Central viet nam

of 59 /59
Central Viet Nam Endowed with superb landscapes and beaches, as well as a renowned gastronomy, Central Viet Nam grants a fascinating journey, through the country's history, from the ancient remains of the My Son Cham Towers to the magnificent Imperial Citadels of Hue and the charming streets of Hoi An. This land is home to four World Heritages. 1 Thua Thien Hue Province Area: 5,062.6 sq. km Population: 1,090.9 thousand habitants (2010) Capital: Hue City Administrative divisions: - Town: Huong Thuy - Districts: Phong Dien, Quang Dien, Huong Tra, Phu Vang, Phu Loc, Nam Dong, A Luoi. Ethnic groups: Viet (Kinh), Ta Oi, Co Tu, Bru Van Kieu, Hoa. Geography Thua Thien-Hue Province is located in Central Vietnam. It is next to Quang Tri Province to the north, Danang to the south, and Quang Nam Province to the south-west.

Embed Size (px)


Guide book travel to Central Viet Nam

Transcript of Central viet nam

  • Central Viet Nam Endowed with superb landscapes and beaches, as well as a renowned gastronomy, Central Viet Nam grants a fascinating journey, through the country's history, from the ancient remains of the My Son Cham Towers to the magnificent Imperial Citadels of Hue and the charming streets of Hoi An. This land is home to four World Heritages. Thua Thien Hue Province Area: 5,062.6 sq. km Population: 1,090.9 thousand habitants (2010) Capital: Hue City Administrative divisions: - Town: Huong Thuy - Districts: Phong Dien, Quang Dien, Huong Tra, Phu Vang, Phu Loc, Nam Dong, A Luoi. Ethnic groups: Viet (Kinh), Ta Oi, Co Tu, Bru Van Kieu, Hoa. Geography Thua Thien-Hue Province is located in Central Vietnam. It is next to Quang Tri Province to the north, Danang to the south, and Quang Nam Province to the south-west. This province leans up against the Truong Son mountain range and is washed by the East Sea, along its 120km seashore. Climate The weather is submitted to tropical monsoon climate divided into four distinct seasons: fresh spring, very hot summer, mild autumn and windy, cold winter. The dry season lasts from March to August. It is hot with
  • temperate rarely reaches to 39.50C. The rainy season lasts from September to February. It is quite cold with average temperature is 19.70C, but sometime down to 8.80C. In this time, it rains a lost, sometime lasts all day. If tourist would to avoid rainy, they come to Danang City, 108km from south of Hue. In the mountain area, the weather is cool with the annual temperature is between 90C and 290C. The most convenient time to visit the area is from November to April. Tourism Thua Thien-Hue offers very diversified and beautiful landscapes. Nature and human beings create a harmoniously beauty with Bach Ma (White Horse) National Park and other attractive beaches such as Thuan An, Lang Co and Canh Duong. The province provides a well-balanced blend of royal heritage and folk culture. As a matter of fact, tourists discover dozens of handicraft villages, with annual festivals that are painstakingly organized. Hue is also an important center of Buddhism. In Hue and its surrounding still exist tens of pagodas constructed more 300 years ago, and hundred of temples and pagodas built in the early 20th century. Besides, tourist is able to enjoy many traditional famous dishes and find out about sophisticated handicraft here. Hue Citadel has been recognized as a World Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO since December 1993, Hue Royal Musical (Nha nhac) has been declared as a World Intangible Cultural Heritage since November 2003. Transportation Transportation by train, road, air and water routes is very convenient. Road: Thua Thien-Hue Province is 654km from Hanoi, 1,051km from Ho Chi Minh City, 85km from Danang. The province has the National Highway
  • 14 that links Hue with Central Highlands. It is also on the National Highway 1A that connects Hanoi and Ca Mau. Train: The Thong Nhat Express trains from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh stop at Hue Railway station. The local trains come to some other provinces. Air: Phu Bai Airport serves flights: Hue - Ho Chi Minh City and Hue - Hanoi. Thua Thien Hue Province is submitted to a tropical monsoon climate divided into four distinct seasons: fresh spring, very hot summer, mild autumn and windy, cold winter. The average annual temperature is 25C (77o F). The most convenient time to visit the area is from November to April. The rainy season lasts from September to November. Owing to its rich historical past, this region is utterly attractive and has a lot to offers: the magnificent Hue Citadel and hundreds of pagodas, sumptuous beaches as well as a dazzling traditional culture and culinary art (many dishes and tasty cakes are exclusive to this area). The numerous celebrations and festivals held in the region offer a unique and harmonious mingling of folk culture together with an imperial heritage. For example, the music and lyrics of the sampan rowers and some popular melodies were slightly adapted to meet the tastes of kings and princes and to fit into imperial settings. The songs were later popularized throughout the whole country as Hue songs. A wide array of cultural talents and traits are still visible in several professional villages, such as the jeweler village, bronze casting village, embroidery village, etc. 1.1 HUE The provincial capital of Hue is one of the imperial capitals of the country that has been kept almost intact. Its royal architectural complex dedicated to the 13 Nguyen Kings includes clusters of royal palaces, citadels, temples, shrines, pagodas and mausoleums, ail located in magnificent landscapes along the Perfume River.
  • History Its obstacle-filled topography has given Hue a particular position in Vietnamese history. Towards the 13th century, it had already been added to the Dai Viet Kingdom as a gift from the Cham King when he married Princess Huyen Tran of the Tran Dynasty. Then, Lord Nguyen Hoang chose Hue as the capital of the Southern Region (1558); King Quang Trung chose Hue as the capital of the Tay Son Dynasty (1788-1802); and King Gia Long chose Hue as the capital of the Nguyen Dynasty (1802-1945). For approximately 400 years, Hue was the political and cultural centre of the Feudal | State of Viet Nam. This explains why there are hundreds of historical and cultural remains located in the area. As such, Complex of Hue Monuments was listed as a World Cultural Heritage Site in 1993. Once again, in 2003 Nha Nhac, Vietnamese Court Music was recognized as World Heritage by UNESCO. Nha Nhac, Vietnamese Court Music - An Intangible Heritage On November 7, 2003, UNESCO bestowed world heritage status on 28 relics of nations as masterpieces of oral and intangible heritage of humanity. Among the 11 masterpieces of Asia, Nha Nhac, Vietnamese Court Music represents the first intangible legacy of Viet Nam to have been put on this list. The UNESCO Council appraised Vietnamese royal music in the following terms: "Vietnamese Court Music represents an elegant and refined music. It deals with the music performed in the imperial courts and on different anniversaries, religious festivals, and on such particular occasions. Of the different categories developed in Viet Nam, only the court music was national'. Nha nhac, Vietnamese Court Music and its principles came to Viet Nam under the Ho Han Thuong Reign (1400-1407). The Ho Dynasty, however, only existed for a short time, so nha nhac rapidly fell into oblivion. In 1427, Le Loi defeated the Chinese Ming invaders and liberated the
  • country. However, nha nhac only began to develop in the reign of King Le Thanh Tong (1460-1497) and reached its peak under the Nguyen Dynasty (1802-1945). Nha nhac is genre of scholarly music. It attracted the participation of many talented songwriters and musicians, with numerous traditional musical instruments. From now on, nha nhac will have opportunities to preserve, develop and popularize to the public, inside and outside the country. 1.2 Tourist attractions 1.2.1 Complex of Hue Monuments Hue Imperial City Construction of the Imperial City started in 1805, under the reign of Emperor Gia Long, and was completed in 1832, under the reign of Emperor Minh Mang. Built on the northern bank of the Perfume River, the Imperial City ' was influenced by the style of French architect Vauban. The city comprises three sections: the Royal Citadel, the Imperial Enclosure and the Forbidden Purple City. Royal Citadel Enclosure (Hoang Thanh) The outermost boundary of the citadel has a perimeter of 9,950 m. The citadel has ten entrances: Nha Do Gate, Sap Gate, Ngan Gate, Thuong Tu Gate, Dong Ba Gate, Ke Trai Gate, Hau Gate, An Hoa Gate, Chanh Tay Gate, and Huu Gate. Forbidden Purple City (Tu Cam Thanh) The third and innermost fort of the royal complex has a perimeter of 1,225m and is accessible through seven gates. It was formerly reserved for the private use of the kings and their families, as well as the numerous
  • concubines. The Forbidden Purple City is almost isolated from the outside world. Located inside the three high ramparts and deep moats, is a large cluster of smaller ^ structures built along a main axis that runs from south to north. The first structure is Ky Dai (Flag Tower). It is followed by Ngo Mon Gate, Dai Trieu Nghi Yard, Thai Hoa Palace, Can Chanh Palace, Khon Thai Palace, Kien Trung Palace and Hoa Binh (Peace) Gate. Ngo Mon (Gate) This three-story structure is 58m long, 27.5m wide, 17m high, and serves as the main entrance to the Imperial City. Ngo Mon comprises five gates, with the central gate being reserved for the kings only. The two adjacent gates were exclusively for court officials, and the two other outer gates were used for servants and members of the royal entourage. On top of the arch is the Five Phoenix Pavilion where the king sat during festivities. This was also where ceremonies were organized to announce the names of successful candidates of royal examinations. During the reign of the Nguyen Kings, Ngo Mon was only opened when the kings were passing by or receiving foreign ambassadors. Palace of Supreme Harmony (Dien Thai Hoa) Thai Hoa Palace was built in 1805 according to 19th century architectural designs for palaces and temples. It is composed of two buildings, the anterior palace and the main palace, which are joined together. This is where the golden throne of the king is located.
  • Dynastic Temple (The Mieu) This was one of the many shrines and temples dedicated to the kings and royal members of the Nguyen Dynasty. It was built in 1921 to worship King Gia Long and was later used to worship his successors as well. Up to now ten kings are worshipped in The Mieu. The Mieu is comprised two separate halls, each furnished with an ornamented bed made of ironwood and covered with golden glaze and red lacquer, an altar, funerary tablets and precious military weapons used for worshipping purposes. This was where the court organized grand funeral services headed by the late king's successor. The Temple is said to be the largest shrine of this kind ever built in Viet Nam. Nine Dynastic Ums The Nine Dynastic Urns were cast between 1835 and 1837, and weigh between 1,900 to 2,601kg each. The whole row of urns represents the power and stability of the Nguyen Dynasty. These urns are the greatest achievements of the 19th century bronze casting in Viet Nam. Traditional ornamentation was chiselled on the sides of the urns, each dedicated to a particular emperor. The 17 designs, based on classic motifs, include the sun, the moon, clouds, mountains, rivers, and scenes from everyday life. Many consider the nine urns to be a real encyclopedia of the landscapes, farm products, and animals of Viet Nam. Pavilion of Splendour (Hien Lam) Hien Lam Pavilon is a memorial pavilion built to remind younger generations of the merits and contributions of members of the Nguyen Kings were worshipped in The Mieu, other memorable people and mandarins were worshipped in halls located on either side of Hien Lam Pavilion.
  • Hien Lam Pavilion was built within the site of The Mieu and was made of wood. The three- story building, which is 25m high, is the tallest building in the whole Imperial Enclosure. Royal Residence (Cung That) Cung That was reserved for the private use of kings and their families. This area was an important component of the Hue Imperial City, which included several palaces: Can Chanh Palace (King's Residence), Khon Thai Palace (Queen's Residence), Dien Tho Palace (King's mother's Residence), and Truong Sinh Palace (King's paternal grandmother's Residence). Unfortunately, most of the palaces were destroyed in the wars, with the exception of the Dien Tho and Truong Sinh Palaces. Dien Tho Palace was built in 1804. A special feature of this architectural structure is the roofed corridor that links Dien Tho Palace to the king's residence to facilitate the King's visits to his mother. It was restored as its old design. 1.2.2 Perfume River (Huong River) A visit to Hue would not be complete without a boat excursion on the Perfume River. This 80km-long river owes its name to the fact that it flows through many forests of aromatic Plants before reaching Hue, bringing with it a Pure and fresh aroma. Boats take visitors to every comerof the capital: under Da Vien, Phu Xuan, and Truong Tien Bridges, to the Tomb of Minh Mang, Hon Chen Shrine, Thien Mu Pagoda, and finally to Thuan An to bath in the sea. Upstream, at the Tomb of Thien Tho, you can hear the rustling of the pine trees. When the night comes, the surface of the river glistens under the moonlight, and the songs of the boat rowers can be heard breaking the silence.
  • 1.2.3 Thien Mu Pagoda This pagoda, also known as Linh Mu Pagoda, is one of the most beautiful and ancient architectural structures of worship in Hue. The pagoda is situated on Ha Khe Hill, on the left bank of the Perfume River, 7km south- west of Hue, in Huong Long Commune, Hue City. It was built in the 17th century, according to a legend about the prediction of a fairy lady and was, therefore, named Thien Mu (fairy lady from heaven). The most striking feature of the pagoda is its Phuoc Duyen Tower. The tower was built by Thieu Tri King in 1844, and has become the unofficial symbol of Hue. Each of its seven stories is dedicated to a Buddha who appeared in human form. There is a Buddha statue placed on each story, in a small arched door. To the left of the tower is a pavilion sheltering an enormous bell. The bell, called Dai Hong Chung, was cast in 1710. It weighs 3,285kg and is 1.4m in circumference. It is considered to be an outstanding achievement of 18th century bronze casting. To the right of the tower is a pavilion containing a stela dating from 1715. It is set on the back of a massive marble turtle, a symbol of longevity. Thien Mu Pagoda can be reached either by car or by boat. Entrance is free. 1.2.4 Tiger Fighting Arena (Ho Quyen) This structure was formerly reserved for tiger and elephant fights to entertain kings and high ranking officials. The last animal fight held at the arena was in 1904, during the reign of King Thanh Thai. Constructed in 1830 during the reign of Minh Mang, the arena consists of two concentric rings built with a special kind of brick called gach vo. This unique structure is 4km from the centre of the city on the southern bank of the Perfume River.
  • To go there, follow Bui Thi Xuan St. about 4km, then turn left. The Royal Arena is about100m further on the right. 1.2.5 Royal Tombs There are eight royal tombs in Hue that are the final resting places of the Nguyen Kings. The construction of each tomb was very meticulous and usually started while the respective king was still alive. Most of the tombs face the south-west, the direction of the Imperial City, and they are built according to similar architectural designs. Each tomb consists of two complexes. The first is reserved for funeral services and the second one is exclusively for the tomb. Generally, each tomb is enclosed by a surrounding rampart called la thanh. However, each tomb's internal configuration is different, since these particular arrangements reflected the tastes and personality of monarch. Tomb of Gia Long The Tomb of Gia Long is located 16km from the centre of Hue, on top of the Thien Tho Mountains, on the left bank of the Perfume River. Construction of the tomb began in 1814 and was completed in 1820. Located in a vast land covered with a wide canopy of old pine trees, the mausoleum were built according to a monumental but simple design. In front, is a lotus pond. Behind the pond, is a large terraced yard divided into three different levels. The first level was used as the waiting area and is bordered by two rows of elephant and horse statues. The second level, San Te (praying yard), is where worship services were organized. The last level, Buu Thanh, is the actual sepulchre that houses the remains of King Gia Long and that of Thua Thien Cao Hoang Hau. The Tomb of Gia Long is 2km from the bank of the Perfume River and is accessible by boat from Hue. To go by road, you must stop at Kim Ngoc
  • Wharf, cross the river, and then walk about 2km. It is open from 6.30 am to 6 pm in summer; and from 7 am to 5 pm in winter. Tomb of Minh Mang The construction of the Tomb of Minh Mang started in 1840 and was completed in 1843. It is located in an enclosed hilly area of about 20ha in Cam Khe. Village, Huong Tra District 12km from the centre of Hue. The surrounding rampart has three entrance gates and is comprised of approximately 30 structures arranged along an imaginary axis. The Tomb of Minh Mang has an air of magnificence and formality, and its architectural design harmoniously blends with its natural surroundings. It is accessible to cross the river by boat (docked at Tuan Wharf). The tomb is also accessible by car (by the way to Thien Mu Pagoda). It is open from 6.30 am to6pm in summer; and from 6am to 5 pm in winter. Tomb of Tu Duc The Tomb of Tu Due is situated on Duong Xuan Mountain, in Thuong Ba Village, Xuan Thuong Commune on the bank of the Perfume River. The construction started in1864and was completed in 1867. Also called Tomb of Modesty, the necropolis complex is enclosed by a thick wall following the contours of the hill, among a pine tree forest. Tu Due's tomb is 8km from the centre of Hue. Starting from Le Loi Street toward the train station, cross the bridge, then turn right on Bui Thi Xuan St. Go along this street for about 3km and then turn left for about 100m to the Royal Arena. From there, go another 2km and then turn left.
  • Tomb of Khai Dinh The tomb was built between 1920 and 1931. It is located on top of the Chau E Mountains, 10km from Hue. Located in a vast expanse of wilderness, Khai Dinh Tomb looks like a mag- nificent palace perched on the slope of a limestone mountain. It is accessible by climbing 109 stone steps. Unlike the construction materials used for the other tombs, Khai Dinh mausoleum was built with modem materials, such as steel and reinforced concrete. The peculiar feature of the tomb is the magnificent porcelain decorations on the walls, columns and ceilings. From Le Loi St., turn left to Dien Bien Phu St., at the end, turn left along Minh Mang Road to the Tomb of Khai Dinh. It is open from 6.30 am to 6 pm in summer; and from 7 am to 5 pm in winter. 1.2.6 Around Hue Ngu Binh Mountain Also known by the name Bang Son Mountain, Ngu Binh Mountain is located 3km from Hue. It is 105m-high and, seen from a distance, Ngu Binh Mountain looks like a screen protecting Hue. Along with the Perfume River, it is a significant symbol of Hue. The old capital is sometimes called Huong-Ngu City, referring to the beauty of the mountain and the river.
  • Duong No Village Duong No is the village where President Ho Chi Minh spent his childhood, in Phu Duong 2 Commune, Phu Vang District. It is on Thuan An Road, approximately 8km from Hue. Duong No has always been a prosperous andFd industrious village, where many literary and military traditions originated. In 1898, Mr. Nguyen Sinh Huy, President Ho Chi Minh's father, was invited by a Law Ministry official to come to Duong No and prepare his children for provincial examinations. Young Nguyen Sinh Cung (Ho Chi Minh) began to study Chinese with his father's pupils. He stayed with his father in Duong No until 1900. When Mr. Huy went to Thanh Hoa and was promoted to Provincial Examiner, Ho Chi Minh returned to Hue and lived with his mother, Hoang Thi Loan. After the country's reunification in 1975, the local people restored the house according to its former architecture. Nowadays, it can be visited. It exhibits interesting artifacts and pictures. In Duong No, visitors will also enjoy the river, the boat landing and Am Ba Temple. Mineral Stream of My An My An is located in Phu Duong Commune, Phu Vang District, 7km east of Hue, on the way to Thuan An Beach. In June 1979, geological and meteorological expedition N079 discovered this natural stream. After multiple scientific studies and experiments, the project Studying medical qualities of the mineral stream in My An" came to the conclusion that the mineral water in My An includes every micro- element necessary for the human body. This stream can be compared to various well-known mineral streams, such as Koundour (former Soviet Union) or Pavel Banls (Bulgaria).
  • Tests concerning the medicinal value of the mineral water have had positive results. The water of this stream can be used to successfully treat several skin and venereal diseases, rheumatism, digestion, mental, respiratory and other chronic diseases. At present, many local and foreign patients come to My An for self- treatment. Huong Giang Tourist Company and related administrative bodies of Thua Thien Hue have begun to take advantage of this mineral source to develop a tourist resort focusing on medical treatment by mineral water. Thuan An Beach Thuan An Beach is located by the Thuan An Estuary, where the Perfume River flows into Tam Giang Lagoon, and then into the sea. Thuan An Beach is about 13km from Hue City. It takes 15 minutes by car. On the left hand side of the road, there is a river with boats travelling back and forth. On the right side, there are houses, temples, pagodas, gardens and fields. Not far away from Hue, Thuan An Beach is the perfect spot for travellers to come and relax in the summer. The beach is also very popular with the locals, especially from April to September, when the whether is very hot. Tourists can also visit the whale Deity Temple and Thai Duong Temple, where the Goddess Thai Duong is worshipped. Thuan An Beach can be reached by bus. Tickets can be bought at Dong Ba Bus Station near the Dong Ba Market on the north bank of the river. Note that the last bus back leaves around 4pm.
  • A luoi A Luoi is located 70km south-west of Hue, along National Route 49. Set amongst the mighty Truong Son Mountains, A Luoi District is inhabited by the people of the Pa Co and Ta Oi ethnic groups. Despite the passage of time, the people of this area have kept their traditional customs and practices. A Luoi is especially famous for its unique weaving skills, in particular, knitting glass beads together with cloth thread. This handicraft has drawn the attention of many visitors and art specialists. The attraction is enhanced by the presence of the historical Ho Chi Minh Trail, a mythical trail from the triumph against the Americans. Bach Ma National Park Bach Ma National Park is approximately 50km south of Hue, with a temperate climate much like that of Da Lat, Sa Pa and Tam Dao. However, since it is located so close to the sea, the temperature in winter never goes below 4C (39.2F) and the highest temperature in summer never exceeds 26C (79F). Given these advantages, the French transformed Bach Ma into a summer resort in the early 1930s. The area comprised 139 villas and auxiliary buildings, such as the post ' office, bank, tennis court, etc. Unfortunately, the war and lack of maintenance had significantly affected these constructions. In 1986, after 10 years of reunification, the I State established a network of 87 natural reserves including Bach Ma. On 15 July 1991, the Bach Ma National Park was officially founded. Bach Ma has breath-taking natural landscapes. The highest peak is Hai Vong Dai (Sea Observation Post), 1,450m high, where people can have a panoramic view of the immense sea and surrounding scenery. Do Quyen Waterfall is astounding and huge in the wooded mountain. It is more than 300m high and 20-30m wide. It is amazing to watch the silver water running
  • into the bright red of water-rail flowers. Bac Chi Waterfall, about 20m high, roars all year round. Five lakes - a system of large lakes has clean and cool water, created by the block of black granite stretching along Kim Qui Spring. This is a good place for camping, bathing, and outdoor activities. Still, the beautiful National Park houses 1,493 species of animals of which 83 wildlife species. It is also home to 358-odd species of birds known to inhabit Viet Nam. More than 2,147 species of plants of which 86 species have been listed. Apart from ecotourism, the Bach Ma National Park has an advantage of being close to Viet Nam's three cultural world heritage sites (Complex of Hue Monuments, Hoi An Ancient Town and My Son Sanctuary). So, tourists usually add the park to their itinerary. With highly-valued natural resources, Bach Ma does not only gratify thousands of visitors but also attract scientists. The best time to visit Bach Ma is from February to September. It is open from 7am to 5pm. Lang co Beach Lang Co Beach stretches along National Highway 1A for 10km with white sand and dean and shallow waters. Looking Lang Co from the northern side of Hai Van Pass, one can see the rows of coconut trees and simple roofs adjacent to a sand dune similar to a visor stretching out the sea. Since coming into operation in 2001, the Lang Co Tourist Park has become a key tourist and beautiful site in Viet Nam and the region. The park is built in a white-sand dune covering an area of 10 hectares. The pleas- ure- houses here are designed in the Hue traditional styles combining the architecture of mausoleums, palaces, temples, pagodas and the green areas of garden-houses in Hue.
  • In Lang Co, tourists can have chances to admire white sand-dunes under the shadowy rows of coconut trees and take part in interesting activities such as sea-bathing, beach- volleyball, tennis, sea diving, and fishing in the open sea. Around Lang Co, visitors can experience other pleasures in exploring springs, caves, waterfalls, lakes, and stone grounds of natural and virgin beauty. Near the beach, there are many tourist attractions such as Chan May Mountain, Tu Hien Estuary, fishing village. Voi Stream This tourist site lies in Phu Loc District, Thua Thien-Hue Province, 40km south of Hue City. Nestling amidst Other well-known tourist sites like Bach Ma, Lang Co, and Chan May, Voi Stream allures tourists by its eco- environ- ment and wild beauty. Various rocks, small or big alike, scatter in the pure water of Voi Stream, which conjure up a herd of baby elephants playing with each other. By the waterfall, fascinating extra is a crouching stone elephant from whose trunk spouts out a fountain of water. Coming here, visitors feel like being lost in a forest of rare animals. The 500m Voi Stream includes Voi Pool and Du Pool. Heading there, tourists can wallow in the cool water or sit on different flat stones to enjoy the pure airy atmosphere. They can also immerse themselves in the pouring of the waterfall, the rustling of leaves, the melody of wind and the chirping of birds. All adds up to the endless concert with different nuances of nature. Du Pool offers thrilling experience for those who want to hold the hanging tree roots to swing back and forth. Its convenient access and diversified activities make this tourist site an ideal place for domestic and foreign holidaymakers.
  • Hue Garden House Garden house is a typical and unique characteristic of Hue City. Hue people have had a close attachment with the nature since the old day. Tourist all seem to share a common feeling when they visit Hue City: they are enchanted by the natural landscapes and by the vegetation which is everywhere from the walls of the Citadel to the private gardens of green plants and colourful flowers. Hue's gardens are very diversified and multiform as they display flowers fancies, ornamental plants as well as luxuriant fruits orchards along the riverbanks. Among them: the fruit-garden of Tuan Village, colourful flower garden of Nguyet Bieu alluvial ground, Huyen Khong Pagoda garden with its precious orchids or An Hien ornamental garden, the world of all kinds of flowers. The pleasure of decorative plants of the inhabitant of Hue expresses an ardent love of nature of this entire city of dream and poetry that is Hue, and leaves in the soul of tourists unforgettable feelings. Some famous garden houses in Hue: An Hien (Huong Long Commune, Hue City); Lac Tinh Vien (33 Phan Dinh Phung St., Hue City); Tinh Gia Vien (7/8 Le Thanh Ton St., Hue City); Y Thao (3 Thach Han St., Hue City); Ty Ba Trang (51 Ong Ich Khiem St., Hue City). 1.3 Festivals 1.3.1 Gia Lac Spring Fair 1st to 3rd day of the New Year's Festival This fair, located in Nam Pho Village, was first created during Minh Mang's reign (1820- 1840) to trade and exchange goods and to entertain the inhabitants. People from the whole region came to buy and sell products and to take part in the entertainment. During the fair, people playbai choi, bai ghe, hat gia gao(song while pounding rice), and bai thai games.
  • 1.3.2 Sinh Village Wrestling Festival 10th day of the 1st lunar month Sinh Village is situated on the southern bank of the Perfume River and belongs to Huong Phu District. Wrestlers from every school of martial art from Hue and other surrounding districts flock to compete in the wrestling competitions, which belong to an ancestral tradition. 1.3.3 Cau Ngu Festival 12th day of the 1st lunar month This festival is celebrated in Huong Hai to commemorate Truong Quy Cong, also known as Truong Thieu, who taught the locals to fish and trade. Every three years, the village organises a grand ceremony with entertaining activities depicting the fisher-men's occupations. 1.3.4 Hon Chen Temple Festival 3rd lunar month, 7th lunar month This festival is held both at Hon Chen Temple, located on Ngoc Tran Mountain, and at the communal house. The festival is celebrated in honour of the Holy Mother Thien Yana who, according to Cham legends, created the land and the trees, and taught people the art of growing these trees. This is a popular traditional ceremony in Hue with many rites that create a sacred atmosphere in a naturally romantic and loving framework. The festival attracts tens of thousands of visitors and worshippers.
  • 1.3.5 Canoe Competition The canoe competition is organized at the beginning of spring. It has its origin in the praying for rain" ceremonies of ancient times when the population heavily relied on agriculture. The yearly canoe competition is organized on | the Perfume River and it displays the talent and skill of those who live on the rivers and sea of Thua Thien-Hue. The rites of the ceremony (cult, kowtowing) are very solemn. Da Nang City Ethnic groups: Viet (Kinh),Hoa, Co Tu, Tay Highlights: Champa Sculpture Art Museum, Hai Van Pass,Non Nuoc Beach, Marble Mountains, etc Da Nang City was established in 1888, and has been a major harbour ever since. The largest city in Central Viet Nam is also an economic centre. Its road and railroad systems link the region to Laos and Thailand. There is also an international airport in the area. Every year Da Nang's harbour wel- comes a large number of tourists travelling by ship. After visiting the interesting Champa Sculpture Art Museum and discovering the city, travellers can easily explore the very picturesque sites surrounding Da Nang, such as Ba NaMountain and the Marble Mountains, Hai Van Pass or enjoy the magnificent beaches laying on tens of kilometers.
  • 1.4 Tourist attraction 1.4.1 Champa Sculpture Art Museum Located at the junction of Trung Nu Vuong and 2/9 Streets, Da Nang City, the Champa Sculpture Art Museum was built in 1915 under the sponsorship of the French School lor Far Eastern Studies in Viet Nam. It is based in the Da Nang region which was the seat of the old Champa Kingdom and boasts many attractions like Tra Kieu, Dong Duong, My Son and Thap Mam. In 1936 the Museum was expanded, and opened to the public in 1939. It conserves the last collection of the Champa Sculpture Art in Viet Nam and the world. Its architecture bears the features of Cham architecture. It boasts a row of showrooms white in color with simple yet graceful decorations. The Museum exhibits 300 original sandstone sculptures and some baked clay products collected from the temples and towers that lie scattered from Quang Binh to Binh Thuan in Central Viet Nam. The exhibits are statues, embossments, images, and patterns displayed in 10 rooms named after the places where they were found. They are also arranged in accordance with styles: Early Tra Kieu style (late 7th century) An My style (early 8th century) My Son style (8th - 9th centuries) Dong Duong style (middle 9th century, early 10th century) Khuong My style (early 10th century) Late Tra Kieu style (late 10th century) Chanh Lo style (11th century)
  • Binh Dinh style (12th -13th centuries) Thap Mam style (12th -14th centuries) Yang Mun style (late 14th century, early 15th century) The compound of the museum blends harmoniously with the local landscape, which gives tourists a chance to relax and feel themselves immersed in the golden past of Cham civilization. 1.4.2 Pho Da Pagoda Pho Da Pagoda is located at 340 Phan Chu Trinh St. It was founded and built by Venerable Thich Ton Thang in 1927 and was restored in 1937, 1945, and 1983. Constructed according to the Chinese character Khau,the pagoda includes the Main Hall, a Buddhist Temple room and a lecture- hall. Three bronze Buddha statues cast in 1947 are worshipped inside the Main Hall. On the front ground lays a large oval lake. Standing on a huge rock in the middle of the lake is the 3m-high Quan Am (Avalokitesvara) Statue. Pho Da was famous for what was formerly named the Branch Central Institute of Buddhism Study. In 1961, its name was changed to Pho Da Pagoda. This is where many Buddhist monks and nuns of the province have been trained over the last three decades. Presently, the pagoda is also the location of the School of Basic Buddhism Study. 1.4.3 Temple of Caodaism in Da Nang The Holy See Temple of the Caodaism Central Association (The Central Hung Buu Holy See) was built in 1956 at 63 Hai Phong St., in Da Nang City. It is exactly like a miniature replica of the Tay Ninh Temple.Caodaism
  • first appeared in Viet Nam in the early years of the twentieth century in Tay Ninh. As such, Tay Ninh is considered to be the Holy Land of Caodaism. In the period between 1934-1960, Caodaism developed strongly and many temples were built from the south-eastern area to Thua Thien-Hue. The Caodaism Central Association manages 14 boroughs, including more than 60 temples. The temple shows the nu phai(female) character on its left door, which is for female followers, and thenam phai(male) character on its right door, which is for male followers. The Caodaist dignitaries enter through the middle door. Inside the main building, there are three phrases: Thien Nhan Hop Nhat (Heaven and Human are in harmony), Van Giao Nhat Ly (All religions are the same), and Thien Chan Vo Nga (The genuine meditation has no self). The altar, in the nine-story worshipping area, is dedicated to the Left Eye shining on the earth. On the upper side, there is a picture of a meeting in heaven of the first five leaders of the world's major religions: Lao Tse, Thich Ca Buddha, Jesus Christ, Confucius and Mohammed. Displayed on the back hall, are pictures of the predecessors of Caodaism. The first Caodaism follower was Mr. Ngo Minh Chieu. In the temple, the Caodaist dignitaries pray four times a day, at 6 am, noon, 6 pm, and midnight. 1.4.4 Son Tra Peninsula Situated at the entrance of Da Nang Harbour and acting as a screen protecting the city against winds and storms, Son Tra Peninsula is an ideal site of yellow sand beaches, historical remains, and rare bird and animal species. It is 13km from the centre of Da Nang City. Son Tra Peninsula is a natural ecological region rising 693m high from the sea level. From the top of Son Tra Peninsula, the magnificent panorama encompasses Da Nang City, the Marble Mountains and Ba Na Mountain.
  • At the foot of the Son Tra Mountain, it has seashore of 5km in length with many unspoiled and beautiful beaches such as Bai Bac, Bai But, Bai Xep, Tien Sa... among them, Tien Sa is considered as the best. The name of Tien Sa means female spirits descending from heaven, which was derived from a legend about female spirits who came here from heaven to bath. Son Tra also has an original forest of 4,370 ha, living many kinds of pre- cious and rare animals such as stag, monkey gibbon, orang-outang, Cha Va, red face cock. Son Tra is not only a natural conservation but also a highly potential eco- tourism resort of Da Nang. This is an ideal place to develop the sport tourism such as sea diving, stream bathing, fishing, and climbing... To get Son Tra Penisula, tourist can either drive along the 13km road from the centre of Da Nang City or buy a ticket for tourist boat (at Bach Dang Wharf, opposite to Champa Sculpture Art Museum). 1.5 Around Da nang 1.5.1 Hai Van Pass Hai Van Pass is situated on the road between Da Nang and Hue. From this site, there is a beautiful view with the sea in the distance, bringing the sensation of being in a paradise of clouds. Hai Van Pass has been a source of inspiration for many scholars and poets. 1.5.2 Marble Mountains The Marble Mountains, also called Ngu Hanh Son, are located approximately 8km southeast of Da Nang City, close to the sea. In the early 19* century, King Minh Mang (King of the Nguyen Dynasty), named the five mountains according to the five elements of nature: Kim
  • Son (metal), Moc Son (wood), Hoa Son (fire), Tho Son (earth) and Thuy Son (water). Of the five mountains, Thuy Son is both the largest and the most beautiful. It actually consists of three main peaks, Thuong Thai, Trung Thai and Ha Thai and it shelters Tam Thai Pagoda, as well as Linh Nham, Van Thong, Tang Chon and Huyen Khong grottoes. 1.5.3 Tam Thai Pagoda Tam Thai Pagoda was built on Thuong Thai peak in 1825 and has been restored several times since. Pho Dong Tower, Tu Tam Pagoda, and Vong Giang Dai (river-viewing pavilion) are located close to the pagoda. From Vong Giang Dai, visitors can see the Cam Le River meandering through the fields of Hoa Vang District. On the left of Tam Thai Pagoda is Huyen Khong Grotto, which has a fresh air chamber and numerous stalactites. 1.5.4 Linh Ung Pagoda Linh Ung Pagoda was built facing the sea on the diff of Thuy Son Mountain under the reign of King Minh Mang. It was rebuilt in 1970 with contributions from Buddhist followers. The pagoda houses a set of white stone statues. On the right of the pagoda is Vong Hai Dai (sea-viewing pavilion), which offers a clear view of Non Nuoc Beach. Tang Chon Grotto lies behind Linh Ung Pagoda. On the foot of the Marble Mountains, are the two villages of Quan Khai and Hoa Khue, that boast traditional marble carvings, such as bracelets, ashtrays, animal statues, etc.
  • 1.5.5 Tang Chon Grotto The grotto lies behind Linh Ung Pagoda on Thuy (Water) Mountain. It was discovered under the reign of Le Canh Hung (1740-1786). The main grotto is like a small valley with a length of 10 meters and a width of 7 meters. It communicates with the sky through Thien Long window. An altar of Thai Thuong Lao Quan stands in the middle of the grotto, an altar dedicated to Eight Varjas on the left and one dedicated to the god of Chiem Thanh on the right. Light through Thien Long window makes the grotto become more beautiful. Next to the main grotto are five smaller ones, including Tam Thanh, Gio Cave, Chiem Thanh, Ban Co, Ray Cave. Tam Thanh Grotto worships three gods, Thuong Thanh, Trung Thanh and Ha Thanh. Beside Tam Thanh is Gio (Wind) Cave; it is windy all the year around. Chiem Thanh Grotto has a shape of semi-circular, dedicated to the gods of Cham people. Ray Cave, five meters from the main grotto, has five-color stalactites. Ban Co (Chess board) Grotto was legendarily a place where fairies came to play chess on the stone set of table. Daylight reaches the chamber of the grotto, enhancing its beauty. 1.5.6 Non Nuoc Beach Non Nuoc Beach in Hoa Hai Ward, Ngu Hanh Son District, Da Nang City, is a green bow embracing the foot of Ngu Hanh Son Mountain. The white- sand beach stretches 5km long, bordering Dien Ngoc sea in the south and Bac My An sea in the north. This site is much suitable to sea sports, especially surfing. Non Nuoc Beach is also home to luxury hotels and resorts, including the famous high- grade resort, Furama, which always appears on Vietnamese tourist maps.
  • To Non Nuoc Beach, one can not only relax but also have opportunities to visit the Ngu Hanh Son scenic spots, ancient pagodas, old grottos, fine-art stone carving village or take a boat trip along the romantic Co Co River. 1.5.7 Non Nuoc Marble Carving village The marble-carving handicraft in Non Nuoc was founded in the 18* century by Mr. Huynh Ba Quat from Thanh Hoa Province. It used to be a side occupation, but since the 19th century it has been the main source of income for Hoa Hai Village (part of Non Nuoc Village). The raw materials are obtained from the Marble Mountains. Then, there are three steps to achieving the final product: sketching, detailed carving and polishing. A wide variety of articles are sculpted in marble, including Buddhist and saint statues, animals and bracelets. 1.5.8 Phong Nam village Located near National Highway 1, 10km south-west of Da Nang, Phong Nam Village has maintained many of its traditional characteristics. Several hundred-year-old remains, such as the communal house, temples, shrines, pagodas, wells and residences can still be seen in the village. Phong Nam is a popular spot for tourists who want to discover a traditional Vietnamese village. 1.5.9 Ba Na - Chua Mount Ba Na - Chua Mount is located in Hoa Vang District, 30km from the centre of Da Nang City. The mountain, which stands at the altitude of 1,487m above sea-level, has an average annual temperature that varies between - 20o C (62.6-68o F). Each of the four seasons appears within a single day in Ba Na: spring in the morning, summer at noon, autumn in the afternoon and winter at night.
  • One particular characteristic is that the clouds are at the mid-height of the mountain, so the peaks are always clear. Ba Na also possesses very beautiful forests with green pine hills. Nowadays, coming to this place, you can feel your interests with a lot of pretty villas, newly built hotels, and bungalows here. Each one has its own flower garden with many types of aristocratic flower that Frenchmen left during the past 50 years. A modem system of cable cars helps the visitors get a bird's-eye view, very miraculous and attractive while enjoying a feeling of flying in the blue sky amidst the clouds and wind. Da Nang Tourism Company will build the new resorts, including convalescence homes, a three-star hotel with 100 rooms and an area for private businesses' investment. These facilities would help reduce the overload of tourists during summer time, giving the visitors a feeling of being in a fairy-land they have never seen before. Enjoying nature they will feel relaxed and healthy and have peace of mind. However, Ba Na by night is more wonderful. You can attend a friendly camping fire; drink can wine, sing and dance comfortably around the warm fire in the coldish weather. All worries of life will likely disappear, giving place for pleasures and happiness. Every year, in the middle of July, the big tourism event Meeting at Ba Na" is held with many exciting and attracting activities such as Procession palanquin, Tug of war, Music and song, Exhibition of paints and pictures about Ba Na, displaying of birds-bonsai-fish, Calligraphy contest... 1.6 Festivals 1.6.1 Quan Am (Avalokitesvara) Festival on Ngu Hanh Son 18th to 20th day of the 2nd lunar month Quan Am (Avalokitesvara) Festival on Ngu Hanh Son, Da Nang is organized in 3 days ofthe second lunar month. Like other traditional festivals, Quan Am (Avalokitesvara) Festival on Ngu Hanh Son, Da Nang
  • consists of two parts: the religious ceremony and the festival itself. The former takes place with the rituals of Buddhism: The ceremony to worship spring with full rituals; The ceremony of beginning sutra chanting (this ceremony is to pray for peaceful country and the prosperous people); The ceremony of giving alms to the wandering souls; The preaching sessions (about culture, arts); Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva statue- procession. Activities at the festival: Camping, Boat race, Art performances, Light procession, Nighttime Lantern Festival and several other cultural activities. 1.6.2 Whale Festival Middle of the 3rd lunar month The festival takes place every year, for two days, in the middle of the third lunar month. It is celebrated as an act of respect for the spirits, and it is also linked to the prosperity of the fishing villages. On the first day of the festival, all the villagers place significant objects on a table to begin the Peace Ceremony, which is organized on the first night. The next morning, villagers take part in a water procession, accompanied by a music band and an ensemble of hat boi (Viet Nam traditional opera). During the two days of the festival, all ships and boats are anchored at the wharf. Quang Nam Province Area: 10,438.4 sq. km Population: 1,425.1 thousand habitants (2010) Capital: Tam Ky City
  • Administrative divisions: - City: Hoi An - Districts: Dai Loc, Dien Ban, Duy Xuyen, Nam Giang, Thang Binh, Que Son, Hiep Duc, Tien Phuoc, Phuoc Son, Nui Thanh, Bac Tra My, Nam Tra My, Tay Giang, Dong Giang, Phu Ninh, Nong Son. Ethnic groups: Viet (Kinh), Co Tu, Xo Dang, M'Nong, Co (Cor)... Geography Quang Nam is located in the middle of Central Vietnam and is surrounded by Thua Thien-Hue, Quang Ngai, and Kon Tum provinces. The Truong Son Mountains, Laos, and the East Sea also border the province. Quang Nam has various of mountains and hills (covers 72% its surface) with many high mountains such as Lum Heo Mountain of 2,045m, Tion Mountain of 2,032m, Gole- Lang Mountain of 1,855m... Main rivers run from Truong Son Range to East Sea as Vu Gia , Thu Bon, Tam Ky rivers. Climate Quang Nam's climate is influenced by monsoon. The annual average temperature is 250C. It is hot and dry from February to April and rainy from September to December. The average humidity is about 84%. The annual average rainfall is 2,000mm. The average sunny hours: 1,944 hours/years. Tourism Experiencing the ups and downs over the years, Quang Nam still preserves the unique historical and cultural remains of the past along with rich human values. Some of the typical cultural sites include: Hoi An Ancient Town, My Son Holy Land, Tra Kieu Old Champa Capital, Cham Towers in Khuong My and Chien Dan, which record the remains of Sa Huynh, Champa and the Dai Viet civilization.
  • During many wars, Quang Nam was one of the cradles of the revolutionary movement. Bo Bo, Nui Chua, Vinh Trinh, Cho Duoc, Chu Lai and underground tunnels of Ky Anh, the Ho Chi Minh Trail have gone down in history as the destinations for tourist to stop and visit the former battle fields. The province possesses 120km of coastline stretching form Dien Ngoc to Dung Quat with many beautiful, clean and deserted beaches. The beaches of Dien Duong, Cua Dai, Binh Minh, Tam Thanh, Ky Ha and Bai Rang together with the lake of Phu Ninh, the rivers of the Thu Bon and Truong Giang and the island of Cham are ideal tourist attractions. Hoi An Ancient Town and My Son Cham Towers have been recognized as World Cultural Heritage since 12/1999. Transportation Quang Nam Province is located in the middle of Vietnam, 860km from Hanoi, 947km from Ho Chi Minh City, and 108km from Hue City. The province is on the National Highway 1A, the South- North railway and on the route of Danang?- Quang Nam- Kon Tum - Gia Lai - Dak Lak - Dak Nong - Binh Phuoc. Hoi An is 32km from Danang and can be reached by car, bus or minibus. The tourist potential of Quang Nam is indeed great, as there are a variety of attractions to please all visitors. The province was founded in 1831, but has a much longer history since the Sa Huynh culture flourished in Quang Nam during the Iron Age, over 3,000 years ago. The first inhabitants of this region were the ancestors of the Cham people. Many majestic palaces, temples and military relics from the 1st to the 13th centuries still remain in the ancient capital of Tra Kieu, My Son...
  • The Cham towers in Bang An, Chien Dan and Khuong My are tokens of the excellent creative talents of the Cham people in music, art, customs, and festivities. As for Hoi An, it is one of the most ancient towns of Southeast Asia and it has luckily been kept almost intact until today. This province is home to the two World Cultural Heritage Sites of My Son and Hoi An. 1.7 Hoi An Ancient Town Hoi An is located 30km south of Da Nang along the Thu Bon River. Known as Faifo to early Western merchants, it was a major trading centre in Southeast Asia between the 16* and 17* centuries. Hoi An was also an important port for Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Chinese, Japanese and other merchant vessels from the Far East (later supplanted by Da Nang). In the city, several streets have been kept relatively intact. All the houses were made of wood and were decorated with horizontal lacquered boards and vertical parallel panels engraved with Chinese characters. Pillars were engraved with ornamental designs. The most ancient city of Southeast Asian has been declared by UNESCO as a World Cultural Heritage Site. 1.8 My Son sanctuary My Son Sanctuary is a group of temple-tow- ers of Cham people. It lies in a narrow valley in Duy Tan Commune, Duy Xuyen District, 70km southwest of Da Nang City, 20km away from the Tra Kieu Citadel, and 40km away from the ancient city of Hoi An. Various researches by archaeologists and architects have revealed that at the beginning, there was only one small wooden temple built by King Bhadresvara I in late 4* century. In the 7th century, King Sambhuvarman had it rebuilt, using more durable materials. From then on, successive
  • Cham Kings, when enthroned, had their temple-towers constructed as offerings to their gods. During seven centuries (7th to 14th century), such temple- towers mushroomed in My Son, turning this land into a cultural, and religious center of the Cham Kingdom. My Son was a complex of constructions, including different temple-towers and stela in various architectural styles. French researchers listed some 70 temple-towers there. However, time and war together have taken their toll on these relics. Now, only 20 temple- towers remain almost intact. The rest have been reduced to ruins. These vestiges are valuable treasures of information for studying the development of Cham culture. During its seven centuries of development, Cham arts produced many works equal to masterpieces of the world. Though less imposing than the Angkor in Cambodia and less diversified than the Pagan site in Myanmar, My Son is unique of its kind in Southeast Asia. With its great value, in December 1999, the My Son Sanctuary has been recognized as a World Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO. 1.9 Tourist Attractions 1.9.1 Japanese Covered Bridge The Japanese Covered Bridge, also called the Pagoda Bridge, was built in the 16th century and is still incredibly well-preserved. On the northern side of the bridge is a Japanese pagoda to protect sailors. There are statues of two dogs located at the western end of the bridge and two monkeys at the eastern end. It is said that the construction started in the year of the monkey and finished in the year of the dog, according to Chinese calendar. Other legend is said that the statues on the bridge might have been put .there by the Japanese to control this monster, since the dog and the monkey are sacred animals according to their Totem religion. 1.9.2 Assembly Hall of Cantonese Chinese Congregation The Assembly Hall of the Cantonese Chinese Congregation (Hoi Quan Quang Dong), located at 176 Tran Phu St. in Hoi An, was built in 1855 by
  • members of the local Cantonese community. It was later restored in 1915 and again in 1990. It was constructed according to the Chinese character "Quoc" and visitors will be amazed by its monumental and grand architecture in comparison with the other surrounding assembly halls. Many ancient objects still remain inside, including four horizontal lacquered boards engraved with Chinese characters, a large 1.6m-tall and 0.6m-wide bronze incense burner, a pair of Chinese porcelain enamelled terra-cotta chairs and many other precious objects that belonged to the Chinese community of Hoi An. The Assembly Hall is open daily from 6am - 7.30am and 1pm - 5.30pm. 1.9.3 Quan Cong Temple Located at 24 Tran Phu St., Quan Cong Temple is one of the typical temples in Hoi An's old quarter. Built in 1653, it was dedicated to Quan Thanh De Quan (Quan Van Truong), a general in the three-kingdom period of ancient China who was a model of loyalty to the king and a dutiful son to his parents. Quan Cong Temple was constructed according to the Chinese character Quoc", with many houses combined together. The houses are linked together by rafters, and roofed with colourful glazed pipe-shaped tiles. They are also decorated with colourful porcelain lemon-tree flowers, dragons and small lions. The temple was restored many times, in 1827, 1864, 1904 and 1966. Today, it still houses an archive of precious objects such as an honoured letter to the Emperor, 30 horizontal lacquered boards engraved with Chinese characters, 10 pairs of parallel sentences and the statues of Quan Cong, Quan Binh, and Chau Thuong.
  • 1.9.4 Phuoc Kien Assembly Hall Phuoc Kien Assembly Hall, also called Kim Son Pagoda, was built in Hoi An in 1692 by Chinese Phuoc Kien merchants. It has since been restored and enhanced many times. Because it was used for worship as well as for meetings by the Chinese from Phuoc Kien Province, this construction is now called the Phuoc Kien Assembly Hall. The Holy Mother and the Goddess of the Sea, Thien Hau, are worshipped in the main sanctuary. The Phuoc Kien ancestors and the God of Prosperity are worshipped in the sanctuary behind the main one. This temple is architecturally unique with its artistic ornaments and beautiful statues. The Chinese architectural style combined with Vietnamese workmanship has enriched it with Hoi An's cultural character. The Phuoc Kien Assembly Hall is located at 46 Tran Phu St. and is open from 7.30am to 12 noon and from 2pm to 5.30pm. 1.9.5 Tan Ky House Tan Ky House, at 101 Nguyen Thai Hoc Road, was constructed almost two centuries ago as the house of a Vietnamese merchant. It has always been lovingly preserved and now looks almost exactly as it did in the early 19th century. The design of Tan Ky House shows how local architecture incorporated Japanese and Chinese influences. Japanese elements include the crab shell-shaped ceiling support
  • 1.9.6 Thu Bon River 1.10 Around Hoi An 1.10.1 Kim Bong Carpentry 1.10.2 Thanh Ha Pottery 1.10.3 Phuoc Kieu Bronze Casting 1.10.4 Chuc Thanh Pagoda Situated in Cam Pho Ward, Hoi An City, Chuc Thanh Pagoda is approximately 2km from the centre of Hoi An City. Founded at the end of the 17th century by Monk Minh Hai, Chuc Thanh Pagoda was well known because it was there that the Thien Chuc Thanh chapter of the Thien Lam Te religion originated. Pilgrims come to Chuc Thanh Pagoda to worship Tam The Phat, Di Lac, and La Han. The pagoda was built in a combination of Chinese and Vietnamese architectural styles. It was renovated both in 1956 and 1964. Outside, is a statue of Quan The Am Bo Tat and the tombs of Minh Hai, Thiet Tho, An Bich, and Thien Qua monks. I To reach Chuc Thanh Pagoda from the centre of Hoi An, go along Nguyen Cong Tru ! Road for about 2km, then turn left and continue on a small path for 500m. It is open daily. 1.10.5 Phuoc Lam Pagoda Phuoc Lam Pagoda is located in the hamlet 2A, Cam Ha Commune, 2.5km north of centre Hoi An. The Phuoc Lam Pagoda belongs to Lam Te-Chuc Thanh Buddhist sect. It was built in ancient Asian architectural style, con- structed according to the Chinese character Mon". It consists of three chambers, two lean-tos and two bell towers. The pagoda was restored in 1822 and 1893.
  • Inside, are various precious ancient objects and statues. This is also where many famous Vietnamese Buddhist monks were trained before the 1975 war, such as the Bonze superiors Thich Tinh Khiet and Thich Giac Nhien and the Bonze superior I and II of Viet Nam Buddhism. To get to the pagoda, go along Nguyen Cong Tru Road, turn left at Ong Cop (Tiger) Shrine, and go west along a foot-path for about 1km. Phuoc Lam Pagoda is open daily. 1.10.6 Tra Kieu citadel Ancient capital of the Champa Kingdom (Simhapura Citadel), Tra Kieu is situated 45km southwest of Da Nang in Tra Kieu Village, Duy Son Commune. Unfortunately, Tra Kieu Citadel, also called Citadel of the Lion, has been heavily damaged by the effects of time. According to the ancient bibliography, the Simhapura Citadel was built in the 4th century under the King Bhadravaman. Imposing temples were dedicated to the Spirits. Most of the statues found on this site are now exhibited in Champa Sculpture Art Museum (Da Nang City). In the 1980s, the local inhabitants even found a collection of fine jewellery. 1.10.7 Tra Kieu Church Tra Kieu Church is situated in the old quarter of Tra Kieu, 45km south of Da Nang. It was built in 1722 at one location, and then transferred to its current site in 1865. In 1971, Priest Phero Le Nhu Hao built the present nave according to 17th century European architecture. Next to the church are the Love of the Cross Convent built in 1867, the Museum of Traditions and the Church of the Holy Mother located on a 60m hill.
  • 1.10.8 Chien Dan Tower Located in Tam An Commune, about 5km from the Tam Ky City, 60km south of Da Nang City, near the National Highway 1, Chien Dan Tower is a group of three towers built in the 11th or 12th century and dedicated to three deities of the Champa Kingdom: Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma. Today, at the site of the Chien Dan Tower, there is a showroom displaying Cham objects, including many high quality statues, which are fascinating to visitors and researchers alike. Most researchers classified Chien Dan sculptural works in Chanh Lo Style (11th century to early 12th century). 1.10.9 Cua Dai Beach Cua Dai belongs to Cam An Ward, Hoi An City, about 4km east of the Hoi An center along Highway 608. Formerly, this was the top busy trading port, called Faifo, in South Viet Nam. At present, Cua Dai is the largest sea tourist zone in Hoi An, with fine white sand-dunes, emerald water, small waves, sunlight and windy beach. Tourists can soak themselves in the healthy water, play with waves, have a sun-bath or rest, or take a poll along the beach while watching the endless waves softly slapping against the shore. To Cua Dai, you can live in a marine ecological zone with Vietnamese countryside landscape. Along the white sand dunes, Thang Loi Resort is build as a traditional fishing village with paths, ponds, and nice tile-roofed houses. Looking into a distance from Cua Dai, one can see the Cham Islet, a tourist attraction which takes a one-hour motor-boat trip from Cua Dai. With plenty of time, one can visit numerous craft villages, such as Kim
  • Bong (carpenter), Thanh Ha (ceramic), Phuoc Kieu (bronze casting), Tra Que (vegetable growing), etc. Here, you can enjoy many specialties of Hoi An. It is an unforgettable experience to take seafood served with fresh vegetables from Tra Que and high-quality rice liquor from Phuoc Trach. 1.10.10 Cu Lao Cham (Cham Island) The Cu Lao Cham also called Cham Islands, is situated approximately 20km from Hoi An city, in the East Sea. Covering an area of 15km2, this archipelago includes seven islands with evocative names: Hon Lao (Hon Ong), the largest and most populous; Hon Kho Me, Hon Kho Con, so called because of their arid soil; Hon Tai having an ear-shaped figure; Hon Dai, resembling a wave; Hon La, that of a boat and Hon Mo, the shape of a tomb. Three mountains rise from Cu Lao Cham; Ngoa Long, Bat Long and Tiem But. According to archaeologists, Cham islanders first settled there 3,000 years ago and established business contacts with external countries some 1,000 years ago. Up to now, Cu Lao Cham has preserved many architectural constructions which date back to the 18th - 20* century. They include the shrine dedicated to Than Yen Sao, built in 1843 at Bai Huong, and Hai Tang Pagoda, built in 1753 on the western hillside of Hon Lao. Still, Cu Lao Cham has more to offer. After a 3-hour canoe trip, one may hop over to the famed Well of the Cham people. Situated in a salty-water area, this square-bottom well, amazingly, provides clear fresh water all year round. Enjoyable extras include white-sand, pristine beaches and captivating attractions evocatively named Bai Ong, Bai Bim, Bai Chong, Bai Bac, Suoi Tinh, Cau Mo, Suoi Ong, and so on, where tourists can relax, go hunting, fishing - even fishing octopuses.
  • Travellers also have chances to view the sea swallows' nests clinging to the towering cliff. Cu Lao Cham wins kudos for its seafood and delicacies (octopuses, lobsters, fish's fin, abalone, kaki, hind, cholonia's eggs, birds' nests, etc.) and fascinating souvenirs (pearls, conches, tortoise-shells, etc.). Visitors to this island can enjoy the landscape, food and entertainment, as well as bathing in the fresh and pure environment. 1.10.11 Hon Kem - Da Dung attraction Hon Kem - Da Dung possesses two ranges of rocky mountains lying by the two banks of Thu Bon River in Que Lam and Que Phuoc Communes, Que Son District. The mountains feature many cliffs of strange shapes stretch- ing out and interfering with the flow of Thu Bon River. The attraction of Hon Kem - Da Dung does not only boast romantic scene of rivers and mountains, but particularly Champa scripts carved onto giant pieces of rock lying along Thu Bon River. This place can be reached by boat up from Hoi An and Vinh Dien with a visit to My Son World Heritage Site on the way, or overland from Que Son District through Deo Le (Le Pass) and Trung Phuoc Market, then by boat to the place. Visitors will pass beautiful landscape with majestic mountains and rivers, green mulberry and com fields, and crowded markets on rivers. Visitors can also go across the river at Trung Phuoc Market to visit a village called Dai Buong, which is famous in Quang Nam for its orchards. 1.11 Festivals 1.11.1 Madam Thu Bon Festival 12th of the 2M lunar month
  • Every year, the population of Thu Bon organizes a festival in honour of Madam Thu Bon, also called Madam Bo Bo. Ceremonies, boat races and hat boi (Vietnamese traditional opera) performances take place. 1.11.2 Long Chu Festival 15th of the 7th lunar month This festival of the boatmen living around Hoi An is believed to hold back epidemics and diseases in the transition of a season. It takes place in the communal house or in the administration house of the village. Long Chu is a royal boat, a symbol of divinity able to scare away epidemics and diseases. Therefore, the festival includes a procession to carry a royal bamboo-structured boat and fabric-paper elephant from the communal house to the river wharf and the launching of rafts and boats into the river and sea. Before the festival, sorcerers set up an incense table and perform exorcisms. Accompanying them is a procession of young folks holding spears and scimitars in order to dean up village roads and bushes, while singing alternate songs cheerfully. On the main festive day, the religious chief conducts a sacrificial service. After that, a procession begins to carry the royal boat around the village to drive away evil spirits, epidemics and diseases. On festive days, there is often bo, ho khoan, xo co singing performances and folk games. Local people flock to the festival, turning it into a jubilant event. 1.11.3 Cau Ngu Festival Cau Ngu Festival 1st of April The festival used to take place annually on a fine spring day on the Hoi An River, near Cua Dai estuary. Recently, its date has been changed to April
  • 1st jn commemoration of the historic visit of President Ho Chi Minh to Cat Ba fishing village in Quang Ninh Province on April 1st , 1959. Cau Ngu Festival conveys the fishermen's aspiration for bumper fish catches in the New Year to the Genie and Genie-Whale. The festival starts with solemn rituals, followed by traditional games and art performances such as singing and dancing, tug-of-war, boat racing, and so on. Boat racing is a typical activity of the people of Hoi An, and the coastal areas in general. It takes place at the yearly festival of Cau Ngu (Praying for Fish). It is very animated and exciting, and it attracts many professional boat teams in the locality, as well as pilgrims. The race is not only a competition of talents but also a great event of a sacred character, in which the local people pray for favorable weather, peace and prosperity.