just crazy ideas that I think would work if the situation is right. Im not gonna tell you which ones are which so use your imagination and a good bit of caution. Im also not going to show you live examples of what Ive implemented or give you results. You see, Ive helped my clients with these tactics and theyd like a little bit more time out in front of you. Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved.
- The Goal of this Presentation on Growth Hacking The goal is to get you thinking in the right direction, thats all. Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com
- Growth Hacking Presentation Source Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com This presentation is based on my epic SaaS Marketing: 21 Growth Hacks to Test Today post... you can nd a lot more detail on the techniques and ideas presented here: http://sixteenventures.com/saas-marketing-growth-hacks
- Growth Hack #1: Back Fill Data for Fun and Prot This is 2013 and data is more pervasive and easier to get than ever before. Why not auto-ll as much as possible for your customers surprise them with how easy things are for them to get going. Auto-ll and then let them correct/update/etc. Not doing this in this day and age is just lazy Example: A SaaS CRM that automatically adds demographic information to customers as theyre added. Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com
- Growth Hack #2: Dedicated Widget Landing Pages What if you thought real hard about how you could leverage that logic payload as the truly viral marketing scheme that it is? Well, rst you might treat it like an actual marketing campaign, meaning you would send people to a dedicated landing page from your widget. Tons of SaaS companies have widgets that their customers embed on their websites, and most of those have links back to their sites, right? Okay. Well, the problem is most companies just link back to their main marketing site. Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com
- Growth Hack #3: Powered By Ego! Im sorry, but powered by is just stupid its time to get a real Call to Action (CTA). Powered by is all about ego its all about you.. Make it about them. Maybe in 2003 Powered by was ne because technology was all ooh neato. but now its like WTF is in it for me? Seriously, even the grand-daddy of em all Hotmail, way back in 1996, had an actual CTA: Get your free email at Hotmail Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com
- Growth Hack #4: Aggressive Widgets IWhat if we really, really really used Widgets to our advantage!?!? What could we do. Well, how about instead of sending people who click on Powered by to a landing page (you wont do that, right? See #3), get em to sign-up or learn more right there in the widget. Maybe dont do this with your paying customers (or do I dunno), but if the idea behind all these people out there using your stuff for free is viral expansion and spreading the word, then its up to you to make that happen. Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com
- Growth Hack #5: Retargeting Widget? Maybe put a retargeting pixel in the widget. Too much? Okay, put it on the landing page or in the sign-up/more info screen in the widget (see #2 and #4 above) If they showed interest, dont let em go that easy! Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com
- Growth Hack #6: Thank You for Missing Opportunities We know that businesses that have a mailing list and let folks opt-in to that list often miss the opportunity presented by the thank you page. They dont generally customize this or use it for up- or cross-sells or to engage further. Unfortunately, the opportunity missing also happens with the Email Marketing companies themselves. Are you being aggressive enough on default Please Conrm pages and emails to ensure that the person signing-up for the list knows they can and should sign-up for your Email Marketing app? Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com
- Growth Hack #7: Tweetactional Messages? Due to GMails recent changes, something to test is taking their Email Address, nding their Twitter Handle (several ways to do this), and then tweeting transactional messages / reports to them as well as sending them an email. Of course, you could also ask them for their Twitter handle or get them to login via Twitter, too. Whatever. If youd like to be less aggressive, you could simply use Twitter to remind them to check their email because you sent them their weekly activity report! Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com
- Growth Hack #8: Help Them Help You If you push content to 3rd party sites lets say you make it super easy to share videos from your app via YouTube optimize that output to send trafc back to your site and to be found via search. Remember, Youtube is basically the 2nd largest search engine out there, but even more, since its a Google property, videos show up in Google search engine result pages (SERPs). So even if people arent searching directly on Youtube, they might be searching on Google, nd the video, see your URL in the description or annotation, click the link to hit your landing page, sign-up for your app, and pay you. Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com
- Growth Hack #9: Well Do it For You For a Fee After your users do a few things by hand, show em an offer to do it for them. Take FriendOrFollow for example, I can either click individual followers to unfollow them or I can subscribe to their service and unfollow everyone in one fell swoop. Once the user has unfollowed 25 people by hand, for example, remind them that they can easily and quickly unfollow everyone that doesnt follow them back with just ONE click for only $9.99! Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com
- Growth Hack #10: Break Stuff! If you gure out that most people that become paying customers have at least one interaction with your Customer Support team, it might make sense to get more people to interact with your support team, right? You could cause a problem that requires them to contact support. You can either let them contact support oryou can use that to reach out proactively and x the problem. It might help to do this after theyve reached a certain milestone or Common Conversion Activity (CCA) during the Free Trial. Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com
- Growth Hack #11: Orchestrated Virality If you think viral expansion has no place in B2B SaaS apps and they cant go viral thats ne. Disagreeing with me in this case doesnt hurt me, it hurts you. Need I point to super-successful companies like Box and Yammer that have proven that internal, highly-orchestrated virality is not just possible but the key to inltrating and locking-down Fortune 500 very B2B customers? Consider internal virality that can be orchestrated inside of companies (peer to peer, up and down the chain of command, etc.), between trading partners, from customer to vendor and vice versa, etc. Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com
- Growth Hack #12: Turn Negatives into Positives Tell your users and customers something in a positive way rather than your typical negative speak. Instead of 18 people unsubscribed from this campaign maybe say something like You had 82% subscriber retention on this campaign. Be nice to people. Copyright 2013 Lincoln Murphy. All Rights Reserved. http://sixteenventures.com