14 Tips for Process Safety Management
Embed Size (px)
Process Safety Management (PSM) is a concern in any of the industries who store, handle and process hazardous chemicals & gases. The risks related to process safety are often managed in an isolated way. This presentation will help organisations to manage process safety risks in a more structured fashion.
Transcript of 14 Tips for Process Safety Management
- www.verde.co.in Process Safety lack of awareness could be costlier than you thought Are your process safety risks under control?
- Inspiring Excellence about the presentation Process Safety Management (PSM) is a concern in any of the industries who store, handle and process hazardous chemicals & gases. The risks related to process safety are often managed in an isolated way. This presentation will help organisations to manage process safety risks in a more structured fashion. www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Download your free e-book on Process Safety Click Here www.verde.co.in You should download your e-book here.. Its free!
- Inspiring Excellence Now on the subject: Process Safety www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence What is Process Safety Management System? The Process Safety Management System is a comprehensive management system that proactively avoids incidents in the hazardous industries like chemical plants, oil and gas installations, fertilizer, pharmaceutical, explosives and that handle, store or process toxic or flammable chemicals. www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Process Safety Management System integrates different aspects of risks in a facility and puts them under the control of a management system. By establishing a risk based awareness of the safety impacts of technology, personnel and the management, the system provides a dynamic environment for continual improvement.
- Process Safety Management System Input Output Process Resources - Equipment - Infrastructure - Human Resource Controls - Quality / Productivity - Safety 14 Elements of Process Safety Safety Process Management Plan Do Check Act Process Industries like O&G, Fertilizer, Pesticides, Chemical, Pharmaceutical, Explosives etc. Processes in any other industry ApplicabilityStorage Handling Emissions / Waste Utilities www.verde.co.in
- 14ELEMENTS of Process Safety Element 1: Employee participation Element 2: Process Safety Information Element 3: Process Hazard Analysis Element 4: Operating Procedures Element 5: Safe work practices Element 61: Contractor control Element 7: Training Element 8: Pre-Start up Safety Review Element 9: Mechanical integrity Element 10: Management of Change Element 11: Emergency response planning Element 12: Trade secrets Element 13: Incident Investigation Element 14: Compliance audits www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence These 14 elements follow a simple management system framework www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Hazard Information from Employees Process Safety Information Hazard Identification Risk Assessment Prioritization Hierarchy of Controls: Elimination Substitution Engineering Control Admin Control PPE Operating procedures Safe work practices Contractor control Training Pre-Start up safety Review Mechanical integrity Management of change Emergency response planning Trade secrets Element # 1 Element # 2 Element # 3 Element # 4 - 12 Set ControlsProcess Hazard Analysis Compliance Audits Element # 13 Incident Investigation Element # 14 Plan Do Check & Act www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Action Points Develop a written plan of action to implement the employee participation required by PSM. Consult provide platforms to share their views, advices, suggestions, alerts Involve people in hazard identification and analysis process Provide access to safety information 1 Employee Participation www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Process Safety Information: 2 a compilation of written process safety information that helps to identify and understand the hazards posed by those processes involving highly hazardous chemicals. www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Process safety information must include : Hazards of the highly hazardous chemicals in the process shall consist of at least the following: Toxicity Permissible exposure limits Physical data Reactivity data Corrosivity data, and Thermal and chemical stability data, and hazardous effects of inadvertent mixing of different materials www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence A block flow diagram or simplified process flow diagram, Process chemistry Maximum intended inventory Safe upper and lower limits for such items as temperatures, pressures, flows or compositions, and An evaluation of the consequences of deviations, including those affecting the safety and health of employees Information on the technology of the process must include at least the following: www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Methods What-if Checklist What-if/checklist Hazard and operability study (HAZOP) Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) Fault tree analysis An appropriate equivalent methodology Process Hazard Analysis identifying, evaluating, and controlling the hazards of processes involving highly hazardous chemicals. 3 www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Tasks and procedures related to the covered process must be appropriate, clear, consistent, and most importantly, well communicated to employees. Steps for each operating phase: Initial start up Normal operations Temporary operations Emergency shutdown, Emergency operations Normal shutdown and Start up following a turnaround or after an emergency shut-down 4Operating Procedure www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Operating limits: Consequences of deviation, and steps required correcting or avoiding deviation. Safety and health considerations Properties of, and hazards presented by, the chemicals used in the process Precautions necessary to prevent exposure, including engineering controls, administrative controls, and personal protective equipment Control measures to be taken if physical contact or airborne exposure occurs Quality control for raw materials and control of hazardous chemical inventory levels; and Any special or unique hazards Safety systems (e.g., interlocks, detection or suppression systems) and their functions www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence The employer must develop and implement safe work practices to provide for the control of hazards during work activities such as Lockout / tagout Confined space entry Opening process equipment or piping; and Access control over entrance into a facility by maintenance, contractor, laboratory, or other support personnel These safe work practices must equally apply both to employees and to contractor employees. 5 Safe work practice www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Contractor Control 6 PSM includes special provisions for contractors and their employees to emphasize the importance of everyone taking care that they do nothing to endanger those working nearby who may work for another employer. www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Training: Initial Training Refresher Training Training Documentation is important 7 www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Prior to the introduction of a highly hazardous chemical to a process, the pre-start-up safety review must confirm that the following: The constructions and equipments are in accordance with design specifications Safety, operating, maintenance, and emergency procedures are in place and are adequate A process hazard analysis has been performed for new facilities and recommendations have been resolved or implemented before start up, and modified facilities meet the management of change requirements; and Training of each employee involved in operating a process has been completed 8Pre Start up Safety Review www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Mechanical Integrity: Pressure vessels and storage tanks Piping systems (including piping components such as valves) Relief and vent systems and devices Emergency shutdown systems Controls (including monitoring devices and sensors, alarms and interlocks); and Pumps 9 www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Management of change These written procedures must ensure The technical basis for the proposed change Impact of the change on employee safety and health Modifications to operating procedures Necessary time period for the change, and Authorization requirements for the proposed change 10 www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Use of a Problem Solving Technique Incident Investigation Incident Accident Near Miss Correction Corrective Action Preventive Action 11 www.verde.co.in
- Inspiring Excellence Emergency Planning & Response 12 www.verde.co.in Identification o