Great wall of china
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Great wall of china
- 1. BY TEJ, SHUBHAM, JASHITH, ANUSHRI, ARYANGREATWALL OFCHINA !
- 2. The Great Wall ofChina: dynasties,dragons and warriorsbrought to life many ofthe fascinating storiesassociated with thewall over a period ofmore than 2,000 years.
- 3. Qin dynasty A first set of walls,designed to keep Mongolnomads out of China, werebuilt of earth and stones inwood frames during the QinDynasty (221-206 BCE).
- 4. Ming dynasty Some additions andmodifications weremade to these simplewalls over the nextmillennium but themajor construction ofthe "modern" wallsbegan in the MingDynasty (1388-1644CE).
- 5. The legend? Many arefamiliar with the claimthat the Great Wall ofChina is the only man-made object visible fromspace or from the moonwith the naked eye. Thisis simply not true
- 6. The Great Wall wasoriginally built over 2000years ago, around 221 BC.Most of the current GreatWall was built during theMing dynasty (between1368 and 1644.)
- 7. The Great Wall of Chinais approximately 6000kilometre long. Howeverif you were to measure allthe individual structuresand changes to the wallmade over the centuries,it is believed the finalmeasurement wouldtotal over 50000kilometres!
- 8. WinterSummerAutumnSpring
- 9. Today the Great Wall is the worlds largest heritagestructure and Chinas most famous symbol. Millions oflocal and international tourists visit sections of therestored Ming dynasty walls and wild walls outsideBeijing. The Great Wall, one of the greatest wonders of theworld, was listed as a World Heritage by UNESCO in1987. It is still one of the most appealing attractions allaround the world owing to its architectural grandeurand historical significance
- 10. The story of the Great Wall started about 2500 years ago. Rival kingdoms werebattling for control of much of the land now known as China. By 300 BCE.The Great Wall of China is a Chinese fortification built from 3rd century BCuntil the beginning of the 17th century, in order to protect the various dynastiesfrom raids by Mongol, Turkic, and other nomadic tribes coming from areas inmodern-day Mongolia and Manchuria.The Chinese built the Great Wall to prevent them from entering andconquering China. Originally made up of shorter walls between factions, thewall was fortified and lengthened under the emperor Qin Shi Huang beginningin 221 BC.The defenders could shoot arrows and cannon at enemies from the Great Wall,which was cleverly designed with small holes in the walls for defense and attackat the same time. Although the building of the architectural wonder sacrificedmany lives, it was still worth it in the end as the Mongols were mostly kept outof China.
- 11. The First Emperor, Qin Shihuang, cements his victoryby ordering his generals to lead campaigns against thenorthern nomads and to build a long wall, linking andextending earlier border walls. The first Great Wallbegins to take shape, snaking its way across northernChina.
- 12. The Great Wall runs from Jiayu Pass of GansuProvince in the west to the mouth of the Yaluriver in Liaonling Province in the east. It was built over many years. It is believed theoriginal Great Wall was built over a period ofapproximately 20 years. The Great Wall which ismainly in evidence today was actually builtduring the Ming dynasty, over a period of around200 years. From records it appears that 300,000 soldiersand 500,000 common people were involved inconstructing the original Great Wall underEmperor Qin.
- 13. It is believed that themain purpose of theGreat Wall was to protectChina from invasion orattack by northern tribes(such as the Mongols).