Avoiding Failed SharePoint Deployments: SharePoint Worst Practices
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Avoiding Failed SharePoint Deployments: SharePoint Worst Practices
- 1. Joel Oleson
SharePoint Worst Practices: Anatomy of a Failed Deployment
2. Who is SharePoint Joel?
10 Years of SharePoint
7 Years of SharePoint at MS
Blogger, Speaker, Writer
SharePoint Product Architect, Evangelist & Strategy @ Quest
3. I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine what you did as success.
4. I dont need the community to succeed
5. 6. In April 2008 James Karl Buck, and his translator were detained covering anti-government protest in Egypt. Buck managed tweet simply arrested. less than 24 hours later he was able to tweet: free.
- Claims based authentication with Excel Services and Office Web Apps
8. Profile Import and FIM (Forefront Identity Manager) security requirements 9. http://bit.ly/hdfVhL 10. December CU Fixes Important!#SP2010 Deployment Gotchas!
11. The Story of the Vasa the Greatest Military Ship
12. Initially declared sank due to "imprudence and negligence
It was TOP HEAVY!
13. We Dont Know Why We are Doing SharePoint but someone asked for it, so we do it!
14. SharePoint is Plastic. What is your Creation?
15. Live by the K.I.S.S. PrincipleKeep it Simple Stupid!
16. We dont need training
17. Two Very Different Models for Hosting
SharePoint as an
SharePoint as a
Easy to Move to Cloud
On Premise High Business Value
18. Let me optimize the SharePoint Databases
19. We dont need a test environment. It costs too much!
20. SharePoint Life Cycle
21. One Site Collection Can Fit Everything
22. Permanent Central Portal
Permanent Division Portals
Division News, Scorecards
Group, Team, Project
Ad Hoc Self
w/ Life Cycle
The SharePoint Pyramid
23. SharePoint is so awesome, so were dumping all our File Shares, Notes, and PFs data
24. There are many tools & solutions with Analysis to help you migrate from Lotus Notes, File Shares, and Public Folders
25. SharePoints Social Features will waste peoples Time
26. Social Computing in SharePoint 2010 Makes Sense
27. Forced orTrying to beThe One ManBand
28. 29. Why do we need sandbox solutions when we can create server solutions that are so much easier?
30. Lets turn it all on and see what happens
31. What Service Applications will you use?
32. 33. 2010 SharePoint Services and Databases
34. Service Apps Local Only
35. Service Apps Farm to Farm + WANHTTPS WCF + XML
36. Joels Thoughts on Service Apps
37. We are using In-Place Upgrade because we dont want to lose anything.
38. Released to the Web
SharePoint 2010: Best Practices for Upgrading and Migrating
Get Prescriptive guidance on Upgrade Methods
Drill deep into assessment tools
Compare Migration tools
Save yourself time
39. Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure.
It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default.
J. K. Rowling
40. Questions?Dont forget your evals