1. Defining Simile and Metaphor The child was as angry as a bear. The child was a bear.
2. Recognizing Similes/Metaphors in Song Lyrics Katy Perry Firework Do you ever feel like a plastic bag Drifting through the wind, wanting to start again? Do you ever feel, feel so paper thin Like a house of cards, one blow from caving in? You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine Just own the night like the 4th of July Cause baby youre a firework Come on, show em what youre worth Make em go, oh As you shoot across the skyLyrics from: http://www.elyrics.net/read/k/katy-perry-lyrics/firework-lyrics.html
3. Recognizing Similes/Metaphors in Art Photo taken from: http://helenkuchta.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/surrealism/
4. Recognizing Similes/Metaphors inComic Books Photo taken from: http://lounge.moviecodec.com/testing/goku-vs-superman-17280/751
5. Recognizing Similes/Metaphors in Scary Books Josh and I hated our new house. Sure, it was big. It looked like a mansion compared to our old house (1).Welcome to Dead House, Goosebumps Series, by R.L. StineText taken from: http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Dead-House-Goosebumps-Series/dp/0439568471/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1
6. So What are Similes? A simile compares two unlike things using like or as. Example: Do you ever feel like a plastic bag drifting through the wind, wanting to start again? What might Katy Perry mean with this line? What is Katy Perry trying to say?
7. So What are Metaphors? A metaphor compares two unlike things using a form of the verb to be. Example: Youre a firework. (You are a firework) What might Katy Perry mean with this line? What is Katy Perry trying to say?
8. Now your turn! Where else can we find similes and metaphors?