Brew Your Own Beer
Embed Size (px)
Basic information on brewing beer.
Transcript of Brew Your Own Beer
- Brew Your Own BeerImpress your friends and colleagues with your new-found beer making knowledge,Over 640 Thirst Quenching Beer Recipes! Legal Notice: - This e-Text is otherwise provided to you "AS-IS". No other warranties of any kind, express or implied, are made to you as to the e-Text or any medium it may be on, including but not limited to warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The Author/Publisher assume no responsibility or liability whatsoever on the behalf of any purchaser or reader of these materials.
- Get your beer brewing kit from Amazon.com. Click on the linkabove to see what is available. Now you can brew your own beer with these recipes and your home beer brewing kit .
- Legal NoticeWe have used our best efforts in preparing this ebook and theaccompanying materials. We make no representation or warrantieswith respect to the accuracy, applicability, fitness, or completeness ofthe contents of this ebook. The information contained in this ebook isstrictly for informational purposes.This ebook doesnt come with any warranties (express or implied),merchantability, or fitness for any particular purpose. We shall in noevent be held liable to any party for any direct, indirect, punitive, special, incidental or other consequential damages arising directly or indirectly from any use of this material, which is provided as is, andwithout warranties.
- Brew Your Own Beer Brew Your Own Beer Australian RedBackCategory Wheat BeerRecipe Type All Grain7.75 lbs mix of 66% malted wheat extract and 33% barley1 lbs crystal malt (steeped, removed before boil)1 lbs amber unhopped dry malt extractHops 1.5 oz Kent Goldings hops (5.6% alpha) (60 minute.5 oz Kent Goldings (10 minute boil).5 oz Kent Goldings (5 minute boil).5 oz Kent Goldings (in strainer, pour wort through)Other .5 oz Irish moss (15 minute boil).75 oz Burton water saltsYeast 2 packs Doric ale yeast (started 2 hours prior to brew)Procedure My primary ferment started in 1 hour and was surprisingly vigorous for 36 hours. Itfinished in 48 hours. It has been fermenting slowly for 5 days and now has stopped blowing CO2through the airlock at any noticeable rate (less than 1 bubble every 3--4 minutes) I took ahydrometer reading last night and it read 1.018. This seems high for a F.G. in comparison to myother beers of the same approximate S.G.The last 1/2 ounce of hops was put in a strainer in a funnel and wort strained through it on its wayto the carboy, as described in Papazian. A blow-off tube was used. -4-
- Brew Your Own Beer Bass AleCategory Pale AleRecipe Type All GrainFermentables 6-7 lbs pale malt (2-row)1 lbs crystal malt1 lbs demarara or dark brown sugarHops 1 oz Northern Brewer hops (boil)1 oz Fuggles hops (boil 30 min.).5 oz Fuggles hops (finish)Yeast ale yeastProcedure This is an all-grain recipe---follow the instructions for an infusion mash in Papazian, oranother text. The Northern Brewer hops are boiled for a full hour, the Fuggles for 1/2 hour, andthe Fuggles finishing hops after the wort is removed from the heat, it is then steeped 15 minutes. -5-
- Brew Your Own Beer Blackout Brown AleCategory Brown AleRecipe Type All GrainFermentables 7 lbs Klages malt.25 lbs chocolate malt.25 lbs black patent malt.5 lbs 80 L. crystal malt.75 cup corn sugar (priming)Hops 1 oz Willamette hops (3.8% alpha) (boil 60 minutes)4/5 oz Perle hops (8.5% alpha) (boil 30 minutes).5 oz Willamette hops (3.8% alpha) (dry hop)Other.5 tsp Irish moss (boil 15 minutes)Yeast Wyeast English ale yeastProcedure I use Papazians temperature-controlled mash (30 minutes at 122, 90 minutes at 155--145, sparge at 170). Total boil time was 1 hour. Cool and pitch yeast. After 6 days, rack tosecondary and dry hop. One week later, prime and bottle -6-
- Brew Your Own Beer British BitterCategory Pale AleRecipe Type ExtractFermentables 5 to Alexanders pale malt extract.5 lbs crystal maltHops 1-1/4 oz Cascade hops (boil).25 oz Cascade hops (finish)Other10 oz dextrose (optional)Yeast Munton & Fison ale yeastProcedure Steep crystal malt and sparge twice. Add extract and dextrose and bring to boil. AddCascade hops and boil 60 minutes. In last few minutes add remaining 1/4 ounce of Cascade (ordry hop, if desired). Chill and pitch yeast. -7-
- Brew Your Own Beer Carp AleCategory Pale AleRecipe Type ExtractFermentables 3 lbs Munton & Fison light DME3 lbs M&F amber DME1 lbs crystal maltHops 2.6 oz Fuggles hops (4.7% alpha= 12.22 AAU)1 oz Kent Goldings hops (5.9% alpha = 5.9 AAU)Other1/4 tsp Irish mossYeast 1 pack Brewers Choice #1098 (British ale yeast)Procedure Break seal of yeast ahead of time and prepare a starter solution about 10 hours beforebrewing.Bring 2 gallons water to boil with crushed crystal malt. Remove crystal when boil starts. Fill to 6gallons and add DME. After boiling 10 minutes, add Fuggles. At 55 minutes, add a pinch of Irishmoss. At 58 minutes, add Kent Goldings. Cool (I used an immersion chiller) to about 80 degrees.Pitch yeast and ferment for about a week. Rack to secondary for 5 days. Keg. -8-
- Brew Your Own Beer GranolabrauCategory Pale AleRecipe Type All GrainFermentables 6 lbs 6-row cracked pale malt1 lbs white or brown rice1 lbs yellow corn grits or flaked maize6 oz flaked barley4 oz oatmeal1.5 lbs clover or orange blossom honeyOther4 oz milletYeast Wyeast German ale yeast (#1007)Procedure Cook rice, grits, oatmeal and millet together in plenty of water for 3 hours to gelatinize.The result should be a mushy, gummy mess.Mash malt, barley and gelatinized grains in moderately hard water at 150F for 1-1/2 hours. Raiseto 168F to deactivate enzymes. Sparge with hot water (168F) to collect 250+ degrees of extract(e.g., 6 gallons at S.G. 1.042).Boil 1-1/2 hours, adding all but 1/2 ounce of hops after 1 hour, honey towards end of boil. Chillwort and add cold water to bring S.G. to 1.050. Pitch with working starter. Dry-hop with reservedhops in hopping bag. Primary fermentation takes 5-7 days. Wyeast 1007 will require 3-4 weeks insecondary fermenter to settle out. Bottle, then age 2 months. Drink and enjoy! -9-
- Brew Your Own Beer Honey BasilCategory Spiced BeersRecipe Type All GrainI have brewed this beer, 4 times this year, each time changing the recipe. This one was a goodone. It won best of show, 1996 Oregon Homebrewing festival in Albany,OR.Fermentables 8 lbs pale malt3 lbs. crystal(40L)4 lbs. munich1 lb. honeyHopsMt Hood 1 oz. boilMt Hood 1 oz 45 minutesOther1 oz. FRESH basilYeast Wyeast American ale # 1056Procedure Mash at 122 F. for 20 minutes, 150 F. for 45 minutes. Add honey and basil at the endof the boil.Simple Wheat BeerCategory Wheat BeerRecipe Type ExtractFermentables6.6 lbs wheat malt extractHops1 oz Hallertauer hops (boil 60 minutes)Yeast Wyeast Bavarian wheat yeastProcedure Boil extract and hops. Dump in fermenter with enough cold water to make 5 gallons.Pitch yeast. - 10 -
- Brew Your Own Beer Pale AleCategory Pale AleRecipe Type ExtractFermentables 3.3 lbs light M&F DME3 lbs light unhopped M&F malt extract1 lbs crystal maltHops2 oz Willamette hopsYeast Wyeast #1007Procedure Started yeast 48 hours prior to brew. Used 1 cup DME boiled in 2 cups water forprimer.1 ounce Willamette at start of boil 1, ounce at end. Boiled 1/2 hour, sat 1/2 hour, strained intoprimary, pitched yeast, fermented at 78 in primary for 1 week, secondary for 2 weeks. Usedbottled water because my water has a high concentration of calcium and no cholorine. - 11 -
- Brew Your Own Beer Northern LightsCategory Pale AleRecipe Type All GrainFermentables 13 lbs 2--row pale malted barley2 lbs 20L crystal malt1 lbs wheat maltHops 2 oz Cascade leaf hops (boil).5 oz Perle leaf hops (boil).5 oz Fuggles leaf hops (boil)1 oz Chinook leaf hops (boil).5 oz Chinook leaf hops (finish).5 oz Fuggles leaf hops (finish)1 oz Northern Brewer hops pellets (dry hop inOther 1 lbs corn flakessecondary),Yeast Wyeast German ale yeast #1007Procedure I did a step mash, following normal procedure. - 12 -
- Brew Your Own Beer Simple Wheat BeerCategory Wheat BeerRecipe Type ExtractFermentables6.6 lbs wheat malt extractHops1 oz Hallertauer hops (boil 60 minutes)Yeast Wyeast Bavarian wheat yeast Procedure Boil extract and hops. Dump in fermenter withenough cold water to make 5 gallons. Pitch yeast.Snail Trail Pale AleCategory Pale AleRecipe Type All GrainIve been busy trying to make the perfect IPA. H