Galician gastronomic festivals
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Galician gastronomic festivals
- 1. GALICIAN FOOD FESTIVALS AND THEIR ECONOMIC REPERCUSSION
- Festivals of Tourist National Interest:
- Shellfish of O Grove
- Wine Albario of Cambados
- Octopus in Carballio
- Lamprey in Arbo
- Arnoia s pepper
- Festivals of Tourist Galician Interest:
- Lalin s stew
- Bandeira s pie in Silleda
- Galicia is known internationally as a gastronomic paradise. The quality and the variety of the productsremains demonstrated by more than 30 Galician products with DENOMINATION OF ORIGIN, some of them with Denomination of Origin Protected (DOP), so in order to show the qualities of the Galician products, many gastronomic festivals take place throughout the year. According to a study published in the book FESTASIN GALICIA, there are more than 8.000 annual festivals of which it 1.575 are gastronomic.
- Geographically the populations close to the seacelebrate festivals related to the productsof the sea, and almost always they are celebrated in summer . On the other hand, in the interior of Galicia, where the pork is king , they arecelebrated more in winter.
- We must not forget the excellent Galician wines withfive Denominations of Origin (Ribeiro, Valdeorras, You Laugh Baixas, Ribeira Sacra and Monterrei), and their festivals.
- Some travelers say they come to Galicia only for its gastronomy, so these festivals are used to promote tourism i in Galicia .
4. FESTIVALS DECLAREDOF TOURIST NATIONAL INTEREST 5. FESTIVAL OF THE SHELLFISH OF O GROVE
- During the second week of October, of O Grove (Pontevedra) celebrates its
- festival of the Shellfish. This gastronomic - cultural event emphasizes the basic products of the economy of this coastal village: tourism andfishing. What started as a small festivalbecame very popular at the end of theeighties in such a way that the party has been declared of Tourist National Interest. Different stallsselling seafood and fish are opened to the public at popular prices. It is obvious that this is one of the best shop windows of their products, since more than 200.000 visitorscame to O Grove in the last edition.
6. FESTIVAL OF CAMBADOS ALBARIO WINE
- It is the oldest wine festival in Galicia and the secondone in Spain and is declared of Tourist National Interest. Celebratedfrom 1952, this party brings every yearthousands of touristsfromall the corners of the peninsula. The grape albario has been improveduptothe creation of what today we know as D.O Ras Baixas,denomination of origin created in 1988, which a lot of winecellarsproduce. During the first week of August, the wine cellars ofalbarioopen to the public, where they offer their wines that canbeaccompanied of typically Galician tapas as GAlician pie oroctopus .THeNew Route of Wine of Ribeiro inCambados has beencertified. Withthiscertificate, the Regionof Ribeiro with its 52establishmentsis part of a select group of l 11routesofwine inSpain.
7. FESTIVAL OF THE OCTOPUS IN CARBALLIO
- The festival of Carballio's octopus is celebrated on the second sunday of August, in a Park inO Carballio, in the banks of the Arenteiro.
- Although the region of O Carballio does not have sea, it was a tradition to bring the dry octopus to Osera's monastery and there to use it as currencyto exchange it for inland products.This festival was declared of Tourist National Interest in 1992, and year after year beats records of attendance, up to70.000 visitors.
- Thisproduct is one of the oldest inGalician
- gastronomy and the fourth sector in importance
- in the Interior Brute Product of the region.
8. FESTIVAL OF THE LAMPREY IN ARBO
- Every January lamprey is allowed to be caught.
- In April, when the fishing season finishes, a party is
- celebrated in Arbo,by the river Mio. Hundreds of
- Enthusiastsof the lamprey have an appointment in
- Arbo,to celebrate this popular gastronomic festival
- that has come to its 48 th edition, so it is the oldest
- in Galicia. It was declared ofTourist National Interest.
- People can taste the speciality of lamprey
- to the "bordoesa", as well as other preparations at a reasonable price.
9. FESTIVAL OF ARNOIA'S PEPPER
- Declared Festival of Tourist Interest
- Manyfestivalsare celebrated in Arnoia's
- municipality, at least sixteen throughout the year. But
- The Festivalof the Pepper ", which had its first edition in the year 1980, is the most important.Arnoia's peppers are known in the whole ofGalicia and are used in many recipes.
- Todaythe production and marketing of the pepper in this region is very important for the local economy.Peppers are cooked in different waysfor visitors who come to this festival. After 23
- years of celebration, Arnoia's town hall
- consolidates " Festa do Pemento " as one of the
- important events of promotion of a gastronomic
- product of Galicia .
10. FESTIVALS DECLAREDOF TOURIST GALICIAN INTEREST 11. FESTIVAL OF LALN'S STEW
- The origins of the party go back to 1968.
- In 1999 it was declared
- of Tourist Interest of Galicia. This party is
- celebrated on the Sunday previous to the Carnival
- and is one of the first gastronomic parties of the
- year in Galicia and an event known abroad.
- Last year there were about 60.000
- visitors. In the Field of the Fair, they install places
- to taste, exhibit and sell
- their products(sausages, meat of pork
- and bull, vegetables ).
- The last edition had an innovation: the LALN PORK
- ART, an artistic exhibition of 25 figures of pigs.
12. FESTIVAL OF BANDEIRA'S PIE IN SILLEDA
- The Festival of the Pie has half a century of life.
- It consists of a contest of pies among restaurants and
- housewives, who compete with their own recipes.
- There is a presentation of the product, finalists'
- selection, degustation and evaluation by a jury.
- The party ends with the public auction of the recipes:
- on some occasions they pay important sums of
- money destined to charitable purposes. The prices reached by
- some of the winning pies can be more than 1.600
- The origin of the party is related
- to the pilgrims that were coming
- along the French Way to visit the
- tomb of the Apostle Santiago in the
- Cathedral of Santiago. The pie was
- givento them by the innkeepers
- on their way.
13. GALICIAN IS DIFFERENT
- COME TO DISCOVER IT