Dress for Success!
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Dress for Success!
* * 0
Why does our dress matter?
* * 0
* * 0Dress For Success! 1 Cor. 9:20-22 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
* * 0
* * 0I. Need to be Personable!Personable = having a pleasant appearance and manner (Oxford)When we speak of someone being personable we have in mind that they come across as a people person!If we hope to reach people with the Gospel of Christ, then we need to approach them in a personal way!We need to be willing to invest in them!They need to know that they are valuable!We need to treat them friendly!
* * 0People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care!There is a right & a wrong way to teach and preach to others!Eph 4:15, 16 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head--Christ-- from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.By this shall all men know that you are my disciples! (Jn. 13:34-35)
* * 0II. Need to be Passionate!Passionate = to be showing or causing passion; very strong emotions; having intense enthusiasm for something (Oxford)How many of us have often found ourselves, saying things & even doing things, but lacking passion when we do?What does having passion look like? Mt 9:36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd.
* * 0The Passion = self-giving sacrifice of Jesus!In 2004 a movie came out called The Passion/ of the ChristFor me this was a really hard movie to watch!It is one thing to read about what the last days of Jesus were like, but quite another to see them lived out and what it must have been like for Him!People are lost without Jesus, and Jesus came to save them! (Cf. Lk. 19:10)Let us also be moved with compassion!
* * 0III. Need to be Presentable!Presentable = clean, well dressed, or decent enough to be seen in public (Oxford)We can be sure that Jesus didnt dress as I am dressed today!How do you think His dress was in comparison, with the religious leaders of His day? Would they have considered Him under- dressed or over-dressed?Mt 23:5 All their actions are done to attract attention. They widen their phylacteries, and increase the size of their tassels,
* * 0Ones dress does play a role in how others see them!Tamar & Judah (Gen. 38:1-30) head covering was a sign of harlotry!The church at Corinth (1 Cor. 11:1-16) head covering was a sign of holiness!Context & culture do play a part in how others see us and perceive us!We should look to make the most of very and all situation!Become all things to all men!
* * 0A Christians Dress!Put off/put on! (Eph. 4:22-24; Col. 3:8-10)1 Tim. 2:9-10 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness - with good works. Not the outward, but the hidden man of the heart! (1 Pet. 3:1-6)
* * 0Conclusion:Gal. 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.Am I dressed for success in the Kingdom of God? Do others see Christ in me?If you have not yet put on Christ, then today is the day, tomorrow maybe too late!May each of us continue to learn to live as a light for Jesus! (Mt. 5:14-16)
* * 0
Act 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus.
* * 0
Now, I am dressed for success!
* * 0