This slide show is an outcome of Creative Strategies of Sustainability (CSOS), an Engine Room Europe project for Trans Europe Halles, led by ufaFabrik, Berlin, Germany, Project Manager Sigrid Niemer. ufaFabrik is a pioneering independent cultural centre in the field of sustainability and together Trans Europe Halles network defining sustainability as a way of thinking on how to improve the living environment and well being of citizens and communities driven by the development of cultural vitality, social equity, environmental sustainability and economic prosperity. Text by Sandy Fitzgerald. Further information: www.teh.net and www.ufafabrik.de
1. 8 s t e p s to a M o r e Su sta in a bl e Bu il d in g
2. 1. Green mark everything! Mark all energy consuming outlets with clear green stickers reminding users of the DOs and DONTs of usage: lights, heating, cookers, water etc. Check electricity, gas and water use every month and try to reduce usage. This will save you money too!
3. 2. Save Water! Check for leaks, including underground leaks, and mend. One dripping tap can waste 20,000 liters of water a year! Signs over sinks could read 5 liters of water comes out of this tap per minute dont waste it! Look for water efficiency labels on products. If you dont have a water meter, install one.
4. 3. Turn it off! Make sure all rooms not in use have their lights and heating off.Make sure all machines and appliances not in use are turned off. In particular, check the building before leaving at night.
5. 4. Insulate! Heat escapes through walls, windows and roofs. Start with easy and cheap insulation: make sure all gaps, cracks and holes are filled; insulate attics; seal windows and doors.
6. 5. Recycle! Set up recycling in your building, creating clear and useable bins for separating trash in a way that works for local recycling collection. Install a wormery for the conversion of organic matter into fertiliser that you can then use or even sell!
7. 6. Trash Management Buy in bulk and cut down on packaging. Use reusable bags and boxes. Ban junk mail. Use reusable cups, plates, cutlery etc.Give away or sell unwanted items. Reuse packaging, plastic bags, containers, envelopes etc.
8. 7. Choose Efficient Products Install energy efficient bulbs. Look for appliances with the Energy Star label or look for the appliance star rating.
9. 8. Active Intervention Build sustainability awareness within your whole team. Everyone should have ownership of a sustainability policy. The team appoints and actively supports someone to be responsible for sustainability issues. Draw up a plan that this person then implements e.g. they check energy usage on a monthly basis; set up and monitor the trash recycling; make sure the building is switched off every night; etc.
10. Background This slide show is an outcome of Creative Strategies of Sustainability (CSOS), an Engine Room Europe project for Trans Europe Halles, led by ufaFabrik, Berlin, Germany, Project Manager Sigrid Niemer. Thanks to Werner Wiartalla and Camille De Wit for contributions to this slide show. Further information: www.teh.net and www.ufafabrik.deEngine Room Europe is a three year programme (April 2011-May 2014) of activities dedicated toindependent cultural workers and their creative processes. It is initiated by Trans Europe Halles(TEH) and co-ordinated by Melkweg (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) in association with 10 co-organ-izing TEH members. Engine Room Europe has been funded with the support of the European Com-mission. This publication [communication] reflects the view only of the author, and the Commissioncannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.Text: Sandy Fitzgerald This publication is produced under a Creative CommonsCover Photograph: ufaFabrik, Berlin Licence 3.0 Unported (Attribution Non-CommercialLayout: Sandy Fitzgerald, Anna Weitz Share Alike). You may copy, distribute and show inGraphic design: Daan Drubbel public the texts and translations for non-commercial purposes. Trans Europe Halles, 2013 Download your copy at www.teh.net