April Executive Committee Cloud & DevOps...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of April Executive Committee Cloud & DevOps...
Cloud & DevOps ProgramApril Executive Committee
April 30, 2015 Thursday 3:00-4:00 p.m. 50 Church St., CR-385
• Meeting Purpose and Intended Outcomes (5 min)
• Vision and Goals (10 min)
• Program Governance Structure (5 min)
• Imagine If … (15 min)
• Program Overview “Placemat” (10 min)
• Cloud & DevOps Executive Status Dashboard (5 min)
PurposeTo provide the Cloud & DevOps Executive Committee with an initial overview of the program and to highlight Cloud & DevOps since the program’s inception.
• Discuss the program’s vision and goals
• Review the program governance structure
• Discuss future cloud benefits
• Provide an overview of the program structure
• Report current program status
Meeting Purpose and Intended Outcomes
Objectives Guiding Principles Key Performance Indicators
The Vision for the Cloud & DevOps Program
1. We are committed to staff growth and development as we pursue program goals
2. We will ensure close collaboration between the program and other HUIT teams to maintain high levels of existing services
3. Improving deployment methods and processes are as important as the technologies we use
4. Consistent architectural and design patterns are critical to achieving enterprise-level results
5. Communicating with all employees, partners, and customers is crucial to program awareness and understanding
To improve HUIT’s delivery of information technology solutions to the Harvard Community, we will employ new methodologies, tools, and processes that will enable us to simplify and deliver higher-quality
solutions with improved robustness and resiliency in a more timely manner.
1. Develop training to transition staff from administrator roles to cloud and DevOps engineering roles
2. Lead staff transition process and create an empowered, service-focused culture
3. Implement application design and deployment patterns to maximize consistency, quality, and reliability
4. Migrate existing app workloads with a goal of 75% of existing compute from on-premise data centers to the public cloud
5. Establish operational toolsets and processes to ensure operational effectiveness, awareness, and partnership with service teams
1. Percentage of HUIT employees who have successfully completed Cloud & DevOps training
2. Percentage of total apps migrated to cloud providers
3. Improved app availability from monitoring (uptime percentage)
4. Successful DR testing processes in place — average time to recovery for migrated applications
5. Percent deployment rollbacks
6. Cost of deployment solutions compared with onsite measurement
Harvard’s Cloud & DevOps Vision
Program Governance Structure
Chair: Anne Margulies
Program Executive Committee
Senior Leadership Team• Ben Gaucherin, Deputy CIO• Jason Snyder• Jim Waldo• Bob Wittstein, ATS• Sue Walsh, BCDR• Tracey Robinson, LTS
• Erica Bradshaw, Chair• Joe Bruno • Steve Martino• Magnus Bjorkman
• Cloud & DevOps Big Group• Integrated Monitoring
The primary objective of the Cloud and DevOps Program Executive Committee is to provide consistent, timely, and meaningful oversight for optimizing the delivery and transition of HUIT applications to the cloud.
The committee will identify and champion organizational change management processes, provide program oversight, and guide strategy for application migrations and staff transitions into new roles.
• Joel Fanton• Bill Knox• Jefferson Burson• Scott Bradner
• Karen Pemstein• Christine Oteri
• HUIT Software Development Committee
• Service Management, ITSM• Human Resources
• HUIT Finance• Architectural Advisory Group• BCDR
Program Team• Erica Bradshaw• Joe Bruno• Steve Martino
Partners• Julie Broad, Alumni
HR• Nicole Breen
Please see the handout for more details on “The Case for the Cloud.”
Imagine If ...
Please see the handout for the most recent version of the Cloud & DevOps Program Overview.
Program Overview “Placemat”
Please see the handout for the most recent version of the Cloud & DevOps Executive Status Dashboard.
Cloud & DevOps Executive Status Dashboard
Appendix: Migration Roadmap (Approx. 600 Apps)
Appendix: Applications Retired or Retiring (122)
Appendix: Migrated Applications (89)