Equal pay for women
Embed Size (px)
equal pay for women
Transcript of Equal pay for women
- EQUAL PAY FORWOMEN DAVID LUCEY CCV HUMAN BEHAVIOR INTHE SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT KELLY STRUNK
- BEGINNING OFWOMEN INTHEWORK PLACE In the first decades of the 20th century, women made up 24% of the work force. Because of the labor shortage during World War II, women took to the work force then making up 37% of the work force.
- Cont.. Men realizing that women were usually paid less for the same job, they were afraid that because of this cheap labor, women would take their jobs and/or having their pay cut. At this point, unions started advocating for equal pay. Because of this, theWomans Pay Act was introduced in1945. By 1960, women again held 37% of the work force with earnings of 59cents on the dollar.
- . On June 10, 1963, the Equal Pay Act addressed gender wage differences. Fast forward to 1998.
- Lilly Ledbetter to the rescue! Lilly retired in 1998, she realized that her earnings had not kept up with male managers. When she retired she was earning $3727.00 a month. ($44724 a year), a vast difference from the lowest pay of males ($4286 per month/$51432 a year) and the highest pay of males ($5236 per month/$62832 a year), at this time, women earned 80 cents for every dollar paid to men. Once aware of this flagrant discrepancy, Lilly filed charges of pay discrimination.
- She argued that Goodyear paid her less because of her sex. To have a viable claim, each intentionally discriminatory salary decision have been filed 180 days after the fact. Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., Inc. made it all the way up to the Supreme Court where 5-4 said Goodyear was in the right. In 2009, because of the Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, employees now have 180 days from issuance of each paycheck tainted by alleged discrimination.
- Before this assignment, I had a very vague knowledge of Ledbetter v. Goodyear, and women were paid less than men, I didnt know just how much and this assignment gave a better understanding of inequality of pay. This policy is, in my opinion, important in social work because it helps the worker make sure they are being paid equally, which would bring the earnings up and more income taxes. I dont see that this assignment changed my mind about the direction I would take in human
- When I chose to do the policy research project, Im sad to say Im not up on any policy issues. I went to the White House website and chose this policy over others because Ive always thought that it was a crock and wanted to learn more cause maybe I can help someone someday. I didnt hit any snags doing this, theres a lot of information out there for the asking. What I may have done had I thought of it, was ask a social worker how this topic affects them and/or their clients, hind sight is 2020. No challenges doing this, but havent gotten to the web-site format yet.
- ~REFERENCES~ Bible, J (2007) LEDBETTERV. GOODYEARTIRE & RUBBER CO.:SUPREME COURT PLACES ROADBLOCK IN FRONT OFTITLEVII PAY DISCRIMINATION PLANINTIFFS. Labor Law Journal 58(3), 170-182 nps.gov/subjects/civilrights/1964-civil-rights