Antiques & Auction News 010413
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Antiques & Auction News 010413
ANTIQUES NEWS, P.O.BOX 500MOUNT JOY, 17552
ADDRESS SERVICE REQUESTED
Published Weekly By Joel Sater Publicationswww.antiquesandauctionnews.net
VOL. 44, NO. 1FRIDAY JANUARY 4, 2013
n May of 2012, The BarnesFoundation celebrated thelong-anticipated opening of
its new campus in the heart ofPhiladelphia, as leadership, sup-porters and community represen-tatives gathered on the park-likegrounds for a festive dedicationceremony. Ten days of free admis-sion followed. The inaugural weekculminated with a Memorial Dayfestival weekend, featuring a vari-ety of entertainment and programsand offering round-the-clock free
admission to the renowned collec-tion and entire campus. It was afitting opening for a collection thathas wowed seasoned and noviceart lovers for decades.
The legendary Barnes art col-lection is displayed within a12,000-square-foot gallery thatpreserves the scale, proportion andconfiguration of the originalMerion, Pennsylvania, gallery, aswell as the founders conceptionof a visual interplay between artand nature.
Albert C. Barnes was born in aworking-class neighborhood ofPhiladelphia in 1872. Intelligentand highly motivated, he graduat-ed from the University of
Pennsylvania medical school in1892 and continued his educationin Germany, where he studiedchemistry. While working for theH. K. Mulford pharmaceutical
company in Philadelphia, he andhis German colleague HermannHille co-invented the silver-basedantiseptic Argyrol, which becamethe basis of Barness fortune. InJune 1901 Barnes married LauraLeggett of Brooklyn, New York.The couple built a new home,which they called Lauraston, onUnion Avenue (now Latchs Lane)in Merion, Pennsylvania, in 1905.In 1907, Barnes bought out Hillesshare of the Barnes and HilleCompany, and in 1908 he estab-
lished the A. C.Barnes Companyin Philadelphia,which he continuedto run until 1929.Barnes organizedhis employeeswork day toinclude a two-hourseminar, in whichthey discussed thewritings of WilliamJames, GeorgeSantayana, andJohn Dewey, andexamined originalworks of art.
Barness inter-est in art led to aresumption of hisfriendship with anold high-schoolfriend, artistWilliam Glackens.In 1912, Barnessent Glackens toParis to scout the
galleries for Modern paintings.Glackens bought close to thirtyworks on Barness behalf.Subsequently, relying primarily onhis own eye, Barnes acquired an
outstanding collection ofImpressionist, Post-Impressionistand early Modern paintings;medieval manuscripts and sculp-tures; Old Master paintings;Native American fine crafts; EarlyAmerican furniture and decorativeart; and ancient Egyptian, Greekand Roman art. He was also anearly and influential collector ofAfrican sculpture.
In 1917, Barnes enrolled in apost-graduate philosophy seminarat Columbia University taught byJohn Dewey. Barnes and Deweybecame close friends and ideolog-ical collaborators, whose corre-spondence eventually spannedmore than three decades. Inspiredby Deweys theories of experien-tial education, learning by doingand social transformation, Barnesdecided to expand his factory sem-inars into a more advanced experi-ment in education.
In October 1922, Barnes pur-chased a twelve-acre arboretum,established in 1880 by CaptainJoseph Lapsley Wilson that stooddown the road from Lauraston. Afew months later, on December 4,1922, he received a charter from theCommonwealth of Pennsylvania toestablish the Barnes Foundation, aneducational institution dedicated topromoting the appreciation of fineart and horticulture.
Barnes hired the noted archi-tect Paul Philippe Cret to design a
A Tradition Of Beauty & Culture ContinuesAt Newest Barnes Foundation Campus
(Continued on page 2)
PRSRT STDU.S. POSTAGE
PAIDENGLE PUBLISHING CO.
The Garden Restaurant. Photo by Ryan Donnell.2012 The Barnes Foundation
Room 13. Photo by Ryan Donnell. 2012 The Barnes Foundation
Reading the Gallery Guide. Photo by Ryan Donnell.2012 The Barnes Foundation
www.antiquesandauctionnews.net2 - - Antiques & Auction News January 4, 2013
residence and a gallery on thearboretum grounds. TheBarnes Foundation was offi-cially dedicated on March 19,1925.
Barness intended audi-ence for the Foundationincluded factory and shopworkers, poor and disenfran-chised people, African-Americans and young artists.The Barnes educationalmethod was based on experi-encing original works, partic-ipating in class discussions,reading key texts in philoso-phy and the traditions of art,and looking objectively at theuse of color, line, light andspace in each work of art.Barnes believed that studentswould not only learn aboutart, but also would improvetheir critical thinking andtheir ability to learn and suc-ceed in general, enabling
them to be more productiveparticipants in a democraticsociety.
In 1940, Barnes pur-chased an eighteenth-centuryfieldstone farmhouse, whichhe named Ker-Feal, situatedon almost 138 acres of mixedfarmland and forest inChester County,Pennsylvania. In the historic
house, Barnes intended tocreate a living museum ofart and to develop a botanicalgarden, which wouldbecome part of theFoundations educationalmission.
Barnes struggled foryears with questions aboutthe eventual disposition ofhis Foundation, includingwhether it should remain anindependent organization orbe affiliated with an estab-lished institution of learning
such as the University ofPennsylvania. In 1947,Barnes made a donation toLincoln University, a small,historically black college inChester County,Pennsylvania, which was thebeginning of an associationbetween the Foundation andthe college. In 1951, Barnesamended the Foundationsby-laws so that, eventually,Lincolns board of trusteeswould nominate four of thefive members of the Board ofTrustees of the BarnesFoundation.
On the afternoon of July24, 1951, with his dog,Fidle, sitting at his side,Barnes drove off from Ker-Feal for an appointment atthe Foundation in Merion.On a rural road in ChesterCounty, a truck slammed intoBarness automobile, killinghim instantly.
After Barness death,Laura L. Barnes succeededher husband as President ofthe Foundation. Withinmonths, the Foundation wasembroiled in litigation. InFebruary 1952, PhiladelphiaInquirer editor Harold J.Wiegand brought suit in statecourt, arguing that the BarnesFoundation should be open tothe public without priorappointment. (At the time,visitors were required tomake an appointment inadvance and obtain an admis-sion card.) The case was dis-missed, and the PennsylvaniaSupreme Court affirmed thedecision in 1953. The subjectarose again in April 1958,however, when PennsylvaniaAttorney General Anne X.Alpern, along with DeputyAttorney General Lois G.Forer, petitioned theMontgomery CountyOrphans Court to compel theopening of the BarnesFoundations galleries to thepublic. Again the case wasdismissed, but this time the
ruling was overturned bythe PennsylvaniaSupreme Court. TheFoundation signed a con-sent decree on December19, 1960, agreeing toopen to the public onFridays and Saturdays ona first-come, first-servedbasis.
On September 24,2002, the BarnesFoundation announcedthat it would petition theMontgomery CountyOrphans Court for per-mission to expand itsboard of trustees andmove its gallery collec-tion to Philadelphia,where the Foundationwould construct a newbuilding. On December15, 2004, the courtapproved the petition.Camp resigned in 2005,and in 2006 Derek
Gillman was appointedExecutive Director andPresident. The announcementof the selection of TodWilliams Billie TsienArchitects as architects forthe new building and 4.5 acrecampus on the BenjaminFranklin Parkway was madein September 2007, and onNovember 13, 2009, a formalgroundbreaking ceremonywas held.
The Foundations new
93,000-square-foot buildingconceived as a gallery with-in a garden and a gardenwithin a gallery, is set with-in a four-and-a-half-acre sitewith landscape design byOLIN.
While the new campus onthe Benjamin FranklinParkway enables theFoundation to relax previousrestrictions on public visita-tion, admissions are timed so
View from Pennsylvania Avenue. The Barnes Foundation,Philadelphia. (March 2012)Tom Crane 2012
(Continued from page 1)
Paul Czanne, French, 1839-1906. Mont Sainte-__Victoire (LaMontagne Sainte-__Victoire), 1892-1895. Oil on canvas, 3/4 x 36-1/4 in. (73 x 92 cm). Photo: 2012 The Barnes Foundation
Pierre-Auguste Renoir, French,1841-1919. Young Mother (Jeunemre), 1881. Oil on canvas, 47-3/4 x33-3/4 in. (121.3 x 85.7 cm). Photo: 2012 The BarnesFoundation
Edgar Degas, French, 1834-1917. Group of Dancers(Groupe de danseuses), c. 1900.Oil pastel on paper, 22-3/4 x16-1/8 in. (57.8 x 41 cm). Photo: 2012 The BarnesFoundation
William James Glackens, American, 1870-1938. Race Track,1908-1909. Oil on canvas, 26-1/8 x 32-1/4 in. (66.4 x 81.9 cm). Photo: 2012 The Barnes Foundation
Paul Czanne, French, 1839-1906. The Card Players (LesJoueurs de cartes), 1890-1892. Oil on canvas, 53-1/4 x 71-5/8 in.(135.3 x 181.9 cm). Photo: 2012 The Barnes Foundation
Paul Czanne, French, 1839-1906. Still Life (Nature morte),1892-1894. Oil on canvas, 28-3/4 x 36-3/8 in. (73 x 92.4 cm).Photo: 2012 The Barnes Foundation
Newest BarnesFoundation Campus
( ) PAYMENT ENCLOSED ( ) CHARGE TO: # Exp. Date Name Address City State Zip Area Code ( ) Phone Date Where did you pick up this copy of Antiques & Auction News ( ) COLLECTOR ( ) DEALER ( ) AUCTIONEER ( ) SHOW MGR. ( ) OTHERS
SUBSCRIBE TODAY! Antiques & Auction News
P.O. Box 500, Mount Joy, PA 17552 1 Year, 3rd Class . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $28.00 6 Months, 1st Class . . . . . . . . .