Beware of Greenwashing
Embed Size (px)
Presentation regarding the dangers of greenwashing in marketing
Transcript of Beware of Greenwashing
- 1. FORT LAUDERDALE JACKSONVILLE MIAMI PALM BEACH STUART TALLAHASSEE VERO BEACH WEST PALM BEACH Greenwashers Beware Heed the Green Guides Advice By: Gaida Zirkelbach, Esq.
- 2. FORT LAUDERDALE JACKSONVILLE MIAMI PALM BEACH STUART TALLAHASSEE VERO BEACH WEST PALM BEACH
- 3. FORT LAUDERDALE JACKSONVILLE MIAMI PALM BEACH STUART TALLAHASSEE VERO BEACH WEST PALM BEACH
- 4. Greenwashing: misleading consumers regarding environmental practices or benefits through marketing
- 5. Potential Legal Trouble for Greenwashers Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act (the FTC Act) The Lanham Act Common law State deceptive trade practices acts The Securities and Exchange Act
- 6. Section 5 of the FTC Act Prohibits unfair or deceptive trade practices Deceptive practice: likely to mislead reasonable consumers material to their decision to buy or use the products Unfair practice: causes substantial consumer industry not reasonably avoidable not outweighed by the benefits to consumers or competition
- 7. The FTCs Green Guides General principles applying to all environmental marketing claims truthful accurate fully substantiated Guidance on specific green claims biodegradable, compostable, recyclable, recycled content, and ozone safe Administrative Interpretations
- 8. Updated Green Guides Because of the proliferation of green claims in the marketplace changes in the marketplace and consumer perception of environmental claims Workshops carbon offsets and renewable energy certificates green packaging claims green building and textiles
- 9. Enforcement Actions Imminent No enforcement actions for environmental claims since 2000 Currently investigating a variety of environmental product claims Violations can result in: civil penalties criminal penalties injunctive relief restitution
- 10. Only .05% of green advertisements (1 in 1753) are not either patently false or risk misleading audiences* * according to GreenBiz.com
- 11. How to Avoid Greenwashing? Tell the Truth Be Accurate Prove It Look for Concerns
- 12. FORT LAUDERDALE JACKSONVILLE MIAMI PALM BEACH STUART TALLAHASSEE VERO BEACH WEST PALM BEACH Greenwashers Beware Heed the Green Guides Advice By: Gaida Zirkelbach, Esq.