Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Cheap quickpretty
- 1. Cheap, Quick, and Pretty: Mass Digitization of Large Manuscript Collections Jody L. DeRidder University of Alabama Libraries [email_address]
- How difficult is it?
- What does it look like?
- How long does it take?
- What does it cost?
- How effective is it?
- Whats missing?
3. How difficult is it? And sequence:1, 2, 3 Each file name includes: 4. What does it look like? (item) 5. What does it look like? (EAD) 6. What does it look like? (item outside Acumen) 7. How long does it take? Old method:8.25 min. / scan New method: 4.34 min. / scan Processing: reduced. QC: reduced.Metadata time: none. 47% LESS TIME! 8. What does it cost? Old method:$2.47 / scan New method: $0.80 /scan Processing: reduced. QC: reduced.Metadata costs: none. 68% CHEAPER!! 9. How effective is it?
- Experienced researchers prefer it!
- Those new to digital collections found it easier!
- 42% less time
- 27% fewer clicks
- 12% more success
- Foreign students found the terminology difficult.
10. We still need
- Improved usability of EAD interface:
- Search in page
- Navigation links
- Establish learnability
- Easy:put info in file names; run scripts
- Looks:pretty darn good!
- Time:4.34 min. / page
- Cost:79.5 cents / page
- Effectiveness:great forscholars;surprisinglygoodfor novices
- Need:improved usability ofEAD interface
12. For More Information:
- Upcoming American Archivist article??
- Jody L. DeRidder, Leveraging EAD for Low-Cost Access to Digitized Collections at the University of Alabama Libraries, Journal of Library Innovation, 2:1 (2011),http://www.libraryinnovation.org/article/view/69
- University of Alabama Libraries, Septimus D. Cabaniss Papers Digitization Project.
- Project Site:http://www.lib.ua.edu/libraries/hoole/cabaniss
- University of Alabama Libraries, Acumen Digital Library Software.http://sourceforge.net/projects/acumendls /
- Experienced researchers prefer the finding aid interface:
- Tim West, Kirill Fesenko, and Laura Clark Brown, Extending the Reach of Southern Sources: Proceeding to Large-Scale Digitization of Manuscript Collections, Final Grant Report for the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation,Southern Historical Collection, University Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill , June 2009,http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/archivalmassdigitization/download/extending_the_reach.pdf
- Cory Nimer and J. Gordon Daines III, What Do You Mean It Doesnt Make Sense? Redesigning Finding Aids from the Users Perspective,Journal of Archival Organization6, no. 4 (2008),http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15332740802533214
- Novice users experience a learning curve:
- Wendy Scheir, First Entry: Report on a Qualitative Exploratory Study of Novice User Experience with Online Finding Aids,Journal of Archival Organization3, no. 4 (2006),http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J201v03n04_04
- Joyce Celeste Chapman, Observing Users: An Empirical Analysis of User Interaction with Online Finding Aids,Journal of Archival Organization8, no. 1 (2010)http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15332748.2010.484361