10 Easy Steps to Help Grads Get a Job
Embed Size (px)
We’ve all been there. You needed some time to relax after graduation and now you’re (almost) ready to kick it into gear. Let us help you get off the couch—and into a job. For more Career Development insights, check out the collection of training courses on lynda.com: http://www.lynda.com/Career-Development-training-tutorials/1295-0.html?utm_source=slideshare&utm_medium=viral&utm_campaign=graduation14
Transcript of 10 Easy Steps to Help Grads Get a Job
- Get a Job. No, Seriously. Its Time.
- Step 1: You graduated. Then you napped. Weve all been there. You needed some time to relax after graduation and now youre (almost) ready to kick it into gear. Let us help you get off the couchand into a job.
- Step 2: Conquer procrastination. Yes, today. Your job search doesnt have to be arduous. Break it into little pieces that you can work through quickly.
- Learn how to fight distraction and avoid being overwhelmed by your job search. Watch videos on next slides >
- Step 3: Primp your online persona Time to do some cleanup on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn so potential employers find nothing but impressive things when they Google you. (You know theyre going to Google you, right?)
- Clean up your online persona by changing the privacy settings of your old social posts. Watch video on next slide >
- Step 4: Get Linked to get hired You dont need a ton of job experience to rock an impressive LinkedIn profile.
- Learn five ways you can update your LinkedIn profile to make it stand out from the crowd. Watch video on next slide >
- Step 5: Is your resum ravishing? Make yourself marketable with a standout resum. Well show you how to write and design the resum that gets your foot in the door.
- Show your best side to potential employers by exploring how to design a winning resum. Watch video on next slide >
- Step 6: No experience? No problem Now that you know what a gorgeous resum looks like, find out how to make even limited experience shine.
- Improve your resum by putting your education to work and showcasing your achievements, not your former job duties. Watch videos on next slides >
- Step 7: Weve got your cover letter covered Write a cover letter that will get you noticed. Keep it short, sell yourself in the first line, and make it obvious how much time you spent researching the company.
- Explore these handy tips for crafting a eye-catching cover letter to accompany your resum. Watch video on next slide >
- Step 8: Connections are key Its not always what you knowits who you know. Get old-school and new-school tips on networking.
- Make strong in-person, social media, and local community connections that will strengthen your professional network. Watch videos on next slides >
- Step 9: You got an interview! Congrats, youve got an interview! Being prepared will put you at ease so you can present the best version of yourself.
- Enter your big interview with confidence by anticipating and preparing for questions and taking every opportunity to make a memorable first impression. Watch videos on next slides >
- Step 10-a: Got a job offer? Theres an offer on the table. Now what? Learn how to review the offer and negotiate your salary.
- Get an edge on salary negotiations with potential employers by writing a strong negotiation story in advance. Watch videos on next slides >
- Step 10-b: Didnt get a call back? Never give up! Job hunting is hard for seasoned professionals and recent grads alike. The good news is you can do most of this stuff without even leaving the couch.
- Dont get discouragedwatch these videos to help you manage your frustration and anxiety when job hunting runs longer than expected. Watch video on next slide >