Dr.att cultural intelligence
of 60 /60
Embed Size (px)
Free Slide Download of Prof. Dr. Aung Tun Thet's Seminar about Cultural Intelligence which is organized by 5 Network
Transcript of Dr.att cultural intelligence
- CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE: LEVERAGING DIVERSITY & MANAGING DIFFERENCES Prof.Dr.Aung Tun Thet
- Overview 1. Why CQ? 2. What is CQ? 3. How to apply CQ?
- Strength lies in differences, not in similarities.
- WHY CQ?
- Questions Do you speak another language? Do you have a passport? Have you visited another country? Have you lived outside Myanmar? Do you read the news about other countries? Do you eat food from other countries? Do you work with people from other countries?
- 21st Century Globally connected Interdependent Multi-culture Leveraging Diversity Managing Differences
- US, UK = OK! Japan = Money Russia = Zero Greece = Insult
- DO UNTO OTHERS AS THEY WOULD DO ONTO THEMSELVES The Golden Rule
- WHAT IS
- UNITY WITHOUT UNIFORMITY
- Culture Everyone possess Hard to quantify The way we do things around here.
- Culture Civilization - education, manners, arts and crafts and products. Way people think, feel, and act
- Cultural Iceberg Behaviours and Practices Attitudes Core Values
- Culture Visible culture differences Invisible culture roots
- Visible culture differences Communication styles Attitudes towards conflict Approaches to completing tasks Decision-making styles Attitude towards disclosure Approaches to knowledge
- Invisible Cultural Roots Beliefs Values Perceptions Expectations Attitudes Assumptions
- Cultures Functions Social glue Boundary-defining Sense of identity
- Culture as Liability Barrier to change Barrier to diversity
- Culture in Workplace Individual Orientation Group Orientation Hierarchical orientation Participative Orientation Need for Certainty Tolerance for Ambiguity Achievement orientation Quality of Life Long Term Orientation Short Term Orientation
- Organizational Culture Data Information Knowledge Insights
- Organizational Culture Shared Members solve problems Taught to newcomers Influence behaviour
- Inspiring Corporate Culture Inspiring Your People To Do Great Things 1. Inspiring Vision 2. Inspirational Leadership 3. Inspirational Environment 4. Relentless Innovation
- Intelligence More than mental ability Different types relevant in different situations
- Multiple Intelligence PQ - Physical Intelligence IQ - Mental Intelligence EQ - Emotional Intelligence SQ Spiritual Intelligence CQ - Cultural Intelligence
- Physical Intelligence LIVE Mental Intelligence LEARN Emotional Intelligence LOVE Spiritual Intelligence LEGACY Cultural Intelligence LEVERAGE
- CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE (CQ)
- CQ Increasingly global and diverse context Awareness of own Awareness of others
- CQ Quality personal relationships and effectiveness Individual capabilities to cope with multi- cultural situations Cross-cultural interactions Performing in culturally diverse work groups
- CQ Function effectively in culturally diverse situations Enhance employee, manager, and organizational effectiveness Enhance interpersonal interactions NOT specific to particular culture
- CQ Individual capability Not personality or personal interests Not fixed Can be enhanced
- Factors of CQ DIMENSION DESCRIPTION Head Self-Awareness Knowledge Heart Motivation Body Behaviour
- CQ Knowing Self Knowing Others Leading Together
- Benefits of CQ Enhances sensitivity Reduces use of stereotypes Enhance relationships Improves decision-making and work performance
- Benefits of CQ 1. Knowing own CQ strengths and weaknesses 2. Personal self-development 3. Knowing CQ strengths and weaknesses of others
- Benefits of CQ Cross-Cultural adjustment Improved Job Performance Enhanced personal well-being Greater profitability
- HOW TO APPLY CQ?
- Application of CQ Limitless Impact every human exchange - personal, professional, at home, or across culture.
- CQ Cognitive: How and why people do what they do? Motivational: Am I motivated to do something? Behavioural: Can I do the right thing?
- Four Capabilities of CQ
- CQ-Drive Intrinsic - enjoyment from culturally diverse experiences Extrinsic - gaining benefits from culturally diverse experiences Self-efficacy - confidence to be effective in culturally diverse situations
- CQ-Drive Interest in experiencing other cultures Interacting effectively with different cultural backgrounds Intrinsic value placed on diverse interactions
- CQ-Drive Enjoyment and sense of satisfaction (intangible benefits) Extrinsic value (tangible benefits) Sense of confidence
- CQ-Knowledge Cultures similar and different Business - economic and legal systems Interpersonal - values, social interaction norms, and religious beliefs Socio-linguistics - rules of languages and expressing non-verbal behaviors
- CQ-Knowledge Cultures similar Cultures different Information on cultural universals Unique cultural values, economic and legal systems, norms for social interaction, religious beliefs, aesthetic values, and language
- CQ-Strategy Making sense of culturally diverse experiences Making judgments about thought processes and those of others
- CQ-Strategy Awareness - knowing existing cultural knowledge Planning - strategizing before culturally diverse encounter Checking - checking assumptions and adjusting mental maps when actual experiences differ from expectations
- CQ-Strategy Think strategically about culture and cultural differences Mindful that societies and sub-cultures differ in values
- CQ-Strategy Awareness that individuals have different cultural value orientations AND Different orientations influence perceptions, sense-making, motivation, and behavior
- CQ-Action Capability to adapt verbal and nonverbal behavior Flexible repertoire of responses
- CQ-Action Non-Verbal modifying behaviors (e.g., gestures, facial expressions) Verbal - modifying behaviors (e.g., accent, tone)
- CQ-Action Change behavior to fit other cultures Using flexible range of non-verbal behaviors (i.e., body language, physical gestures, facial expressions) Using flexible range of verbal behaviors (i.e. accent, tone, expressiveness)
- CQ-Action Modifying behavior to put others at ease Changes in both verbal and nonverbal actions
- CQ Capabilities Integrated Who are you? What are you doing? Who are others? To what degree are they the same or different?
- Harnessing CQ Developing CQ Leveraging Diversity Managing Differences
- Multicultural Teams Knowledge Transformers Performance Maximizers Creative collaborators Complexity Solvers
- Overview 1. Why CQ? 2. What is CQ? 3. How to apply CQ?
- If man is to survive, he will have learned to take a delight in the essential differences between men, and between cultures.