Future Proof Design and the Platform Design Canvas
Embed Size (px)
This presentation was given as an introduction of a workshop on the platform design canvas during the Barcelona Design Thinking Week at the Elisava Design and Engineering School. The objective of the canvas is to help people design Platforms and Ecosystems not only one shot, one feature, linear products. The canvas itself is derived by the Business Model Canvas of which it tries to overcome the limitations when applied in Platform Design. The Platform Design Canvas is currently in Live Edit here http://goo.gl/wz615 Context post: http://meedabyte.com/2013/06/26/the-platform-design-canvas-a-tool-for-business-design/
Transcript of Future Proof Design and the Platform Design Canvas
- Future Proof DesignIdeas to design Resilient, Enduring and Meaningful Businesses (&products) Simone Cicero meedabyte.com /@meedabyte Barcelona Design Thinking Week 13
- per capita needs global use/availability
- It is wholly a confusion of ideas to suppose that the economical use of resources is equivalent to a diminished consumption. The very contrary is the truth. William Stanley Jevons
- We could have expected
- A crisis is any event that is, or expected to lead to, an unstable and dangerous situation affecting an individual, group, community, or whole society. Crises are deemed to be negative changes in the security, economic, political, societal, or environmental affairs, especially when they occur abruptly, with little or no warning. More loosely, it is a term meaning 'a testing time' or an 'emergency event'.
- A clash of visions
- A clash of powers
- In a time when technologies have drastically reduced the efficient scale of production, capital, instead of adapting itself to this reality, has fled towards the opacity of securitization and large- scale short selling. David De Ugarte, Las Indias
- From Albert Canigueral, http://www.consumocolaborativo.com/
- A global discourse
- Last year the impacts of climate change, cost Unilever more than 200M. Even if you can ignore this, you cannot ignore the growth of social media, which will be ruthless to businesses that are judged to be making the world a worse place, not a better one. So many companies are waking up and realising that they can be inside the tent, shaping solutions, future-proofing their businesses, strengthening their ties with their existing consumers and reaching new ones. Paul Polman CEO Unilever
- Cant hide
- In fact, morality becomes their most powerful product, forging a lasting connection with constituents by out-behaving their competition. Tim Leberecht CMO Frog Design
- Once, you could even design stupid, inefficient, absurd products and succeed.
- Now you cant.
- Designing products for today
- is that complicated
- Apple launched the appstore making the phone a platform for use case innovation July 10, 2008
- No more monolithic products
- Modularity Customizability Hackability
- Make & Sell
- tools Facilitated Contexts/Channels
- DIY (and maybe sell)
- Nahia: a customizable bikini!
- Allow Peers to create for other Peers (that can make and sell)
- Peer producers
- A step further: the right to access
- not enough anymore
- INNOVATION: where to go?
- Community Centric User Centric
- no more just a fancy word to use at work
- We take to heart what our community thinks of us. Its a challenge to listen to the community and try to evolve with it. We learned a long time ago that although we cannot make everyone happy, we should listen to as many people as possible. Our job is to pick the best path to support that community. I can give you many examples where our gut told us one thing and the community pulled us in another, better direction. Nathan Seidle, Founder of Sparkfun
- the best path to support that community
- The art of creating software and building new things was starting to get celebrated at these hackathons, Where there was a hackathon, there was Twilio. Jeff Lawson, CEO/Cofounder of Twilio
- Letting the community drive
- Ok, but how?
- identify behaviors transactions relations
- spot new exchange markets social capital creation
- facilitate interaction and value exchange
- through channels
- A platform
- A platform grants freedoms to allow the peers add value. Peers perform exchanges and transactions. Channels are provided to facilitate.
- Use Case innovation happens at the peers level. The creation of new and improved channels is the mission of the platform stakeholders.
- Illustration by Simon Wardley - blog.gardeviance.org ILC Cycle
- Let us suppose you were a provider of utility computing infrastructure services and one of these new higher orders systems (e.g. big data systems built with hadoop) started to diffuse. you could detect this diffusion in close to real time and hence rapidly decide to commoditize any new activity in this case by introducing something like Amazon Elastic Map Reduce. Naturally, youd be accused of eating the ecosystem if you did this repeatedly but at the same time your new component services would help grow the ecosystem and create new higher order services. Simon Wardley, from http://blog.gardeviance.org/2013/01/ecosystems.html
- The more a player has direct access to the customer base, the more it could decide what to commoditize and iterate ILC cycles, staying ahead with new product offerings.
- Innovating the platform concerns: Commoditization vs Commonification
- Commons Centric Community Centric
- distributed capital means less interest in rents
- inherently open
- risks in competitive advantage
- shared innovation
- openness is a resilience strategy
- Sustainability is all about figuring out how to be in business forever, avoiding the temptation to overreach, to maximize near term profits at the expense of long term health. It is about adapting the business to changing market dynamics. It is about building a team and a culture that can survive and keep going. Fred Wilson, VC
- companies are communities
- Communities can be products
- Communities are companies
- Inside the company, though, we all take on the role that suits the work in front of us. Everyone is a designer. Everyone can question each others work. Anyone can recruit someone onto his or her project. Everyone has to function as a strategist, which really means fi