Grammar ( the present tense ) notes 9
Embed Size (px)
THE SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE
Transcript of Grammar ( the present tense ) notes 9
- 1. THE SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE
- 2. THE SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE IS USED TO STATE: HABITUAL ACTIONS Examples: I wake up at 7 a.m. every day. She usually goes to the market every Saturday. They sleep late every night. He always works late on Saturdays. The sun sets in the west.
- 3. For the simple present form. always add an s to the verb when the subject is singular except for l and you
- 4. To show that an action is done often or everyday Example I go to school every day. You drink milk every day. We have six meals a day. They take their baths in the mornings and evenings. He sleeps at ten every night. She drinks water every day. Ali eats fish every day. Boon Seng takes a bath every morning.
- 5. Examples: Ali He She comes It My friend home early every day I You come We They The boys Kasim and Dorai
- 6. The table shows how am, is and are used in he simple present tense: am is used with I Is is used with a singular subject are is used with a plural subject, except for you Examples: I am He She is ready to go to the library. Mary You We are They
- 7. Have and has are used to show possessions, in the simple present tense: has is used with a singular subject Examples: He She Mary has a hobby. Everyone Each of them
- 8. have is used with a plural subject except for I and youIYouWe have a hobby.TheyPeter and JaneAll of them
- 9. John has a motorcycle. He has a motorcycle. Mary has a radio. She has a radio. The tiger has sharp claws. I have a watch You have a car. We have furniture in our houses. They have books. The children have toys. Cats have tails.
- 10. Fill in the blanks with the correct words from the box. walk like likes is has have am wants write comes want are 1. I . to school every day. 2. Robin .. a hamster. 3. Shanti .. to wear saris. 4. I .. to read a storybook. 5. Do you.. to dance. 6. Sing Fatt .. to call his friend. 7. My father .. home from work at 6.00 p.m.
- 11. 8. You .. a big house. 9. I .. studying in Year 6. 10. These .. the pears I bought. 11. You .. with a pen. 12. She .. a good singer. 13. My neighbour .a new car. 14. I . a new friend in my class. 15. The bread vendor . to my village very early in the morning. 16. My teacher to tell us stories every day. 17. Rahim .. hardworking boy in my class. 18. The boys to win the competition.
- 12. Underline the correct words. 1. Halim ( cycles , cycle ) to his tuition class every day. 2. Leopards ( hunt, hunts) smaller animals for food. 3. Thunder always ( follow , follows ) lightning. 4. Please ( write, writes ) your name on the top right-hand corner of the answer sheet. 5. Jaspreet ( water, waters ) all the plants every evening. 6. Electricians( use, uses ) pliers to cut or bend wires. 7. Padi ( grow, grows ) well in Kedah Darul Aman.
- 13. 8. People in cold countries ( wear, wears ) thick clothings. 9. The jockeys ( ride, rides ) their horses very well. 10. We ( collect , collects ) donations for the poor. 11. The innuits ( live , lives ) in igloos. 12. The children ( prefer , prefers ) rambutan to apples. 13.Water ( drip , drips ) from the tap even when we turn it off. 14. They ( sell, sells ) cakes and cookies for a living.
- 14. 15. Malaysia ( export , exports ) palm oil to many countries.
- 15. Underline the correct words. 1. John ( walk , walks ) to the shop every day. 2. Soon Kit sometimes ( tell , tells ) us jokes. 3. Some of my neighbours ( plant, plants ) vegetables in their background. 4. They always ( say , says ) their prayers before they go to bed. 5. A turtle ( lay , lays ) its eggs on the sandy beach once a year. 6. Cows ( gives , give ) us fresh milk. 7. A bat ( sleep , sleeps ) up side down in the cave. 8. The gardener ( water , waters ) all the plants once a day.
- 16. 9. Rahim always ( talk, talks ) loudly in class. 10. She usually ( sleep , sleeps ) in the class. 11. My parents often ( take , takes) me to the zoo. 12. An eagle( eat , eats ) small animals. 13. Both Rekha and Kavita ( draw , draws) very well. 14. The farmer ( work , works ) very hard. 15. That fat man ( drink , drinks ) a lot of water. 16. The moon ( shines , shine ) at night. 17. The pupils ( like , likes ) playing hockey.
- 17. 18. Maniam ( sell, sells ) newspapers at his stall every morning. 19. Mr Yap ( open , opens ) his shop very early. 20. My parents ( listen , listens ) to the radio daily. 21. Salim ( ride , rides ) his new bicycle very fast. 22. That dog ( bark , barks ) at strangers everyday. 23. Frogs ( live , lives ) in water and on land. 24. The beautiful stars ( twinkle , twinkles ) in the sky at night.
- 18. Fill in the blanks with the simple present tense form of the words given in brackets 1. She .. at the Chinese restaurant. ( work ) 2. I .. music classes on Saturdays. ( attend) 3. Johan .. a glass of milk every night. ( drink ) 4. The boys often .. too loudly in the library. ( talk ) 5. My mother always .. me with my homework. ( help ) 6. We usually ..go bed around 10 oclock at night . ( sleep ) 7. Lisa .. to parties whenever she gets the chance. ( go )
- 19. 8. Rita .. on the piano every day. ( practice ) 9. Ali usually .. groceries from the supermarket. ( buy ) 10. Joseph .. his grandparents in ipoh once a month . ( visit ) 11. Maniam .. round the field in front of his house in the evenings. ( run ) 12. Sarah .. squash with her sister when she has the time .( play ) 13. The children chocolate ice-cream. ( love ) 14. They .. to the church every Sunday. ( go )
- 20. 15. Aunt Maria .. very good laksa. ( make ) 16. We normally .. vegetables from the pasar malam every Tuesday. ( buy ) 17. They .. that the judge was unfair. ( think ) 18. My brother always .. with me. ( argue ) 19. Jill and I often ..at the library. ( study ) 20. The girls .. about the meeting. ( know )
- 21. Underline the correct words. Zainal and his wife, Saliza, ..( wake , wakes ) up early every morning. Zainal then ..( go , goes ) to his farm. At the farm , he .. ( water , waters ) the vegetables. Meanwhile, Saliza ( stay , stays ) at home to prepare breakfast. When breakfast is ready, she ( take , takes ) it to her husband. They both ( eat , eats ) the food. Then they .. ( start , starts ) their work. Zainal .( pick , picks ) the vegetables while Saliza .. ( collect, collects ) eggs from the chicken coop. After that they .. ( bring , brings ) them to the market.
- 22. Choose the correct simple present tense form to fill in the blanks Leela .. ( like , likes ) to ride