Awesome Quotes from Creativity Incâ€”Inspirational Quotes from Ed Catmull
Embed Size (px)
21 Inspirational quotes from Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull, founder of Pixar Studios. These quotes come from what is perhaps the best book about managing creative people and companies.
Transcript of Awesome Quotes from Creativity Incâ€”Inspirational Quotes from Ed Catmull
- 1. 21 Awesome Quotes from Creativity Inc. by Ed Catmull
- 2. For all the care you put into artistry, visual polish frequently doesnt matter if you are getting the story right.
- 3. Whatever these forces are that make people do dumb things, they are powerful, they are often invisible, and they lurk even in the best of environments.
- 4. If you give a good idea to a mediocre team, they will screw it up. If you give a mediocre idea to a brilliant team, they will either fix it or throw it away and come up with something better.
- 5. People need to be wrong as fast as they can. In a battle, if youre faced with two hills and youre unsure which one to attack, the right course of action is to hurry up and choose. If you find out its the wrong hill, turn around and attack the other one.
- 6. Its folly to think you can avoid change, no matter how much you might want to. But also, to my mind, you shouldnt want to. There is no growth or success without change.
- 7. When it comes to creative endeavors, the concept of zero failures is worse than useless. It is counterproductive.
- 8. In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism, designating it so
- 9. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends.
- 10. Fear of changeinnate, stubborn, and resistant to reasonis a powerful force. In many ways, it reminded me of musical chairs: We cling as long as possible to the perceived safe place that we already know, refusing to loosen our grip until we feel sure another safe place awaits.
- 11. The unpredictable is the ground on which creativity occurs.
- 12. To think you can control or prevent random problems by making an example of someone is nave and wrongheaded.
- 13. Disney employees attempted to keep his spirit alive by constantly asking themselves, What would Walt do? Perhaps they thought that if they asked that question they would come up with something original, that they would remain true to Walts pioneering spirit
- 14. In fact, this kind of thinking only accomplished the opposite. Because it looked backward, not forward, it tethered the place to the status quo.
- 15. No onenot Walt, not Steve, not the people of Pixarever achieved creative success by simply clinging to what used to work. The past should be our teacher, not our master.
- 16. When filmmakers, industrial designers, software designers, or people in any other creative profession merely cut up and reassemble what has come before, it gives the illusion of creativity, but it is craft without art. Craft is what we are expected to know; art is the unexpected use of our craft.
- 17. Companies, like individuals, do not become exceptional by believing they are exceptional but by under-standing the ways in which they arent exceptional.
- 18. You cant manage what you cant measure is a maxim that is taught and believed by many in both the business and education sectors. But in fact, the phrase is ridiculoussomething said by people who are unaware of how much is hidden. A large portion of what we manage cant be measured, and not realizing this has unintended consequences.
- 19. As the composer Philip Glass once said, The real issue is not how do you find your voice, but getting rid of the damn thing.
- 20. It is difficult sometimes to tell the difference between what is impossible and what is possible (but requires a big reach). At a creative company, mistaking one for the other can be fatalbut getting it right elevates.
- 21. To keep a creative culture vibrant, we must not be afraid of constant uncertainty. We must accept it, just as we accept the weather. Uncertainty and change are lifes constants. And thats the fun part.
- 22. Trust doesnt mean that you trust that someone wont screw upit means you trust them even when they do screw up.
- 23. Our problem as managers in creative environments is to protect new ideas from those who dont understand that in order for greatness to emerge, there must be phases of not-so greatness. Protect the future, not the past.
- 24. Want to learn more? Click this link to buy the book: Creativity, Inc.
- 25. Want more inspiring quotes? Check out our blog at: Logomaker.com
- 26. And check out our other presentations: Click the pictures to open them.
- 27. Credits: All quotes from Creativity, Inc by Ed Catmull. All images are the property of Pixar or Disney Studios.