Girls leading girls
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Girls leading girls
- 1. Girls Leading Girls In Science Belmont Abbey College Dr. Judith McDonald
2. Girls Leading Girls in Science
- 1992 Government Doc (Dept of ED) Nothing can stop us now
- 1996 AAUW Report How school shortchange girls
3. Girls Leading Girls in Science
- Decided our target group Title 1 5 thgrade girls
- Matched them with female STEM majors as mentors
- Mentors sent email messages
- Invited them to Belmont Abbey College
4. Girls Leading Girls in Science
- November 4, 2009
- 35 Girls and their teachers came
- Education students did lesson on conservation
- Toured the campus
- Attended college
- STEM class
5. Education Science Lesson
- Lead a hands on inquiry science lesson to the girls and their mentors
- Lesson on recycling using materials found in their trash at home and school
- Challenged students to lessen their carbon footprint.
Lesson was taught by education majors in their senior year prior to student teaching. 6. Tour Campus
- The girls and their mentors toured the campus.
7. Attend a college STEM class
- College algebra
- Cellular biology
- Physical science
- All girls attended a college STEM class with their mentor.
- Attended al luncheon with several women from the community who are in STEM careers
- Asked questions and learned about careers and what it takes to get there.
9. Local News Get in the news 10. Research
- Conduct research with the girls and the boys.
- Go into the classroom and have the students collect data and share with another group of students.