Embed Size (px)
Find how to dispel three common career myths.
Transcript of Career Myths
- 1. Career Myths:Information and Resources Leslie Camacho, M.S.Ed., MCDP, & GCDF Assistant Director of Career Development Career Development Center Division of Adult and Continuing Education
3. Career Myths
- There is one perfect job for me.
- No one will hire me because I lack.
- Its to late to change my career.
4. Debunk Myths
- Expand your career options
- Find more possibilities
- Develop options
- Get the truth
- Talk to people
- Develop a plan
5. eCareer Information
- eTools for LaGuardia Students
- Get Information
- Seek Resources
- eCareer Central
- eCareer Plan
- Demand for educated and skilled workers is increasing.
- More education you have, less time spent unemployed.
- Clearer career goals will result in greater academic success.
7. Food for Thought
- I have discovered in life that there are ways of getting almost anywhere you want to go, if you really want to go .
- - Langston Hughes
- Acknowledge your talents
- Examine all the factors
- Make educated career decisions
- Use all resources available
9. Q&A 10. Thank You!
- Crosby, O. (2005).Career myths and how to debunk them. Occupational Outlook Quarterly.U.S. Department of Labor, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Fall 2005
- Charting the Projections: 2006-16 .(2007).Occupational Outlook Quarterly.U.S. Department of Labor, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Fall 2007
- Kellogg, A. P. & Tomsho, R.(2009).Obama Plans Community-College Initiative.Wall Street Journal Online.Site: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124753606193236373.html
- Shenk, J. W. (2009).What Makes Us Happy? Psychology Atlantic: June 2009 online.Site: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200906/happiness
- YODER, S. K. & YODER, I. S.(2009).Is It Too Soon to Think About a Career?The Wall Street Journal Online: September 6, 2009.Site: