Domestic cats and big cats
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Domestic cats and big cats
- Domestic cats are the cats that most of the people have. These kind of cats are commonly used as pets in our home. Compare to the big cats domestic cats. The domestic cat (Felis catus or Felis silvestris catus) is a small, usually furry, domesticated, and carnivorous mammal. It is often called the housecat when kept as an indoor pet, or simply the cat when there is no need to distinguish it from other felids and felines. Cats are often valued by humans for companionship and their ability to hunt vermin and household pests.
- This cat is from United States. The first wirehair cat appeared as a random cat mutation among a litter of six born to two barn cats. This single red and white male had odd wiry fur.
- The breed originated in Lakewood, California as the result of a spontaneous mutation. In June, 1981, two stray kittens were found and taken in by the Ruga family
- American Shorthair The breed is believed to be descended from English cats. (the forebears of today's British Shorthairs) brought to North America by early European settlers to protect valuable cargo from mice and rats.
- Balinese The Balinese was originally registered as a 'longhaired Siamese', and examples were known from the early 1920s. The occasional longhaired kittens in a Siamese litter were seen as an oddity, and sold as household pets rather than as show cats
- Felis Catus The breed is rare even in its native Russia. A translated breed standard for this and other native breeds was published in the mid 1990s, but nothing has been heard since that time and its breed status is unclear.
- Australian Mist Like all domestic cats, Australian mist descended from the African wildcat (Felis silvestris lybica). The mountainous regions of Eastern Anatolia isolated cats brought by traders from Egypt
- American Bobtail According to legend, bobtails are the result of a crossbreeding between a domestic tabby cat and a bobcat. Yodie, a short-tailed brown tabby male, mated with a seal point Siamese colored (cat) female to create the Bobtail's original bloodline.
- Calico Poebe Calico cats are domestic cats with a spotted or particolored coat that is predominantly white, with patches of two other colors (often the two other colors are orange tabby and black).
- Agean The Aegean Cat originates from the Cycladic Islands in the Aegean Sea, where they occur naturally. African serval It is a strong yet slender animal, with long legs and a fairly short tail. Due to its leg length, it is relatively one of the tallest cats.
- Brown Exotic The first known written mention of the Korat was in "The Cat-Book Poems" authored between 1350 and 1767 AD in Thailand, now preserved in the National library in Bangkok.
- Brown Varient Asian is a rare, naturally occurring breed of cat from the Lake Van region of present-day Turkey. For Turkish Vans, the word van refers to their color pattern, where the color is restricted to the head and the tail, and the rest of the cat is white
- The first Bengal Cat was registered with the International Cat Association (TICA) in 1983. The Bengal has been welcomed as a pedigreed breed by several cat associations
- Asian Semi Longhair Like the Asian Shorthair, the breed was developed in Britain, and is not currently recognised by any U.S. Registries. It has full recognition in the GCCF and although it is a relatively rare breed some fine examples have become champions.
- don sphynx is a breed of cat known for its lack of a coat
- Domestic Long Hair Domestic longhairs come in all the standard cat colours including tabby, tortie, bi-colored etc. If their fur combines several shades of the same color they may be referred to as a smoke.
- Farm Cat also known as barn cats, are cats kept primarily for the purpose of catching the smaller vermin found on farms and ranches
- Oriental Long Hair is a breed of cat that features a tubular, Siamesestyle body (known in the cat fancy as oriental type),
- Persian Cat The Persian cat originates from the Iranian plateau, a large area between the Hindukush mountains and Mesopotamia
- Oriental Short Hair The Siamese cat was imported to Britain from Siam (Thailand) in the later half of the 1800s. According to reports, both pointed and solid colors were imported.
- Ragdoll Ragdolls were first bred in the 1960s by Ann Baker, a Persian breeder in California. Some of the original stock consisted of sturdy, free-roaming cats.
- Smoke cat Smoke cats will look solid coloured until they move, when the white undercoat becomes apparent. It is mostly found in pedigreed cats (especially longhair breeds) but also present in some domestic longhaired cats.
- Ragamuffin The Ragamuffin is one of the newest breeds of domestic cat. It was created in 1994. The exact development of this breed is cloudy and will likely remain a mystery
- Sokoke is a more recently developed natural breed of felid hybrid domestic cats, recognized by two major cat pedigree registry organizations as a formal cat breed
- York Chocolate Cat The York Chocolate Cat is a new American breed of show cat, with a long, fluffy coat and a plumed tail.
- Toyger The Toyger is a breed of cat, the result of breeding domestic shorthaired tabbies (beginning in the 1980s) to make them resemble the 'toy tiger' as its striped coat is reminiscent of the tiger's.
- Russian White The breed is rare even in its native Russia. A translated breed standard for this and other native breeds was published in the mid 1990s, but nothing has been heard since that time and its breed status is unclear.
- Siamese The exact origins of the breed are unknown, but it is believed to be from Southeast Asia, and is said to be descended from the sacred temple cats of Siam (now Thailand).
- Scottish Cold Cat The original Scottish Fold was a long-haired white-haired barn cat named Susie, who was found at a farm near Coupar Angus in Perthshire, Scotland in 1961. Susie's ears had an unusual fold in their middle,
- Peterbald Peterbalds have an elegantly slim graceful and muscular build. They have a narrow and long head with a straight profile, almond-shaped eyes, wedge-shaped muzzle, and big setapart ears.
- Oriental Cat is any cat of Oriental type, either longhaired or shorthaired and in any pattern including colourpoint, which has white areas on its coat caused by the white spotting gene.
- Norwegian The breed is very old, and occurred as a natural adaptation to the cold climate of the region, but it was not regarded as anything other than a standard house-cat until the late 1930s
- Tortoiseshell describes a coat coloring found almost exclusively in female cats. Also called Torties for short, they combine two colors other than white, either closely mixed or in large patches.
- manx-cat The Manx breed originated on the Isle of Man (hence the name), where they are common. They are called stubbin in the Manx language.
- Somali The first LaPerm was born in 1982 and was a spontaneous mutation in an otherwise normal litter of kittens. Linda and Richard Koehl owned a cherry farm in The Dalles, Oregon, and had obtained some farm cats to keep the farm clear of mice
- Snowhoe is a rare breed of cat origi nating in the United States of America in the 1960s. Snowshoes were first produced inPhiladelphia when a Siamese breeder's cat gave birth to three kittens with white feet.
- Minx The term is a common error or colloquially used by people unfamiliar with the Manx cat, a tailless breed of cat originating from the Isle of Man, Great Britai