Embed Size (px)
Transcript of French revolution
- 1. The French Revolution
- Watch this short video and record the following:
- Causes of the French Revolution
- Pros and Cons of King Louis XIV
2. French Revolution
- What were some ofthe causes of the French Revolution?
- Angry people
- Lavish lifestyle
3. 4. Setting the Stage
- 1700s France is most advanced country in Europe
- Center of Enlightenment
- Large population
- Prosperous trade
- Often imitated
- Success was deceiving
5. Setting the Stage contd.
- Frances Deception
- Bad harvests
- High prices and taxes
- Locke, Rousseau, Voltaire raising questions
- France was divided into large social classes.
7. The Privileged Estates
- The First Estate
- Roman Catholic Clergy owned 10% of land
- Contributed 2% of income to government
- The Second Estate
- Rich Nobles
- Paid almost no taxes
- Only 2% of population owned 20% of the land
8. The Third Estate
- 97% of population
- Bourgeoisie/ middle class
- Bankers, factory owners, merchants, professionals
- Well educated, supported Enlightenment Ideas
- Some were rich, like Nobles
- Workers of Frances cities
- Trades people, apprentices, laborers, servants
- Extremely poor, often went hungry and jobless
- 80% of population
- Paid their income to King, Nobles and Church
9. 10. 11. Forces of Change
- Enlightenment Ideas
- Economic Troubles
- Weak Leader
12. Enlightenment Ideas
- Whos ideas may have helped to influence and move the French people towards revolution?
13. The American Revolution inspired the Third Estate to take action 14. Critical Thinking Questions
- Did Frances system of estates violate the principle of equality?
- Which group within the Third Estate would suffer most from the increase in the price of bread?
- Why do you think Louis chose to raise taxes on the nobility?