Boudreau #CZC2014 - Educating the Public Panel
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Boudreau #CZC2014 - Educating the Public Panel
- Personal Confession: I am a technophile Email since 1994 - Facebook user since 2007 Presently Use: Facebook Twitter Linkedin Lanyrd Youtube Tumbr Etc., etc., etc.
- Social Media Implementations Facebook Twitter Linkedin Youtube Wikipedia TED Talks Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) Etc. Etc. Etc.
- Key Aspects (generally) Free Universally accessible Requires content and contact Social everyone can participate
- The Power of Social Media: Its Social! WE NEED: Facts and figures BUT: Humans are social by nature. We are influenced by what other humans do. SO: Social media allows one to overcome barriers: Geograhic separation - connect around the world Socio-econmomic separation - connect with academics, managers, fishers, 1st Nations, etc., etc., etc. Language differences
- TED Talks Technology, Entertainment, Design Video deliver of short presentations Watched one billion times worldwide Engaging, entertaining, accessible BUT:
- Are TED Talks Working? Benjamin Bratton, Associate Profesor of Visual Arts, University of Califoria, San Diego http://www.linkedin.com/in/bratton http://youtu.be/Yo5cKRmJaf0
- Can Social Media Play a Role? Maybe Yes: Deliver facts, figures, pictures, videos etc. Connects people Maybe No: Risks being just entertainment without impact Needs content and engagement Can it influence people to change?????
- Social media needs to be Social Content Distribution PEOPLE participating