4.6 Warm Up Warm Up Lesson Quiz Lesson Quiz Lesson Presentation Lesson Presentation Use Congruent...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of 4.6 Warm Up Warm Up Lesson Quiz Lesson Quiz Lesson Presentation Lesson Presentation Use Congruent...
- Slide 1
- 4.6 Warm Up Warm Up Lesson Quiz Lesson Quiz Lesson Presentation Lesson Presentation Use Congruent Triangles
- Slide 2
- 4.6 Warm-Up Suppose that XYZ RST. Complete each statement. ANSWER T RS 1.XY ? 2. Z ? ANSWER Y 3.m S = m ?
- Slide 3
- 4.6 Warm-Up ANSWER 50 4. If A B, m A = (2x + 40), and m B = (3x 10), find x.
- Slide 4
- 4.6 Example 1 Explain how you can use the given information to prove that the hang glider parts are congruent. SOLUTION RTQ RTS GIVEN: 1 2, PROVE: QT ST If you can show that QRT SRT, you will know that QT ST.
- Slide 5
- 4.6 Example 1 First, copy the diagram and mark the given information. Then add the information you can deduce. In this case, RQT and RST are supplementary to congruent angles, so RQT RST. Also, RT RT. Mark given information. Add deduced information. Two angle pairs and a non-included side are congruent, so by the AAS Congruence Theorem, QRT SRT. Because corresponding parts of congruent triangles are congruent, QT ST.
- Slide 6
- 4.6 Guided Practice 1. Explain how you can prove that A C. Since BD BD by the Reflexive Property, the triangles are congruent by SSS. So, A C because they are corresponding parts of congruent triangles. ANSWER
- Slide 7
- 4.6 Example 2 Surveying Use the following method to find the distance across a river, from point N to point P. Place a stake at K on the near side so that NK NP Find M, the midpoint of NK. Locate the point L so that NK KL and L, P, and M are collinear. Explain how this plan allows you to find the distance.
- Slide 8
- 4.6 Example 2 SOLUTION The vertical angles KML and NMP are congruent. So, MLK MPN by the ASA Congruence Postulate. Then, because corresponding parts of congruent triangles are congruent, KL NP. So, you can find the distance NP across the river by measuring KL. Because NK NP and NK KL, N and K are congruent right angles. Because M is the midpoint of NK, NM KM.
- Slide 9
- 4.6 Example 3 Use the given information to write a plan for proof. SOLUTION GIVEN: 1 2, 3 4 PROVE: BCD DCE In BCE and DCE, you know 1 2 and CE CE. If you can show that CB CD, you can use the SAS Congruence Postulate.
- Slide 10
- 4.6 Example 3 CBA CDA. You are given 1 2 and 3 4. CA CA by the Reflexive Property. You can use the ASA Congruence Postulate to prove that CBA CDA. To prove that CB CD, you can first prove that Plan for Proof Use the ASA Congruence Postulate to prove that CBA CDA. Then state that CB CD. Use the SAS Congruence Postulate to prove that BCE DCE.
- Slide 11
- 4.6 Guided Practice 2. In Example 2, does it matter how far from point N you place a stake at point K ? Explain. ANSWER No, since M is the midpoint of NK, NM MK. No matter how far apart the stakes at K and M are placed, the triangles will be congruent by ASA.
- Slide 12
- 4.6 Guided Practice 3. Using the information in the diagram at the right, write a plan to prove that PTU UQP. ANSWER Since you already know that TU QP and UP PU, you need only show PT UQ to prove the triangles are congruent by SSS. This can be done by showing right triangles QSP and TRU are congruent by HL leading to right triangles USQ and PRT being congruent by HL which gives you PT UQ.
- Slide 13
- 4.6 Example 4 Write a proof to verify that the construction for copying an angle is valid. SOLUTION Add BC and EF to the diagram. In the construction, AB, DE, AC, and DF are all determined by the same compass setting, as are BC and EF. So, you can assume the following as given statements. GIVEN: AB DE, AC DF, BC EF PROVE: D A
- Slide 14
- 4.6 Example 4 STATEMENTS REASONS Plan in Action Plan For Proof Show that CAB FDE, so you can conclude that the corresponding parts A and D are congruent. 1. Given 1. AB DE, AC DF, BC EF 2. SSS Congruence Postulate 2. FDE CAB 3. D A 3. Corresp. parts of are.
- Slide 15
- 4.6 Guided Practice 4. Look back at the construction of an angle bisector in Explore 4 on page 34. What segments can you assume are congruent? AC and AB ANSWER
- Slide 16
- 4.6 Lesson Quiz Tell which triangles you can show are congruent in order to prove AE = DE. What postulate or theorem would you use? 1. ANSWER AEC DEB by the AAS Cong. Thm. or by the ASA Cong. Post.
- Slide 17
- 4.6 Lesson Quiz Write a plan to prove 1 2. 2. ANSWER Show LM LM by the Refl. Prop. of Segs. Hence OLM NML by the SAS Cong. Post. This gives NLM OML, since Corr. Parts of are. So 1 2 by the Vert. Thm. and properties of. s s s