Alfred J Peacock

download Alfred J Peacock

of 15

  • date post

  • Category


  • view

  • download


Embed Size (px)


PIONEER HISTORY OF Alfred James Peacock (1838 – 1891)

Transcript of Alfred J Peacock

  • 1. PIONEER HISTORY OF Alfred James Peacock (1838 1891) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Alfred James Peacock Born: 4 Mar 1838 Watford, Hertfordshire, England Baptism/christening date: 15 Apr 1838 Baptism/Christening Place: ST. MARYS, Watford, Hertfordshire, England Immigration: 4 May 1856 from Liverpool, England aboard ship Thorton Died: 15 Jan 1891, Salt Lake City, Utah The parish church of St Mary the Virgin, Watford, Hertfordshire, England was built in 1230 on the same site as an earlier Saxon church Alfred James Peacock. During 1856, at a spunky age of 18, he was recorded as working in Watford, England as a cardmaker or a pipe maker. He appears to be the first member of the Peacock family to affiliate himself with the LDS Church and to immigrate to Utah. On 4 May 1856 Alfred James Peacock, along with 763 members of the LDS Church, boarded the ship Thornton at Liverpool, England and sailed for America with an ultimate destination being Utah. They arrived in New York on 14 June 1856 then made their way to Iowa City, Iowa and became the members of the 3rd and 4th Hand Cart Companies. Alfred James Peacock, along with about 500 individuals, 100 handcarts, and 5 wagons, started the journey to Utah as the 4th Hand Cart Company.
  • 2. Along the way many members decided to drop out and wait for the following spring. At Florence, Nebraska about 100 members decided to stay behind until spring time. Winter began to show itself and supplies became short. 30 Sept. 1856, the Co. arrived at Fort Laramie in Wyoming. On Sunday, 12 Oct. 1856, Alfred Peacock and Geo [William] Edwick left the 4th Handcart Company and returned to Fort Laramie. The 4th Handcart Company moved on and arrived in Salt Lake Valley: 9 November 1856. Foet Laramie 1850s Sunday 12th Oct. Alfred Peacock & George (William) Edwick left our company & returned towards Fort Laramie We do not have any history about Alfred James Peacock after he left the 4th Handcart Co on 12 Oct. 1856, near Ft. Laramie in Wyoming until his death on 15 Jan 1891 in Salt Lake City, Utah. His friend, William Edwick who left the 4th Handcart Co with him, died in Salt Lake City two years later (1858). It is probable they both came to Salt Lake City, Utah during the spring/summer of 1857. There is no history indicating he visited other members of the Peacock Family who lived in Smithfield, Utah. However, starting during 1866-67 his sister, Martha Peacock, lived in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is likely that they had some contact. Records show Alfred James Peacocks occupation was Saloon Keeper. He appears to have been a member of the Masonic Lodge in Salt Lake City, Utah. Frequently Seen in Salt Lake City 1885-1990
  • 3. 23 Sept 1885 Salt Lake Tribune: Page 4 Column 4 CITY COUNCIL FUNERAL NOTICE JANUARY 17, 1891 THE DAILY TRIBUNE: SALT LAKE CITY UTAH, SATURDAY MORNING, JANUARY 17, 1891, Page 8 Some words very hard to read FUNERAL NOTICE All Members of Salt Lake Valley Lodge No 13 (?), ANUW (A?UW) Are requested to ????? at their Hall at 9:30 Sunday, January 18, 1891, to attend the funeral of our late Bro. Peacock, at residence, at 11 a.m. Members of Temple Lodge No (??), and sojourning brothers, cordially invited C.H. KAULER, M W. The following are excerpts from sources related to the ship Thorton and the Willie 4th Handcart Co. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Rosters and Passenger Lists: Peacock, Alfred J., 1856, NA, NA, Perpetual Emigration Fund (Book)-Microfilm 25686 Peacock, Alfred I., 1856, NA, Thornton, Ship roster on microfilm(s) 175519 25691 Peacock, Alfred, 1856, 18, James G. Willie, Handcart Roster in Our Pioneer Heritage Peacock, Alfred, 1856, 18, Willie, Handcarts to Zion, pages 289-294 Peacock, Alfred, 1856, NA, James G. Willie, Deseret News Oct-15-1856 Vol. 6 p. 254 EMIGTATION RECORD: Alfred J. Pecock at age 18 yrs. Ship: Thornto: Date of Departure: 4 May 1856, Port of Departure: Liverpool, England LDS Immigrants: 764 Church Leader: James G. Willie Date of Arrival: 14 Jun 1856 Port of Arrival: New York, New York Depart New York City 15th June 1856 Arrived Iowa City: 26th June 1856 Departed Iowa City: 15 July 1856 with James G. Willie Company, 4th Handcart Co. Alfred J. Peacock, Leaves the Handcart Co 12 Oct. 1856, Returns to Ft. Laramie 4th Handcart Co. Arrive in Salt Lake Valley: 9 November 1856
  • 4. Excerpts from the Thorton vorage, trek to Iowa City, and members of the 4th Handcart Company: Ship: 1422 tons: 191' x 40' x 29' Built: 1854 by William H. Webb at New York City, New York She was owned by Williams & Guion of New York City and in 1858 was listed in the Warren & Thayer Line. This ship traded in the Atlantic until she was lost at sea in 1869 A Mormon emigrant company that in a few months would encounter much hardship and tragedy sailed from Liverpool for America in the large square-rigged Thornton on 4 May 1856. Presiding over the 764 Saints on board was Elder James G. Willie. This chartered vessel was commanded by her part-owner, Captain Charles Collins. After a forty-one-day passage the Thornton arrived at New York City on 14 June. From there the Saints traveled by rail to Iowa City, and about five hundred of the emigrants organized a handcart company. However, their trek to Great Salt Lake City started late in the season and was marked by suffering and disaster. Over sixty Saints died on the historic journey, and the remainder arrived in a pitiful condition. Thorton: SHIPS ROSTER PEACOCK, Alfred J. Age: 18 Origin: England Occ: Cardmaker 235 Alfred Peacock: Age 18, Male, Occupation: pipe maker. LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND TO NEW YORK, USA "DEPARTURE. -- The ship Thornton, Captain Collins, cleared on May 3rd , 1856 and sailed on the May 4th , 1856 for New York, with 764 souls of the Saints on board (560 adults, 172 children, 29 infants), 484 of the total number were P. [Perpetual] E. [Emigration] F. [Fund] emigrants, expected to cross the plains with hand-carts. Considerable sickness prevailed among the emigrants of whom a number were old and sickly, Seven deaths, three births and two marriages took place on board On 14th June 1856 the Thornton arrived at New York, and a tug boat landed the emigrants at Castle Garden, where they were kindly received by Apostle John Taylor and Elder Nathaniel H. Felt. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- There was one cook stove for each deck and our family was allowed to use it for an hour each week. The ship's diet was largely bean biscuit soaked overnight. This would still be dry in the center in the morning. But we were happy and after a voyage of forty-one days we landed in New York, Saturday Evening, June 4, 1856. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- LIVERPOOL TO NEW YORK Journal of James G. Willie Aboard Thorton Departed: 4 May 1856 . Monday 5th May. [p.2] Sea sickness soon began to be experienced with the exception of a few all felt its effects, and many were unable to rise from their beds during the day. The Captain, Doctor and Officers were very kind, and did all in their power to promote our comfort. Saturday 17th May. Strong gales throughout from the west, very heavy head sea. 4 p.m. tacked north. But few troubled with sea sickness.
  • 5. Thursday 22nd May. All the Saints came on deck, general good health prevailed. A meeting was called between decks by President Willie to take into consideration the necessity of more strictly guarding the interest of those committed to our care and among other things the necessity of the young men removing to the forepart of the ship, and all young men were to be at their berths by 10 p.m. President Willie and Elder Atwood spoke and a number of the brethren were appointed sergeants of the guard. Friday 30th May. fine, clear weather, large icebergs in sight. At 4 p.m. Clipper ship passed at midnight foggy, a number of icebergs around, weather very cold. Tacked south for. Passengers enjoying good health and spirits. With regret we have to relate that an accident occurred at 4 p.m Saturday 7th June. Comes in fine and clear, high airs from the east round to the south, ends strong breeze, thick fog. Mary F. Lark, daughter of William and Mary Lark, died at 3 a.m. of consumption, aged 10 years, buried at 12 noon. Saturday 14th. This morning a clear sky and favorable wind 4 a.m. tacked ship and stood for Sandy Hook. At 8 a.m. steam boat Achilles came along side, Captain Collins engaged her to tow us to New York. General stir among the passengers all getting ready to land; good feeling prevailing. Doctor came on board off Staten Island and gave a certificate of the good health of the passengers. The Custom House also came and passed our luggage without any inspection. At sun down we landed at Castle Gardens, a large building appropriated for emigrants, where we were visited by Elder Felt who kindly welcomed us. IN NEW YORK New York Herald More Mormons The good ship Thornton, from