Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Bikini Atoll
Jordan KiwaczMartin Shea
• In July 1947, after the first atomic weapons testing at Bikini Atoll, the United States entered into an agreement with the United Nations to govern the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands as a strategic trusteeship territory.
• trusteeship territory consisted of 20,000 islands over 3,000,000 miles over North pacific on July 23, 1947
• Testing occurred between 1946 and 1962
• Many Islands that were bombed still had inhabitants living there, the nuclear Fallout effected many that were not devastated by the bombs initial impact
Nukes were and are
Bikini Atoll• Bikini Atoll consists of 23 islands
Bikini Atoll• "Bikini Atoll has conserved direct
tangible evidence .. conveying the power of .. nuclear tests, i.e. the sunken ships sent to the bottom of the lagoon by the tests in 1946 and the gigantic Bravo crater.... Through its history, the atoll symbolises the dawn of the nuclear age, despite its paradoxical image of peace and of earthly paradise.“
-UNESCO World Heritage Centre
• Bikini Atoll was the site of twenty three nuclear weapons tests between 1946 and 1958.
• Fallout spread through the air and water in this region, spreading radiation and radioactive contamination.
Godzilla• 23 crewmembers
of the Japanese fishing boat observed the nuclear testing. This created a political scandal in Japan that would inspire the premise for the movie Godzilla.
• In 1968 the United States declared Bikini habitable and started bringing people back to their homes in the early 1970s. But, in 1978 the islanders were removed again when strontium-90 in their bodies reached dangerous levels.