Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Greenhouses
- 1. GREENHOUSES
2. Why build a greenhouse?
- Organic food
- Reduces food miles
- Maximum sunlight.
- Morning sunlight allows the plant's food production process to begin early
- Deciduous trees, can effectively shade the greenhouse from the intense late afternoon summer sun; however, they should not shade the greenhouse in the morning.
- Deciduous trees also allow maximum exposure to the winter sun because they shed their leaves.
- Evergreen trees that have foliage year round should not be located where they will shade the greenhouse because they will block the less intense winter sun.
4. Type of greenhouse
- The final choice of the type of greenhouse will depend on the growing space desired, available sites, and costs. The greenhouse must, however, provide the correct environment for growing plants.
- Attached Greenhouses
- Lean-to . A lean-to greenhouse is a half greenhouse, split along the peak of the roof, or ridge line.
- An even-span is a full-size structure that has one gable end attached to another building
- Window-mounted . A window-mounted greenhouse can be attached on the south or east side of a house.
8. Freestanding Structures
- Freestanding greenhouses are separate structures; they can be set apart from other buildings to get more sun and can be made as large or small as desired.