Aalto Social Impact
Embed Size (px)
Kickoff meeting presentaion on 26th March at Aalto Venture Park
Transcript of Aalto Social Impact
- 1. Kick-off Meeting, 26 March 2010
- Knowledge is not enough,
- it must be used;
- Will is not enough,
- we also must act.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 4. ASI MISSION & VISION
- Our Mission:
- To increase social well-being locally and globally through innovations, shared expertise, and new synergy of academia, industry, and society.
- To affect public agenda, current practices, and policy making by supporting existing and launching new research and social impact projects.
- Our Vision:
- Aalto Social Impact (ASI) will become an icon for creating more well-being. ASI and Aalto University will be branding Finnish core values and success factors (e.g. welfare society, caring, education, design) worldwide.
- 5. ASI - HOW WE PLAN TO DO IT?
- Enable people to act and share through various activities:
- 1) Lectures - raising awareness of social problems - motivating and inspiring people to act
- 2) Discussion groups - brainstorming on social problems (sometimes w/o owner), leading to action - supporting existing social impact projects - launching new social impact projects
- 3) Workshops - giving hands-on learning experiences - contributing by supporting existing social impact projects
- 4) Blog & Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, ning.com, etc.) - facilitating sharing of information and teaming up
- 5) General Gatherings (beginning and end of academic semesters) - reporting on showcased projects and follow-up on measurement of impact
- 6) Teaching & Research (deep learning) - giving the tools to understand the systemic and challenging problems of our world - enabling students to apply theoretical framework to solving real world problems (HtCtW, low cost solution for extreme affordability situations, and more in the future) - expanding research on social innovation/impact work within Aalto University
- 6. Whats In It For Me? In The End, Everybody Wins STUDENTS RESEARCHERS & UNIVERSITY STAFF NGO, INSTITUTIONS & COMPANIES AALTO UNIVERSITY
- Study real-world problems and solve them with experts (deep learning)
- Work & learn in social projects (be a change, hands-on practice)
- Empowerment & surpassing oneself
- Career planning opportunity (get engaged)
- Research opportunities
- Combine work with real world impact (research opportunities & funding)
- Improve teaching standards (knowledge building)
- Visibility and network
- Bring forward social problems/challenges from their own perspective
- Solve problems with limited resources
- Link to latest research & thinking
- Social sabbatical of professionals to ASI (self renewal)
- Good CSR
- Increased social impact (giving back to society)
- Build brand as social impact university (globally)
- Active role in contemporary issues (designing the future)
- Contribute back to University (to students) and Society
- 7. ASI CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
- We want to create an energising & passionate culture of social impact within Aalto University! A Can-do attitude of creativity
- by solving social problems in an innovative/creative way using tools such as empathy, CSR, social Media, social entrepreneurship, design thinking, Arts, etc.
- Aalto Social impact offers a framework but it will be up to the community to make it become alive by participating, contributing, volunteering, shaping new ideas, creating new social projects, etc.
- Call for help - Attend and contribute to our discussion groups - become an active v olunteer (and be a shaper of the initiative) - Help us develop more teaching courses relate to social impact, such as HtCtW course (or new Product development courses on possibly extreme affordability) - contribute in shaping workshops and bringing content, expertise, etc.
- You can contact us at: [email_address] or find us around Design Factory Cafeteria and Aalto Venture Garage
- Come on board and lets innovate together for the social good!
- 8. SNEAK PEAK OF SOME ASI SPRING EVENTS:
- You want to get a personal invitation/notification to our forthcoming events? Dont forget to put your name on the mailing list https:// list.hut.fi/mailman/listinfo/aaltosocialimpact
- 7 April: 1st Discussion Group
- Open mic session - pitches and working groups. You have an interesting social idea/problem? You already work on a social impact project and you need collaboration with others? Contact us in advance to reserve a slot to address the audience at: [email_address]
- 8 April: Lecture given by Philosopher Professor Esa Saarinen 1st Lecture on inspiration, motivation and meaningful things in life
- 13 April: Workshop on project management and team work Sign up for a highly interactive workshop given by Tommi Vihervaara, Student Business Project Coordinator, Aalto University (HSE). The workshop is intended for those who wish to get involved but dont know how to start and what to do.
- 28 May: Lecture given by Professor Howard Gardner on GoodWork Project, Professor of Cognition and Education and Adjunct Professor of Psychology at Harvard Graduate School of Education
- 9. THANK YOU
- Get to know the world
- and learn to work together!
- Hans Rosling
- Make Aalto University
- an innovative place for social impact
- 10. ASI 1st Project Pitches
- Empathy Project
- Critical thinking through new media tools for urban families in India
- HIV/AIDS Orphanage in Swaziland
- Ylmummo Heilahtaa technological aids for the aging population
- Social Innovation Camps for Low-carbon Lifestyles
- Stove Development, Forestry and Agriculture in Kenya
- Go visit www.aaltosi.org for more information on each of the project and find the contact details