CONFLICT OF INTEREST Proposed Code Of Conduct for IAP CoI Advisors, Office Bearers & Members
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of CONFLICT OF INTEREST Proposed Code Of Conduct for IAP CoI Advisors, Office Bearers & Members
04/20/2304/20/23 1104/20/2304/20/23 11Apr 20, 2023 1
CONFLICT OF INTERESTCONFLICT OF INTEREST
Proposed Code Of Conduct for IAP CoI Advisors, Office Bearers & Members
Prof. A. PARTHASARATHYProf. A. PARTHASARATHYDistinguished Professor of Pediatrics, The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical Distinguished Professor of Pediatrics, The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical
University, Chennai - 600 032University, Chennai - 600 032
Former Senior Clinical Professor of Pediatrics, Madras Medical College & Former Senior Clinical Professor of Pediatrics, Madras Medical College & Deputy Superintendent, Institute of Child Health And Hospital for Children, Chennai 600008.Deputy Superintendent, Institute of Child Health And Hospital for Children, Chennai 600008.
National President (1997), Indian Academy of Pediatrics,National President (1997), Indian Academy of Pediatrics,Regional Advisor (1997–1999) Association of Pediatric Societies of South East Asia Region, Regional Advisor (1997–1999) Association of Pediatric Societies of South East Asia Region,
Editor-in-chief, IAP Text Book of Pediatrics since 1997Editor-in-chief, IAP Text Book of Pediatrics since 1997Associate Editor, Color Atlas of Tropical Pediatrics, AAP publication (2009)Associate Editor, Color Atlas of Tropical Pediatrics, AAP publication (2009)
Advisor, IAP Committee on Immunization, (2011-2013)Advisor, IAP Committee on Immunization, (2011-2013)
Email: Email: [email protected]@gmail.com Mobile: Mobile: 090422 60053090422 60053
Situational Analysis - 1• Organizing committees of National, Zonal, State,
District level IAP Conferences accept huge donations from Vaccine manufacturers and other Pharma companies.
• Sponsored Sessions on the topic of Interest by the Sponsors are allotted special slots of their choice including prime -time slots.
• Speakers are selected by the Sponsors from their own faculty archive their travel & accommodation are taken care of by the sponsors.
Situational Analysis - 2
• Some Vaccine Manufacturers even pay a 'Lecture Fee' to the selected speaker in the form of cash payment attracting wide criticism from members at large..
• Some Speakers even use the Company slides on particular Vaccine and present the same in State/District level Conferences
• Some openly declare that they have received hospitality and remuneration from the sponsor; Majority do not declare.
• A felt need for developing 'A Code Of Conduct' suggested in many IAP Forums including during CoI meetings.
'THE MCI GUIDELINES’
• The Faculty Member/Chair -Person can take sponsorship of air Travel, accommodation and local hospitality from their Sponsors for self and Not for their family members.
• He/She will not receive any remuneration directly or indirectly from Sponsors and also any hidden gift in cash/kind.
• The sponsorship is meant only for the Conference/CME event and not for any sight seeing trip etc.
• An agreement / declaration ,if , needed can be obtained from the Speaker by the Sponsor and the MCI to be notified of such sponsorship from time to time.
• A Memento within the specified amount can be handed over to the speaker by the Organizers
• An Ordinary delegate who is not a Faculty should NOT take any sponsorship for himself and Family for Air Travel/Local accommodation etc.
Proposed Code of conduct for IAP COI members, office-bearers & advisors - 1
• a) Cash or monetary grants: A member/ office-bearer/advisor shall not receive any cash or monetary grants from any vaccine manufacturer for individual purpose in individual capacity under any pretext.
• b) Travel facilities: A member/ office-bearer/advisor shall not accept any travel facility inside the country or outside, including rail, air, ship, cruise tickets, paid vacations etc. from any vaccine manufacturer for self and family members for vacation or for attending conferences, seminars, workshops, CME programme etc as a faculty or delegate.
• c) Hospitality: A member/ office-bearer/advisor shall not accept individually any hospitality like hotel accommodation for self and family members from vaccine manufacturers under any pretext.
Proposed Code of conduct for IAP COI members, office-bearers & advisors - 2
• d) Vaccine trials and other research projects: A member/ office-bearer/advisor may participate in; work in research projects funded by vaccine manufacturers.
However, they are obliged to know that the fulfillment of the following items (i) to (v) will be an imperative for undertaking any research assignment / project funded by industry – for being proper and ethical. Thus, in accepting such a position a member/ office-bearer/advisor shall:-
(i) Ensure that the particular research proposal(s) has the due permission from the competent concerned authorities.
(ii) Ensure that such a research project(s) has the clearance of national / state/institutional ethics committees / bodies.
(iii) Ensure that it fulfils all the legal requirements prescribed for medical research.
(iv) Ensure that the source and amount of funding is publicly disclosed at the beginning itself.
(v) Ensure that while accepting such an assignment a member shall have the freedom to publish the results of the research in the greater interest of the society by inserting such a clause in the MoU or any other document agreement for any such assignment.
Proposed Code of conduct for IAP COI members, office-bearers & advisors - 3
• f) Maintaining Professional Autonomy while delivering any scientific talk/lecture/presentation: A member/ office-bearer/advisor are expected to use his/her own slides/teaching material while delivering any talk/presentation in any CME/conference/update on any vaccine. A member/ office-bearer/advisor shall always ensure that there shall never be any compromise either with his / her own professional autonomy and / or with the autonomy and freedom of the committee.
• g) Affiliation as an advisory board member: A member/ office-bearer/advisor may work for any vaccine manufacturer in advisory capacities, as consultants, as researchers, or in any other professional capacity. In doing so, a member/ office-bearer/advisor shall always:(i) Ensure that his professional integrity and freedom are maintained.(ii) Ensure that such affiliations are within the law.(ii) Ensure that such affiliations / employments are fully transparent and disclosed.
Proposed Code of conduct for IAP COI members, office-bearers & advisors - 4
• h) Endorsement of any vaccine brand: A member/ office-bearer/advisor shall not endorse any vaccine brand (of vaccine manufacturer) publically. Any study conducted on the efficacy or otherwise of such products shall be presented to and / or through appropriate scientific bodies or published in appropriate scientific journals in a proper way.However, a member/ office-bearer/advisor can accept the hospitality/travel grants (but no cash honoraria) from the organizing local IAP branch/other professional associations for delivering lectures/ppts in a meet/CME/symposium/conference or participating in discussion as a faculty member.
• i) Declaration for CoI meetings:All experts invited to a meeting to develop guidelines or recommendations, as well as assessments of any kind of product, or methodology which would in any way be of relevance to a present or future commercial activity or interests, should complete the Declaration.
Proposed Code of conduct for IAP COI members, office-bearers & advisors - 5
• Declaration :
I, ____________________________________________________ hereby (print or type first name, middle initial, last name)
declare that I have read all the above terms and conditions associated with working with the committee. I will abide by all the above terms while discharging the duty of a member/office-bearer/advisor of the committee till my appointment lasts. In case of any conflict of interest, I will not only declare it to the committee, but will also resolve it before undertaking any such duty that may involve such issues. ____________________________________________________________ (Signature)(Date )_______________________________ _______________________________ (Name )(Institution)